cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So tell me about your perfect couples travel trailer

5akman
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years our family has transitioned from a Coleman tent trailer to a KZ bunkhouse with rear queen bed slide and now a Keystone Sprinter 5er. The kids are grown and gone, my knees are bad and my wife hates the steps up to the 5er bedroom. Its time for a new to us bumper pull trailer.

We've probably spent 50 hrs between the two of us researching used trailers, reading reports, watching youtube videos etc and we're confused as all HECK!

We want a couples trailer floor plan, 24' - 30', at least one slide, true queen bed. Sleeping more than the two of us is not a necessity but being able to seat 4-6 people for board games, movies or conversation would be nice. No need for washer/dryer hookups or anything fancy like that. Our budget is maxed at about 15k. We both retire in two years and want to do the occasional 1-3 week road trips. My wife prefers hookups vs boon docking.

Our tow vehicle is a 2001 Dodge CTD 2500 QCSB 2wd, factory camper/tow package with 70k on the clock in pristine condition. I'm a diesel nut and have done all the engine/transmission upgrades needed to handle a decent sized trailer (I figure 10,000lbs or so). I'm not opposed to buying a HA or PP hitch.

So, for those of you in our situation, what trailers do you have and why do you like them? I'm more interested in chassis/build integrity vs fancy decals and outside kitchens. Our Sprinter has the normal front/rear filon delam and there is just no excuse for such poor construction and I don't ever want to have to deal with stuff like that! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks

Lance
2001 25' Keystone Sprinter 5th wheel, 2001 CTD, QCSB, 2wd with factory camper/tow package. 47re with triple disc/vb mods/electrical/servos/etc, 100hp inj, Quad ADR, Hx 35/40, lift pump, 3.55 gears, PacBrake
18 REPLIES 18

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Sounds like a bp toyhauler would be perfect. 
Better chassis construction than avg TT. 
Gnerally have a big bedroom and bath and the most open space of any same size trailer. 
Bonus, generally no sway needed as theyโ€™re tongue heavy in non toy haul mode and truck like and arrow. So drop on the hitch n go. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II

gfmucci
Explorer
Explorer

I would look for a "couples camper" for solo full time use by an old guy.  The camper would have the following characteristics:

• Not longer than 26 to 28'
  • Towable by a 1/2 ton, i.e. not more than 900lb tongue weight loaded
  • BOTH a dinette and reclining theatre seats
  • Queen bed (could be short queen), open on the sides
  • Prefer open bedroom with curtain rather than a scrunched up closed bedroom
  • Slam latches (that leaves out the Grand Design 22mle)
  • Azdel walls
  • Aluminum frame construction
  • Composite flooring; no luan or plywood
  • Full road mode access
  • Rack and pinion slide if wider than 6 feet or so; Schwintek ok for smaller slide
  • Eye level control panel; operable from my phone
  • No oven; substitute convection microwave/air fryer system 
  • At least 400 watts of solar with a couple of Battleborn-type lithium batteries
  • Enclosed wet bay with switchable city/tank water
  • 12 volt fridge, 10 cu ft
  • Min. 15k btu AC
  • 30 amp AC input near front of the coach for convenient hookup from the tow vehicle bed
  • Auto leveling system
  • 360 degree camera system
  • Goodyear tires with TPMS
  • Torsion suspension
  • 2 or 3 years old for less than $30k

The Grand Design Imagine 22MLE, the Keystone Cougar 22MLS, Keystone Bullet 2220ML, Coachmen Northern Spirit Ultra Lite 2252MD, and Jayco Jay Feather 21MML each have some combination of most of these features, but none have all.

Have a look at the Arctic Fox 25R. Looks close to what you are looking for.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Grand Design 2600RB. Pull it with a 2013 Nissan Armada and a Pro Pride 3 hitch. Works great for the 2 of us. The Armada is good as far as weights are concerned but the wheel base is a little short. The Pro Pride makes up for the short wheel base. Probably wouldn't need the PP3 if I was using some sort of longer truck but I wanted to tow with what I have.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

debrhardt
Explorer
Explorer
kitchen and shower in the back, bed in the front, and couch & table in between.

5akman
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, lots of models mentioned in this thread, now to get to work researching!
2001 25' Keystone Sprinter 5th wheel, 2001 CTD, QCSB, 2wd with factory camper/tow package. 47re with triple disc/vb mods/electrical/servos/etc, 100hp inj, Quad ADR, Hx 35/40, lift pump, 3.55 gears, PacBrake

Mr__C
Explorer
Explorer
QCMan wrote:
I will throw in the Keystone Cougar 22RBS, 2020 vintage. King size bed, theater seating or dinette option. Sturdy build and extremely reliable. So far. Only 9 k miles on it. Perfect for two but card playing will be under the awning at the picnic table.

We thought about this one, but went with the 26RBS. 2 a/c units, theater seating recliners and dinette, and a KING bed. We replaced the mattress with one from Wilderness. It's perfect for the 2 of us and the dog...

2020 Keystone Cougar 26RBS "Pressure Relief 4"
2017 Silverado LTZ 6.2 4x4

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Knowledge is good". Emil Faber

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
I will throw in the Keystone Cougar 22RBS, 2020 vintage. King size bed, theater seating or dinette option. Sturdy build and extremely reliable. So far. Only 9 k miles on it. Perfect for two but card playing will be under the awning at the picnic table.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
Of course everyone will love the trailer they have! Me too!
We have a 2018 Arctic Fox 25Y.
30' long; 60x80 queen bed; dinette seats 4 for meals and games; plenty of storage; 2 recliner/swivel chairs that actually face the TV.
From what you described, this trailer would not be able to seat 6 very easily for games.
Dinette could become sleeping for 2 grandkids.
Good luck with your search!
Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
our 2011 keystone outback 295RE is a perfect couples trailer for us. If the kids come, they just need to make up the fold out beds. When we travel with others the opposing sides give great indoor room for days when several couples want to do games inside due to the weather.

you can get to fridge, stove, microwave, dinette, bathroom, bedroom and pantry with the slides in, nice for lunch at a rest stop
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much any of the stick & tin trailers won't have foam core floors.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
Check Northwood. My 2008 Arctic Fox has aluminum superstructure and marine plywood subfloor. The aluminum frame has wood inside the aluminum at points where things are screwed to the frame so they don't just put screws into the thin aluminum. The trailer frame is very stout. Northwood makes their own frames in house. It is a true, four season trailer. I have camped comfortably at zero degree temps. My 29V has two slides, a rear full queen size bed, center bath and lots of wardrobe space and lots of kitchen counter space. The dinette seats four, there is a counch and swivel rocker, in the living area. The bath and bedroom and refer and sink are all accessable with the slides in. I am replacing the swivel rocker with a comfortable, folding camp chair. Afer all these years of wrestling the swivel rocker around, a folding chair that can be stowed will make it much easier when traveling and just stopping over night to move around in the living area without putting out the slides.Northwood trailers have huge CCC which, if you read the current post on empty weight vs GVW, you can see is important. The 29V, which, sadly, they don't make anymore, carries 67 gallons of fresh water, has a ten gallon, gas electric water heater and gemerous holding tanks. All the tanks are inclosed and heated.In a used unit, condition is critical but, so is original build.

5akman
Explorer
Explorer
prichardson wrote:
I have found that a rear living floor plan works good for your described situation. Since you are looking at used; probably more important than brand is age and current condition. I would avoid anything with foam core floor construction.

I don't suppose there is a directory detailing how the various makes/models are constructed? It would be nice to know who makes an alum frame, solid floor, beefier frame etc.