cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof Opinions Please

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
I just got my truck camper out of storage for 2 years, and the roof looks horrible. It was under a breathable cover, and I've always cleaned and conditioned it with Camco products. The camper is a 2017 model year Wolf Creek 840 that lives in California bay area good weather.

The roof covering looks like its starting to break down, and it's covered in dark moldy looking spots. Is that normal? I hope it's not time to replace already!

The dicor looks cracked, but seems pliable and solid. Is it time to reapply a little on top of the old? Does it need a complete remove and replace? Or does it look good for now?

roof spots

cracked dicor

roof material breaking down

thanks in advance for your informed opinions.
2013 GMC Sierra 3500 SLE Dually Crew Duramax | 2017 Wolf Creek 840 truck camper
12 REPLIES 12

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Self levelling Dicor is what's used on roofs. It does it's job well. However, Eternabond does it better. And as someone else said, a coating like Hengs or Henry's works wonders. I put Hengs on my rubber roof 5 years ago. It's 19 years old now and looks great. No pealing or other issues.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input! I'm looking at Dicor now. Do I want self-leveling or NON-self-leveling?

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Well our 16 year old roof looked like that 2 years ago, we got Hengโ€™s roof coating. Followed instructions, first scrubbed existing roof with warm water and powered Tide detergent, rinsed well and let dry overnight. Next day applied Hengโ€™s in two thin coats. It still is holding up very well.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even if the black is exposed, if it is not leaking, it still is working. The worst thing you can do is put a coating on and have it start peeling. That is what has happened to mine, the person before me had a coating applied and it has been peeling ever since. I couldn't coat it if I wanted as I can't get all the peel off. Mine looks ugly, but works. I have asked multiple reputable service centers and they all say don't coat it. Just live with the bad color.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Clean a spot. If the black lifts away then there's nothing wrong with it other than being dirty, which doesn't hurt it at all.

MrWizard
Henry's is good stuff , I've used it on several RVs,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest question: "Does it leak?" If so, find the leak(s) and fix them, . . . now. It's normal to scrape off/replace cracked sealant every few years. Depending on the original roof material, once cleaned, there are numerous coatings that can be applied to your existing roof to extend the life and improve the appearance. Youtube/Google are your friends.

Chum lee

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
I went out and cleaned the roof today, and it looks a little better. I have cleaned it at least twice a year with Camco Rubber Roof Cleaner/Conditioner and my soft RV wash brush. Maybe I cleaned it too much? Also, I think the cover (which is breathable) allowed mold or whatever to grow, and that's what wrecked the top white layer of the roof. What's remaining feels solid, but just looks bad.

So, I think I'll lightly reapply the Dicor and roll on some Henry Tropi-Cool 100% Silicone coating. Does that sound like a good plan?

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Check Utube for videos on RV roof cleaning.
Iโ€™d want to kill any mold first, clean it well, then decide if it needs coated.
Iโ€™ve heard nothing but great things about Henryโ€™s Tropicool coating.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The roof should not look like that, in only 6 years, unless the cleaning product caused a breakdown, possibly salt water air? The cover may not have been as breathable as advertised? These roof types often carry a 12 year warranty, and can last up to 20 years, in the right conditions.

The Dicor does not look bad for the age, but does need to be cleaned, and a light layer added.

My FW was bought new in Aug 2012. It sits outside, in the midwest year around, gets tree sap, bird cr@p, road dirt, and covered with ice/snow all Winter. I've washed it 4-5 times, added a protectant once. I have added fresh Dicor, as needed, but my roof looks way better than yours.

Something seems to be causing yours to deteriorate prematurely.

Jerry

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the roof was covered in a vinyl material. Whatever it is, I'm disappointed that it only lasts 6 years, covered, in a mild climate.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
The roof looks like an EDPM material. It has a white layer that gradually sheds off exposing the black substrate. Usually indicates end of life for roof if there is more black than white.
As far s the Dicor, it at least needs a cleaning and another layer to seal it.
Where is the vinyl that you show as breaking down?
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member