cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B&W Companion hitch removal

Showme_5vr
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a new truck with the puck system. Bought a B&W Companion hitch that weighs about 230 pounds. What have those of you that have a similar hitch done to remove the hitch without straining your back.
Steve & Judy 2023 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins HO Crew Cab LWB, 2017 Grand Design Reflections 337RLS
Lifetime Good Sam Member
111 REPLIES 111

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
cummins2014 wrote:
laknox wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Yup, you are a Manly Man until you are not . ๐Ÿ™‚ Lifting hitches will get you injured quicker than you would like . Thats why lifting devices were invented . :B I'm certainly done doing any of that stupid lifting , and I did plenty being a steel worker for 42 years . Just lucky ,and knowing how to lift I got away with it .

I still like having a daughter that married a great guy who also happens to be a bit of a gym rat. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle

Yes ,let the gym rats do it ,until they can't . ๐Ÿ™‚

Then we can let the now-8 y.o. granddaughter gymnast take over! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
Been removing mine at least once a year often more for the last 13 years heavier now than but still doable.

Yup ,did the same thing for years ,until I went with the Andersen ,best move ever . I always needed my heavy monster of a slider hitch out of my truck to transport my inflatable pontoon boat here in Montana to fish the lakes .

Now no need to remove anything from the truck ,built a 10' flatbed trailer to tow behind the fifth wheel ,with the boat put together inflated ,and ready to go , than towed behind the truck here to hit the lakes , that was the best move. A lot easier to load ,and unload the boat . No lifting at all now . I back up to the water slide the boat in ,when loading II stand on the trailer sits very low , rope attached to the front D-ring pull onto the trailer that is carpeted with indoor ,outdoor carpet ,slides on like on wheels .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:

I still like having a daughter that married a great guy who also happens to be a bit of a gym rat. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle

Yes ,let the gym rats do it ,until they can't . ๐Ÿ™‚

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Been removing mine at least once a year often more for the last 13 years heavier now than but still doable.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

laknox
Nomad
Nomad

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, you are a Manly Man until you are not . ๐Ÿ™‚ Lifting hitches will get you injured quicker than you would like . Thats why lifting devices were invented . :B I'm certainly done doing any of that stupid lifting , and I did plenty being a steel worker for 42 years . Just lucky ,and knowing how to lift I got away with it .

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Love it! :B
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

***. LIKE BUTTON ***. !!
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good one!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Bionic Man wrote:
This fits this thread so perfectly

YES!!!

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
This fits this thread so perfectly

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
MFL wrote:
Hey Lyle, how can you possibly be working on that fancy new truck? What needs doing, maybe wash/wax. Trailer for sure, been working on mine since the day I brought it home new. Most recent, reseal entry door glass. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope you and family are enjoying the whole rig!

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry. Actually, we raised the pinbox 2 holes to it's highest holes. Then we lowered the Companion 1 hole. Went from 1.4 degrees nose high to 1.0, according to the leveling panel. About 4" difference in 17' from just behind the JT mounts back to behind the rear Jack's. Gives me about 6.75" of bed clearance.

The other thing we did was to install an extra step on my Glowsteps. I will be updating my original review of them in the next couple days.

Lyle

I hope your review of those glow steps are better than mine. I dislike them , my wife literally hates them . Discussed our optionโ€™s with glow step , after the discussion we determined a longer adjustment leg might help, with the measurements given an extra step would not benefit us . The longer legs did very little, just donโ€™t like them . The only thing good I can say is they are solid. Iโ€™ve nearly worn them out adjusting them .

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:
Hey Lyle, how can you possibly be working on that fancy new truck? What needs doing, maybe wash/wax. Trailer for sure, been working on mine since the day I brought it home new. Most recent, reseal entry door glass. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry. Actually, we raised the pinbox 2 holes to it's highest holes. Then we lowered the Companion 1 hole. Went from 1.4 degrees nose high to 1.0, according to the leveling panel. About 4" difference in 17' from just behind the JT mounts back to behind the rear Jack's. Gives me about 6.75" of bed clearance.

The other thing we did was to install an extra step on my Glowsteps. I will be updating my original review of them in the next couple days.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry