cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2005 Norcold refrigerator -- shore power not cooling

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
2005 Norcold refrigerator connected to shore power, temperature set number 9, mode AC, outside temperature 80°, inside temperature 70°. I cannot get the inside of the refrigerator to cool below 45° sometimes it is 50° which is unacceptable to for food storage. Trailer is level.

I have tried running on propane with no joy

Any suggestions are welcome.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
9 REPLIES 9

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:
Since unit doesn't work on lp and marginal on electric, test the thermistor.
Thermistor testing
Potentially bad circuit board. I prefer Dinosaur Electronics replacements..

A BAD thermister will test GOOD most of the time. If my checkout shows a good refer, then he needs to replace the Thermister. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
N821 has just 1- 120 element.
1. Verify ventilation from outside lower refer access door up thru the roof is clear of obstructions. You will have to remove the top roof vent to verify upper area. Just 4 screws removes it
2. Verify your model does NOT have a 12 volt cooling fan just below the rear condensor coil. Step 1 with a flashlight will verify that.
3. If 1 and 2 check out, you then disconnect the 120 heat element from the rear control board and run 120 volts direct to the Heat Element for 24 hours. IF after 24 hours the freezer is NOT below 10 degrees and the lower refer is NOT below 40 degrees, your Cooling Unit is bad and needs replaced. Doug

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Since unit doesn't work on lp and marginal on electric, test the thermistor.
Thermistor testing
Potentially bad circuit board. I prefer Dinosaur Electronics replacements..

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
dougrainer wrote:
Installed in a slide room? Doug

No
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Installed in a slide room? Doug

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:
Model of your Norcold?

N821

Travel Photos

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Ranger Smith wrote:
120 volt heater went bad??

The "tube" is hot so the heater is working. Likewise, all the fuses are good.

Travel Photos

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
120 volt heater went bad??
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

enblethen