Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: F250 upgrades
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > F250 upgrades

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/29/23 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Well assuming you got the camper package or something on yours.
OP is complaining about too much squat. So regardless he’s looking to shore that up…I think.

The regular old F250 company trucks I had, a 2012 and then a 2015 had a compliant initial spring rate. They’d stiffen up pretty good with real weight on them, but that first couple inches of suspension travel was built for comfort.


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Groover

Pulaski, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/30/23 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am going to through in a totally different consideration if you decide to add airbags.

You can choose between having both bags on the same air line or separate air lines. Separate air lines add stability for high center of gravity loads like some 5th wheels. They can also facilitate hitching up to a 5th wheel on uneven ground by twisting the truck to match the alignment of the camper. On the other hand, when riding empty or with a low CG load a single line allows for more articulation of the rear axle which gives a smoother ride helps avoid getting stuck on uneven ground.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/30/23 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

I am going to through in a totally different consideration if you decide to add airbags.

You can choose between having both bags on the same air line or separate air lines. Separate air lines add stability for high center of gravity loads like some 5th wheels. They can also facilitate hitching up to a 5th wheel on uneven ground by twisting the truck to match the alignment of the camper. On the other hand, when riding empty or with a low CG load a single line allows for more articulation of the rear axle which gives a smoother ride helps avoid getting stuck on uneven ground.


Correct, although generally no air is needed where articulation would be needed.
Never really a better reason to plumb both bags together although there are some scenarios where it is not worse.
OP is in a diffenrt frame of thought though. Not this level of detail.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

Senior Member

Joined: 09/17/2003

View Profile



Posted: 05/30/23 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Again, interesting to see the strongly held opinions on the GVWR issue. Wonder how many of the folks asserting those opinions have been involved in a fatality or serious injury case where there was a colorable argument that the vehicle at fault was over GVWR? Not asking about tickets, warnings, pulling off the road for being unsafe: asking about a fatal or serious crash where GVWR may have been in play.


CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

Senior Member

Joined: 01/28/2009

View Profile



Posted: 05/30/23 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All our trucks squat a bit. As you apply weight on the hitch, the truck compresses the comfy area of the springs and as you add more weight, you reach the load carrying of the springs. The next time you hookup, check the fender well openings on the truck front to rear. 2” down on the rear would be common on your F250 with your Rockwood.





RKW

Four Corners, New Mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 06/07/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/30/23 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all who contributed.


Ryan

  • 2015 Ford F250
  • 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS
  • Dual Honda EU2000i Generators


    The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.


  • dodge guy

    Bartlett IL

    Senior Member

    Joined: 03/23/2004

    View Profile


    Offline
    Posted: 05/30/23 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

    I would add airbags, as they are easily adjustable for differing weights.

    With that said. If you added a truck there are 2 different ratios you can order. Those being the only 2 differences can net you an increase for in towing ability by 5k lbs. sometimes more, sometimes less.


    Wife Kim
    Son Brandon 17yrs
    Daughter Marissa 16yrs
    Dog Bailey

    12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

    13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
    A bad day camping is
    better than a good day at work!


    Cummins12V98

    on the road

    Senior Member

    Joined: 06/03/2012

    View Profile


    Online
    Posted: 05/30/23 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

    My 2011 RAM has 4,500# pin weight in pic #1. Rides nice and "LEVEL". I added bags and Bilstien's for ride QUALITY!!! I ran 30psi LOADED in second pic. Notice it sets about the same??? This is what I wanted as the bags were only to control the suspension on the ROUGH California Highways.

    It rode on the overloads as it should for a nice ride. Some may call this "Squat" and want to raise it to unloaded ride level. NO WAY!!!


    [image]
    [image]


    2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
    37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

    "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

    2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

    2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

    MFL

    Midwest

    Senior Member

    Joined: 11/28/2012

    View Profile



    Good Sam RV Club Member

    Offline
    Posted: 05/31/23 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

    Grit dog wrote:

    ^Well assuming you got the camper package or something on yours.
    OP is complaining about too much squat. So regardless he’s looking to shore that up…I think.

    The regular old F250 company trucks I had, a 2012 and then a 2015 had a compliant initial spring rate. They’d stiffen up pretty good with real weight on them, but that first couple inches of suspension travel was built for comfort.


    Yup, camper package was available, but I chose the heavy duty service suspension package.

    For the sticker readers...nothing changes with either package. The GVWR stays at 10,000, payload is GVWR, minus the curb wt, and RAWR remains at 6,200, even though I have similar capability as F350.

    For softer ride, when wanted, I lower the tire pressure, mostly on the rear, although front coils are HD as well.

    Jerry





    nickthehunter

    Midwest

    Senior Member

    Joined: 07/18/2005

    View Profile


    Offline
    Posted: 06/01/23 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

    PA12DRVR wrote:

    … Wonder how many of the folks asserting those opinions have been involved in a fatality or serious injury case where there was a colorable argument that the vehicle at fault was over GVWR? Not asking about tickets, warnings, pulling off the road for being unsafe: asking about a fatal or serious crash where GVWR may have been in play.
    Never, as in never been an issue.

    Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
    Page of 3  
    Prev

    Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

     > F250 upgrades
    Search:   Advanced Search

    Search only in Tow Vehicles


    New posts No new posts
    Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
    Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

    Adjust text size:




    © 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.