Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hwys closed and wild fires in BC & Alberta

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Just a heads up:
BC Hwy 37 ( Cassiar Hwy) is closed between Bob Quinn Lake and Dease Lake because of Washout. Crews are working on it and next update is at 10:am May 8, 2023.
Scroll down to Hwy 37.

Also there are Wildfires near the Alaska Hwy from around Dawson Creek to north of Fort St. John.
BC Wildfires

There are also huge wildfires in Alberta from east of Jasper all the way north to east of Fort St.John BC, even one up to the Yukon boarder.

Alberta wild fires

DriveBC indicates visibility issues on the Alaska hwy ( BC hwy 97) north of Dawson Creek, earlier today, however that warning has been lifted as of the typing of this.

Keep an eye on the News for theses areas if you’re headed north through BC and Alberta.
Safe travels.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks
21 REPLIES 21

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
As of June 15, 2023.

Looks like the wildfire north of Fort St John is very very close to the Alaska Hwy. If you’re traveling in that direction, I would be checking road reports and local news before you head north from Dawson Creek.
CBC news report

DriveBC road reports.
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
For anyone with plans to hit the west coast of Vancouver Island any time soon, check this out.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years ago when it seemed like the whole province of BC was on fire, we travelled in late July from Vancouver Island to Nova Scotia and back, the smoke followed us almost all the way across. Was much better in the Maritimes where we spent the month of August. The return trip was much better.

The scenery wasn't the best, but the trip was great.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Smoke has already made it to the east coast. Did make for a gorgeous sunset! It's high up so we didn't get any odor or any ill effects.

Probably coming from the Nova Scotia fires.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Saw that on the news last night, still need a lot more rain, and hope it keeps coming your way.

trigley
Explorer
Explorer
thomas201 wrote:
Did you get good rain last night? Did it help with the fires. Starting North on Sunday.

Many areas did get a good rain which definitely helped. In our area the sky was clear today for the first time in quite a while. Has been extremely smoky some days. June is usually our wettest month. Hope it comes early this year.

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Did you get good rain last night? Did it help with the fires. Starting North on Sunday.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Boon Docker wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
campgrounds are going to get a lot harder to find in Alberta now. They just shut down a large area of rec sites and back woods camping due to extreme fire risks.

Have not heard of any closures. No fires or off highway vehicles allowed for now.

Update: Just found a notice about some Provincial Parks being closed, but not boondocking areas.

some of them there is no hiking, it is only specific areas right now
here is the page
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
StirCrazy wrote:
campgrounds are going to get a lot harder to find in Alberta now. They just shut down a large area of rec sites and back woods camping due to extreme fire risks.

Have not heard of any closures. No fires or off highway vehicles allowed for now.

Update: Just found a notice about some Provincial Parks being closed, but not boondocking areas.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Veebyes wrote:
Easy to find official provincial sites for daily updates on the fires.

We are N central NE at the moment and it is quite smokey. That can change with a shift in the wind. Smoke or not we continue north entering Canada, pass through Saskatoon and on to Edmonton.

Wild fires are every year.

We just went from Grande Prairie to Dawson Creek to Prince George and are currently at the south end of the Cassiar Hwy. (got turned away at Dawson Creek before heading up to Ft St John)

While it was worse at the east end, it's been smoky the whole way.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Easy to find official provincial sites for daily updates on the fires.

We are N central NE at the moment and it is quite smokey. That can change with a shift in the wind. Smoke or not we continue north entering Canada, pass through Saskatoon and on to Edmonton.

Wild fires are every year.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, if you see in my post I have already made my main reservations and will wait as long as I can before making any rash decisions.
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
happycamper1942 wrote:
Planning a trip from our home on Vancouver Island to the Banff and Rockies in general in Late August-early September, and returning via the Okanagan. I've already reserved a few spots in the busier areas, but I'm beginning to think I may have to cancel and stay on the Island. I'll be keeping a careful eye on the long range forecasts as I don't want to leave it too late to cancel and lose my deposits.

making rash decisions in May on what things will be like in September will drive you crazy. I would book your sites and plan your trip you can always cancel in Aug. if you feel like it. By September everything is good anyways its July mid Aug. when we get a lot of smoke but that has only been about 4 of the last 10 years so you never know what's going to happen.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100