cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Don't know why these aren't offered here

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I, myself, do not care for the limited headroom at the corners of an A-frame hard walled camper. Therefore, they aren't appealing to me as a consumer.

I never understood why makers build limited and cramped A frame designs instead of this design, which is essentially the same but with full height roof corner to corner. This 4 wall + roof design is what I'd consider. It would be really great in a 16' to 18' box.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.
25 REPLIES 25

donrebyct
Explorer
Explorer
What is that? I've never seen one before. Looks like a great concept.

I have a correction from a post a few days ago. The 60s folding hardwall trailer was the Rolite. Check them out on Google. It was a good concept that needed refining. I have no idea how much they cost new, but there are a few still around.

Don

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
sushidog wrote:
rbpru wrote:
Trail Manor, A liner and Chalets are all great units; but the sad fact is you can buy a lot of gas for the price difference between them and a TT of similar floor footage. Hence, its sales will likely be limited. Like Airstream TTs this is a unique market.

It certainly will appeal to those who require a compact camper and easy towing.

You are correct. You van buy a lot of gas for the difference between a regular TT and my Aliner - but you can't pull a TT with a 4 cyl car like I can my Aliner. In fact I towed my Aliner well over 40,000 miles (My Chevy Cobalt tow vehicle now has 291,000 miles so I decided to retire it from towing) with no problems whatsoever, returning 22-26 mpg depending on speed and terrain. The 3/4 ton diesel I now have gets about 17mpg towing it. So over the 40,000 miles of towing I saved about $2,400 in fuel costs, compared to if I had been towing with my current truck (which I just purchased to pull a larger trailer for FT use in a few years.)

So the cost of buying, insuring, maintaining (I just spent $700 to have all my diesel fluids and filters changed - wow) and repairing this truck would also have had to be taken into consideration, which is many times the typical fuel savings. Then there's the trailer storage issue for many who aren't allowed to store their TT at home, but can easily fit an Aliner in their carport or garage. This can be $100 a month or more in some areas.

Just another perspective, but buying, insuring and maintaining a seperate TV is an expensive proposition for many who only have one or two small commuter cars. Now if you already own a truck, then the extra $5,000-$10,000 or so these expensive hardsided PUPs will initially cost (if purchased new) may not make financial sense. Of course one could always purchase a good, lightly used Aliner like I did and save 1/2 of this difference up front.

Chip

I agree 100% !!!
I wanted Aliner too, but can't find model that is big enough to accommodate 4 adult comfortably.
I liked this concept...

A Girl vs RV world - I know I can do this!
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon +
2015 Jayco SLX 184BH + Andersen No Sway WDH

sushidog
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Trail Manor, A liner and Chalets are all great units; but the sad fact is you can buy a lot of gas for the price difference between them and a TT of similar floor footage. Hence, its sales will likely be limited. Like Airstream TTs this is a unique market.

You are correct. You van buy a lot of gas for the difference between a regular TT and my Aliner - but you can't pull a TT with a 4 cyl car like I can my Aliner. In fact I towed my Aliner well over 40,000 miles (My Chevy Cobalt tow vehicle now has 291,000 miles so I decided to retire it from towing) with no problems whatsoever, returning 22-26 mpg depending on speed and terrain. The 3/4 ton diesel I now have gets about 17mpg towing it. So over the 40,000 miles of towing I saved about $2,400 in fuel costs, compared to if I had been towing with my current truck (which I just purchased to pull a larger trailer for FT use in a few years.)

So the cost of buying, insuring, maintaining (I just spent $700 to have all my diesel fluids and filters changed - wow) and repairing this truck would also have had to be taken into consideration, which is many times the typical fuel savings. Then there's the trailer storage issue for many who aren't allowed to store their TT at home, but can easily fit an Aliner in their carport or garage. This can be $100 a month or more in some areas.

Just another perspective, but buying, insuring and maintaining a seperate TV is an expensive proposition for many who only have one or two small commuter cars. Now if you already own a truck, then the extra $5,000-$10,000 or so these expensive hardsided PUPs will initially cost (if purchased new) may not make financial sense. Of course one could always purchase a good, lightly used Aliner like I did and save 1/2 of this difference up front.

Chip
1999 National Tropical
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Basecamp also had a nice Apache style hard side Pop Up but it was about $30,000 and went out of business rather quickly. I feel if it weren't so expensive, they'd still be around. trailmanor I think is pushing it also, but their campers are bigger with more options so people are willing to pay more.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

donrebyct
Explorer
Explorer
There was a folding wall trailer in the 60s. I believe the name was Rollahome, or something like that. I remember seeing some over the years, and thought that was a neat concept. I wanted to buy one that I saw while in school in the 70s, but it sold before I could get my act (money) together.
I'm sure there is a web site dedicated to the trailer. I need to check.
Don

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Hi-Lo and Trail Manor both make similar trailers in the USA. I tend to think the market for such is far bigger in Europe than in the USA. With gas being about $8.50 a gallon in the UK small light trailers make more sense.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you think there is a market, start up a company to build it. Businesses get started on the "why don't they" questions.

I've seen hard-side folders with pull out bunks and all walls hard, from 60's or 70's in a couple diiferent campgrounds here, but nothing recently other than TrailManor in the "open by hand" category. Smallest HiLo models were similar size, but whole different category on price and weight.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
My hard-side Palomino works well for me.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
ElBesoBlanco wrote:
Mike, that cartoon is hilarious...you description made me chuckle!

:B :B

Our daughter loves Dumbo and that scene seemed so fitting. ๐Ÿ™‚

lasttruck
Explorer
Explorer
I'm only 6', but find our Chalet to have plenty of headroom.

Our old Alpine, had the bubbles which I did not have to take advantage of for height.

It all comes down to the floor plan and use.
07 F150
10 Chalet XL1935
15 Fleetwood Brittany Park
Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website
Evergreen Coho SKP Park on Facebook

ElBesoBlanco
Explorer
Explorer
Mike, that cartoon is hilarious...you description made me chuckle!
Greetings from eastern Washington!
2012 Flagstaff T12SDTH (Hardsided Toyhauler Pop Up)

Wakita46
Explorer
Explorer
I would have considered it before I bought my Aliner. I suspect the weight and tongue weight would be way too high for my TV though.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I had thought that your main attraction to the Pennine was the combination of pop up roof and hard walls. Now I understand that there were other factors.

Some A-frame builders offer a 'high wall' model, which gives a few more inches of head room. Aliner and Chalet even have dormers now, for tons of head space at the ends. But yes, I understand your concern.

My Aliner is set up with a full time bed in back (regular mattress) instead of the 'sofa' across the back. And sitting along the side wall at the front dinette is no problem at all.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point