cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone flat tow Toyota Tacoma 4x4

wbrowning
Explorer
Explorer
Can you flat tow a Tacoma 4 wheel drive either auto trans or standard trans.
21 REPLIES 21

Jackalope
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
The 4x4 Toyotas do have a neutral position in the transfer case and I was told by a salesman and his boss that you can tow it four down and in neutral just like the Jeep and Dodge's. I pointed out to them that the owners manual said the vehicle could not be towed four down. They said Toyota just put that in there for liability purposes. So I told them I'd buy the truck under the condition that we have a side contract that states that I intend to tow it four down and that the dealership agreed to take full responsibility in the event of any issues regarding warranty work that may be voided because of my towing it four down. They would not agree to such a contract so I didn't not buy the truck. Got the Dodge Dakota 4x4 instead and it is towable four down and it is approved by Dodge to be towed that way.

The Toyota cannot be towed. Without the transmission turning, the output shaft receives no lubrication and will burn up being flat towed.

moose888
Explorer
Explorer
I checked it out when I first started looking for something to tow. I have a 1992 toyota truck 4x4 5 speed V6 auto hubs said it can't be towed.

myersc
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2003 toyota tacoma v6 crew cab automatic 4 wheel drive. I use a remco drive shaft disconnect that I found used for half price of a new one. It works great and I've had it a few times on some hairy off road tours with no problems.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Same as our Frontier. Only difference is Nissan says OK to tow the manual transmission-equipped Frontier and Toyota said don't tow any of their Tacomas. I would venture, however, that there's not much reason not to. Nissan wants the engine idled in Neutral every several hours. I forget how many and won't worry about it since we don't go that far.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
-paul, you tow with transfer case 2WD High and manual transmission Neutral, correct?
If so, that matches Nissan's instructions for manual transmission Frontier, but doesn't help (read that "doesn't allow") towing with automatic transmission.

That is correct. The transfer case is in the 2WD High position and the manual tranny (6 speed) is in neutral. Also, I need to keep the key in the ACC position. The truck does not clock any mileage while in tow.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
-paul, you tow with transfer case 2WD High and manual transmission Neutral, correct?
If so, that matches Nissan's instructions for manual transmission Frontier, but doesn't help (read that "doesn't allow") towing with automatic transmission.

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
wbrowning wrote:
2004 Crew Cab 4x4 V6

I currently flat tow a 2005 Tacoma 4X4 xtended cab, six speed manual tranny. No problems at all. Been doing it for about 4yrs.

-paul

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wbrowning wrote:
Thanks for the replys guess I will look for a different rig

a wise decision.
bumpy

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
msmith: Since at least 2005 Toyota Tacoma 4x4's do NOT have a neutral position for the transfer case. I used a DS disconnect.

Moisheh

wbrowning
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replys guess I will look for a different rig

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remco says no. However, maybe you can deal a driveshaft disconnect with the dealer. Wouldn't hurt to try.

In 2010, we were looking to replace our 86 Toy PU 4x4 and really wanted an RAV4...but alas, it too (as were all Toyotas) was not recommended for 4-down towing. I was very leery of GM products but our search was narrowed to the Equinox and Terrain. We chose the Terrain for it's unconventional design and would you believe after almost 50,000 miles, it hasn't even hiccuped....I mean not one thing has gone wrong with it. As Gomer would say: surprise, surprise.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I used a driveshaft disconnect on my S10. hated it. since you ask about stick or auto I assume you haven't bought one yet. do yourself a favor and buy something rated for 4 down towing.
bumpy

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
We went through this in 2009 when we wanted a truck/toad. Toyota Owner Manual said "towing not recommended" even for the 2WD manual shift. Nissan Frontier was OK to tow the manual transmissions in Neutral (2WD), or 2-high+Neutral (4WD). Automatics were not towable in either truck because the Transfer Case did not have Neutral.

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from class A forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar