Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford vs Chevy Chassis for larger divers

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all-

As some of you may have read my posted topics, I am in the market for a used Class C (although if I don't find a comfortable one I may begin looking for A models).

In my So Cal area there are very very few Chevy's available, except for new models. It appears, on the used front,(CL, RV trader, dealer lots) it is about a 99% Ford market.

I am a larger guy at 6' 280lbs. I find the Fords just barely comfortable, bordering on uncomfortable. The models with leather and power driver's seat are too cramped in that they do not slide back far enough (no power seats appear to slide back farther). The seats aren't very wide either and the armrest makes for a cramped seat so I have to swivel it up out of the way to find comfort.

The showers aren't very large either. I know it is a compromise, but in the size range I am looking at, (28-31) there all appear to be small for me. I believe this will not matter in both Ford or Chevy. Are there models with larger showers? If so, which ones?

Will I find the Chevy's more comfortable in the driver's seat (leg room, seat width, slide back, etc?

Since I need the added bunks for my two kids, perhaps I need to look at a Class with bunk beds? Will A's give me a larger shower? I know they provide very large seating for driver, as I sat in one and it felt VERY comfortable!!

Thanks
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
22 REPLIES 22

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
pnichols wrote:

Hmmmm ... I wonder exactly what Ford's front-end suspension changes are from 2008 onwards? i.e. Does this mean that as of then Ford no longer is using their good-old Twin I-Beam front suspension on the E350 and E450 cutaway chassis used under so many Class C motorhomes?

Still twin I-beam. Changes include larger ball joints which increases axle capacity to 5,000 pounds, Hyme joints for radius arms instead of donut bushings, sway bar with end-links instead of the sway bar piking through the axle through rubber bushings, and finally a larger brake system.

The real term is "swing axle" for all the auto nerds out there. "Twin I Beam" is a trademarked Ford name they use on theirs.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

Hmmmm ... I wonder exactly what Ford's front-end suspension changes are from 2008 onwards? i.e. Does this mean that as of then Ford no longer is using their good-old Twin I-Beam front suspension on the E350 and E450 cutaway chassis used under so many Class C motorhomes?

Still twin I-beam. Changes include larger ball joints which increases axle capacity to 5,000 pounds, Hyme joints for radius arms instead of donut bushings, sway bar with end-links instead of the sway bar piking through the axle through rubber bushings, and finally a larger brake system.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ron.dittmer wrote:
I agree. This applies primarily to a 2007 Ford E350/E450 and older. The quick identifier is: The current front styling gets the latest suspension improvements. The transition year is 2008 where you get current design except for the dash board & door pockets which is the earlier design.

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
my budget is $35K. I will definitely research the handling mods for the E450. I am trying to get a rig that is 2008 and later. This is a challenge given my budget. I posted a thread on a 2008 Winnebago Access 29T that I may be able to get for $35K-$37K. I was asking for opinions on this rig.

I think I am going to stick with a C for all the PROS listed. It's a give and take. I may have to settle for a smaller shower and not as comfortable drivers seat compared to an A class.

Chevys are just too few and far between. Can't find them in model, year and budget.
Equal-i-zer 10K

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
No matter what rig you buy check to see when the truck was made. A 2008 Class C or A can be on a 2006 or 2007 truck. But when the coach was built was 2008 so its a 2008. This is the reason I said about checking under and learning what should be there for a 2008 ect. Be sure to also check the truck vin number for year made.
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well Cliff you could always look for a Class C on a Chevy Based Chassis, the legroom in the Drivers side and the passenger side is a lot more roomier than the Ford based ones.

Here is a comparison of the 2.

The area from the Dog House to the kick panel,the floor board where your feet are.

The Chevy is 18 inches wide and mostly flat.

The Ford is 15 inches wide but has a 2 inch rise that is 5 inches wide leaving only 10 inches of flat floor.

With the seat pushed back as far as it goes on both the Ford And Chevy. Both having Stock Factory seats
I found.
Foot well depth to front of seat. Chevy 31 inches Ford 27 inches

Seat back to steering wheel. Chevy 26 inches Ford 23 inches

Front of seat to Dash. Chevy 29 inches Ford 23 inches 6" More leg room!

Dog House width,measured at dash Chevy 15 inches Ford 23 inches

Dog House depth into cab from dash Chevy 8 inches Ford 11 inches

I have had no complaints about long trips from the passenger in mine.

Plus you can do THIS for more room while camping.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
As one person mentioned, donโ€™t forget to look at the front passenger seating comfort.

Weโ€™ve thought about โ€œdownsizingโ€ to a 26 โ€“ 28โ€™ class C (we like the mid sized Lazy Daze). It would be more maneuverable, allowing more options when picking camping spots than our current 34โ€™ class A. But, my wife absolutely refuses to sit in that E450 passenger seat for more than a few minutes, certainly not for hours at a time. There is no room for her feet, she canโ€™t even sit looking directly forward (has to angle her legs off to the side slightly). The cabs on the Sprinter based vehicles are better, but I need something that can tow a 4,500 lb toad.

Iโ€™m was hopping Ford would redesign the cab on the decades old E350/450 one of these years. But as I understand it, the E350/E450 will be retired soon and Class C manufacturers will have to use the Transit chassis, which has less towing capability. Everythingโ€™s a trade-off, no perfect solutions.
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
snowdance wrote:
If you are going for a Ford. I would read up on whats needed to make them drive and handle well.. Then when looking under the one you picked out you can see how much has been done on it. A search will bring up lots of informantion on the topic.
I agree. This applies primarily to a 2007 Ford E350/E450 and older. The quick identifier is: The current front styling gets the latest suspension improvements. The transition year is 2008 where you get current design except for the dash board & door pockets which is the earlier design.

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going for a Ford. I would read up on whats needed to make them drive and handle well.. Then when looking under the one you picked out you can see how much has been done on it. A search will bring up lots of informantion on the topic.
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say what your budget is, but I think the rule of thumb is to check out as many different units as you can. It's a lot of work, but your more likely to end up with what you want.

I started out with a A gas 26' Fleetwood then a Newmar 40' DP and now I'm thinking of a class C 25' with the primary consideration of how I'm going to use it. Having lived on boats for years, space is not a big issue for me; simplicity and access to remote sites is.
I'm thinking of a former rental unit. They will be high mileage, but you get more modern designs and most of these chassis should go 200K with minor replacements.
Another option you may consider is older DP's. The shorter ones are scarce but I just saw a '92 Country Coach Magna 34' (asking $45K)that appears to be super clean and well maintained. Look for high mileage DP's, they are better than low mileage units which have been sitting too long. There are some nice late 90's and '00 DP's which will give you the larger shower, more water and comfortable seating in the $50's. My 2000 Mountain Aire was a beauty with a large living room slide, garden shower and they can be had in the high 50's.

Good luck.
Check out some tiny apartment sites. They have some amazing fold away beds and you could always hang a bed from the ceiling like on the Trek.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Class C benefits:

1) Safety - The cockpit is actually engineered and tested to protect occupants. Class A motorhomes protect occupants about as well as a cardboard box.

2) Serviceabiity - More dealers will work on Class Cs, and have an easier time doing it because the engine and dash wiring is all factory, vs Class As who have their electrical systems installed by low-wage assembly line workers, and standardization is rare.

3) Driving characteristics - Class Cs "feel" more car-like.

4) Newer class Cs tend to have a better length/wheelbase ratio than the more affordable Class As. This lends to better stability in some situations.

Class C Cons:

1) Limited water capacity

2) Usually less carrying capacity

3) Worse turning circle, because of the longer wheelbase/length ratio and also because the newer F53 chassis have a very sharp wheel-cut angle.

4) Much less exterior storage.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I was in a 2008 Winnebago 29T (Class C) without the power seat but with a dinette slide. While slide was in, the seat was not too bad, had some recline room, and was not too bad overall. The rig was nice, priced well, but the slide was only the dinette. Spacious in living area, but lacked the large open feel provided by a larger slide.

There are no Chevy's around that interest us or are not priced at our $40K budget.

This Winnebago 29T is on our short list, but we will continue to look.

When I saw the Fleetwood Storm 32Bh, I was impressed. Bunk beds, overhead cab bunk, and a very nice floor-plan... all in a 32'. My problem is....they are all over $70K!!!!

The A models are just plain comfortable. If I could have a nice factory looking overhead bunk installed in an A model, as suggested, it would fulfill my needs.

Other than the overhead bunk, what are the pros of a C over an A?
Thanks!
Equal-i-zer 10K

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you should limit your search to motor homes with bunk beds. The typical C in the size you're looking for has a huge cabover bed, dinette/bed, sofa/bed and a queen size or so bed in the rear, which equals plenty of sleeping spaces.
As far as the room in the cab, I'm 6'4", old (equals far from nimble) weigh ~ 200, but not that long ago weighed 276 and I really don't have a problem in the E350 or E450 class C's.
It's not like I'm getting up that frequently to run to the back of the MH.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The latest Euro-style vans (Sprinters, ProMasters, and Transits) have no doghouse to speak of. You might take a look at the Winnebago Trend which is built on the cutaway ProMaster chassis. One floorplan has one queen sized drop-down bed, one corner queen, and a bed underneath the drop-down, so it can sleep a good amount of people.

The shower is OK, nothing to write home about, but par for the course.

Caveat: It is a small rig, and might be too cramped for a family of four.