cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Many Full-Timers Keep 2 Stationary Trailers?

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I'm living in a trailer in North Carolina for the summer (nice weather) and I plan to go back to South Texas for the winter. The idea occurred to me that it would be possible to have one trailer in the north and one in the south and commute between them. The advantage is I wouldn't need an expensive gas guzzling truck and I wouldn't need to spend $1,000 in gas twice a year to make the trek pulling a trailer. The biggest downside is I wouldn't be able to stay in state parks in my trailer, but I could rent a cabin here and there. With what I save on gas and truck cost and trailer cost I would still come out ahead. I say trailer cost would be less because I could buy 2 older trailers for less than I spent on my new Jayco. I wouldn't be as worried about the road condition of the trailer because I wouldn't be pulling it across country and I wouldn't need an A/C much if I play my cards right. I would pay a little in storage fees all year long, but I think I'm still ahead in cost.

So is this done much and are there other problems I'm not considering?
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
11 REPLIES 11

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Cptnvideo wrote:
I would also worry about rodent infestation during those 6 months of storage.

That's something to think about.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
I would also worry about rodent infestation during those 6 months of storage.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Cptnvideo wrote:
Are you driving back and forth? What is the difference in fuel cost between truck only and towing?
Will you be paying 2 annual park fees? Or 6 months park plus 6 months storage times two?
And don't forget insurance for 2 RVs. Liability insurance at a minimum.

Those are good points to consider.
I expect the MPG will be 2X better with a car (sell the truck) compared to towing. Maybe more.
Some parks would allow a lower off season storage rate or else I could hire someone to tow it to a storage yard with lower rates then hire them to tow it back next season.
My RV bumped my auto insurance about $50 a month, but an older/cheaper RV would probably be less costly.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Are you driving back and forth? What is the difference in fuel cost between truck only and towing?
Will you be paying 2 annual park fees? Or 6 months park plus 6 months storage times two?
And don't forget insurance for 2 RVs. Liability insurance at a minimum.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:

Just clarifying typical use of terminology. Avoids confusion when responding.

Yes, if you compare a low end rv park to a midrange apartment, rv is likely cheaper, though, keep maintenance in mind as it can narrow the gap. $450 won't get you in most nice snowbird parks and apartments can be cheaper if you don't need to be in suburbia. Depends a lot on expectations.

Having done a few winters on the Texas coast..expect up around $1000 for a nice park.

If you want to nitpick, I'll pick nits with you. I don't believe you are the definitive word on what a "full timer" is, but you are entitled to your opinion and I will go by mine. Are you going to tell the people in the park here living in an RV all year round that they aren't full time RVers? If not, then what are they?

As for the Texas coast, I spent the 20/21 winter there and I'm familiar with the rates there. You can spend $1,000 a month at a nice park. I was at a peaceful park (well occasional fireworks) in Alamo, Texas that winter. I just checked. Their current rate is $300 plus electric. You can even get a break at 3 months for $825. I like economy and value.

Edit: Wikipedia is not the definitive word on this, either, but I'd say it agrees with me:

Wikipedia: Fulltiming

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
DallasSteve wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
I would make a differentiation in terminology. "Full timer", typically implies someone who travels in their RV.

I'd look at park models. If you are never going to tow them, no reason to accept the limitations of an RV.

Of course, depending on what the local RV park rates are, it might be cheaper to maintain 2 apartments.

1 - To me "Full timer" is someone who lives in an RV full time. Simple.
2 - Yes, a used park model may be the way to go.
3 - Have you checked apartment rates lately? I'm in a cheap RV park in North Carolina paying $450 per month. No water charge. No electric charge. A lot of the parks around here are twice that much which would be about $900, but down in South Texas for the winter I believe it's cheaper. Apartment rents here in this part of North Carolina start around $1,400. Double that to maintain 2 apartments and it's much more expensive than my idea.
So why do it? It's cheaper than apartment life and you get the better weather in summer and winter.
As for the last reply from another poster, I spent $350 in gasoline to drive my truck from South Texas to Western North Carolina and that was not pulling an RV. Pulling my big RV it's going to be more like $600, but yes, it probably won't get to $1,000 unless gas goes back to $5 a gallon.

Just clarifying typical use of terminology. Avoids confusion when responding.

Yes, if you compare a low end rv park to a midrange apartment, rv is likely cheaper, though, keep maintenance in mind as it can narrow the gap. $450 won't get you in most nice snowbird parks and apartments can be cheaper if you don't need to be in suburbia. Depends a lot on expectations.

Having done a few winters on the Texas coast..expect up around $1000 for a nice park.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
I would make a differentiation in terminology. "Full timer", typically implies someone who travels in their RV.

I'd look at park models. If you are never going to tow them, no reason to accept the limitations of an RV.

Of course, depending on what the local RV park rates are, it might be cheaper to maintain 2 apartments.

1 - To me "Full timer" is someone who lives in an RV full time. Simple.
2 - Yes, a used park model may be the way to go.
3 - Have you checked apartment rates lately? I'm in a cheap RV park in North Carolina paying $450 per month. No water charge. No electric charge. A lot of the parks around here are twice that much which would be about $900, but down in South Texas for the winter I believe it's cheaper. Apartment rents here in this part of North Carolina start around $1,400. Double that to maintain 2 apartments and it's much more expensive than my idea.
So why do it? It's cheaper than apartment life and you get the better weather in summer and winter.
As for the last reply from another poster, I spent $350 in gasoline to drive my truck from South Texas to Western North Carolina and that was not pulling an RV. Pulling my big RV it's going to be more like $600, but yes, it probably won't get to $1,000 unless gas goes back to $5 a gallon.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
$1000 in gas to go from NC to Texas one way?

I take my RV from Georgia to Texas and only spend about $350(ish) one way About 900 miles at 11 MPG average with diesel. If you're spending $1000 one way, that's really horrible mileage.

I think the downside would be if you wanted to divert and go somewhere else for a change of scenery, you wouldn't have your trailer.

If the biggest reason to do it is to save a couple of bucks, it conceivably do that.

I think I would prefer the flexibility of going elsewhere with my RV if my heart desired.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
I would make a differentiation in terminology. "Full timer", typically implies someone who travels in their RV. They might stop for a month or two but generally aren't stationary for long periods. What you describe would typically be called "snow birder".

The typical snow birder has a home up north and an RV that spends the winter in one location down south all winter. They may or may not take the RV back north in the summer though as they age, most migrate to leaving it down south all year round.

So basically, you would be a snow birder who has an RV up north for summer use rather than a house.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't, but have Friends on another forum that do exactly what you're looking at doing. They have a Winter camper where is warm and a Summer place in the Mountains for a cool summer.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Lots of people own 2 homes (houses). I don't see the point of owning 2 RVs.
We owned a nice 1800 sq ft home in a Phoenix suburb with money left over after all bills were paid. We chose to sell it and go full time because we like to move around and enjoy new scenery. We don't even want to spend an entire winter or summer in the same place.
Isn't that why RVs have wheels under them?