cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram 5500 Front End Alignment Issue

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
My new 2022 Ram 5500 has never felt like its aligned properly. The steering wheel is canted to the right a bit. I have called three ram dealers, two of which sell commercial trucks. None have a rack big enough to align a 5500. This is in Oklahoma. Anyone know of a decent repair center around here that can align a new 4x4 Ram 5500?
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)
17 REPLIES 17

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

Well wow, quite a story and glad (hopefully) no one was hurt!
But considering OPs truck is brand new and presumably didn’t get T boned by a distracted driver, the likelihood his truck is dog tracking is real slim.

I know so many people are of the mindset that there’s no rock too small to overturn, but I might suggest starting with the likely things before moving to the highly unlikely things.

Thank you 3tons.
The fact the OP's steering wheel is off is proof something is wrong. Could simple adjustments be made to center the wheel? Likely. But because the dealer lacks the ability to test/repair should OP pay to have adjustment made, and just assume that for the rest of the time he owns the truck all is good?
I still say best would be document the issue with truck and dealer. Contact the factory rep, and inform him you will be taking it in for inspection and adjustment.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
3 tons wrote:
Yep, it could even be the rear axle rather than the front…A car hit my Ram 3500 DRW dead center on the drivers side rear wheel, yet somehow missed the fender, but bounced off and tore off the LR Camper jack…The wheel and tire was badly damaged, so I then installed the spare…All seemed fine until I got on the freeway and noticed that in order to go straight, the steering wheel was now at about a steady 2 o’clock position, though there was zero sign of any sort of pull - this is now where the steering wheel wanted to be for the truck to travel in a straight line!!

At the next fuel stop I took out a tape measure and realized that the rear axle was rearward about 1.25” on the drivers side, and slightly forward on the passenger side (from the wheel well openings)…A subsequent trip to the dealer revealed that the axle housing was slightly bent, as was one leaf as well…Luckily this and the camper jack repair was covered by insurance to the tune of about $25k…The offending young lady driver had been chatting on her dang cell phone…

3 tons

Well wow, quite a story and glad (hopefully) no one was hurt!
But considering OPs truck is brand new and presumably didn’t get T boned by a distracted driver, the likelihood his truck is dog tracking is real slim.

I know so many people are of the mindset that there’s no rock too small to overturn, but I might suggest starting with the likely things before moving to the highly unlikely things.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
Don't know where in Ok you are, but it is not rocket surgery. Document the dealers can't/won't do the work. Look for any real truck dealer. (KW, FL, IHC, Pete, Volvo) Sure, you will have to go into your pocket, but get a 4 wheel alignment. Maybe if you can show you had problems from jump you might get repaid.

4 wheel alignment? Lol :S

MAN, I gotta getz me one. :B

Or would it be a 6 wheel alignment for you chaps with the training wheels? Lol

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
Don't know where in Ok you are, but it is not rocket surgery. Document the dealers can't/won't do the work. Look for any real truck dealer. (KW, FL, IHC, Pete, Volvo) Sure, you will have to go into your pocket, but get a 4 wheel alignment. Maybe if you can show you had problems from jump you might get repaid.

Years back I had F750 that was kind of squirrelly to drive, even MT. New kingpins, rebuilt front springs, 6 new tires did not fix. Had the tire shop align front end. Better, but still not good. Took it to KW dealer when my Pete had to miss appointment. Painful to watch the air jacks push wheels in all directions, but the report showed had too much movement in rear spring hangers. New bushings, took back for them to finish job. After that, would drive good when GVW under 33,000.
Last fall, put all new struts and new tires on DW's little car. Kia dealer's shop, (family discount to work on old Dodge) started by mounting lasers on rear wheels

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, it could even be the rear axle rather than the front…A car hit my Ram 3500 DRW dead center on the drivers side rear wheel, yet somehow missed the fender, but bounced off and tore off the LR Camper jack…The wheel and tire was badly damaged, so I then installed the spare…All seemed fine until I got on the freeway and noticed that in order to go straight, the steering wheel was now at about a steady 2 o’clock position, though there was zero sign of any sort of pull - this is now where the steering wheel wanted to be for the truck to travel in a straight line!!

At the next fuel stop I took out a tape measure and realized that the rear axle was rearward about 1.25” on the drivers side, and slightly forward on the passenger side (from the wheel well openings)…A subsequent trip to the dealer revealed that the axle housing was slightly bent, as was one leaf as well…Luckily this and the camper jack repair was covered by insurance to the tune of about $25k…The offending young lady driver had been chatting on her dang cell phone…

3 tons

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Does it “wander” when running empty too?

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

I understand anytime you see I post something you feel it is your duty to attack in some manor.
Back when I was trained on front end alignment, the machines where designed to compare front wheels to each other. (GM Training Center, 1970) This may or may not find the issue OP is having.
Now the OP is talking he has had issue from start on new vehicle. If we discount the idea of damage before delivery (Possible, and if it happened the selling dealer might want to hide it) then we must assume something was not installed right from the factory. Maybe it is just timing off between the steering wheel and front wheels. But it could be something off causing rear axle not to be perpendicular to frame. If I had bought a new truck, (or even more than a few used truck) and it did not drive right I would want a expert, with no ties to seller, to check first the rear axle was square to frame, then be sure front wheels are properly aligned to rear wheels and each other.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wandering feeling, absent of any worn components, which is a reasonable assumption given your truck is new, is often not enough positive caster. These trucks have adjustable caster cams in the suspension arm mounts.
Worth mentioning as it wouldn’t be the first truck to come off the assembly line this way.
Another cause of wandering is any negative toe.

Edit: Or if you have the camper set back on your new chassis where it’s removing a significant amount of FA weight, that could contribute to the wandering feel. Haven’t seen how your new truck is setup.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoonDockin wrote:
I have been to two dealers that will do a 3500 but not a 5500. Say their rack is not big enough. Might be because mine is a chassis cab with slightly longer wheelbase. My biggest complaint is it wanders a bit. The wheel has a bit of slop and it takes a lot of concentration to keep it between the lines. Not dangerous just annoying. I have less than 3000 miles on it and no sign of uneven wear yet.

I could live with the wheel off center if it drove with authority. But that's not the case.

Things would need to be long ways out for you to see tire wear in 3000 miles.
You might want to be put in touch with a factory rep. While documenting the dealer can't/won't service it, ask them for the number. That request alone might be enough for your dealer to take it to a shop that can fix it.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been to two dealers that will do a 3500 but not a 5500. Say their rack is not big enough. Might be because mine is a chassis cab with slightly longer wheelbase. My biggest complaint is it wanders a bit. The wheel has a bit of slop and it takes a lot of concentration to keep it between the lines. Not dangerous just annoying. I have less than 3000 miles on it and no sign of uneven wear yet.

I could live with the wheel off center if it drove with authority. But that's not the case.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
You don't even need a rack to center the steering wheel. Any simple minded mechanic can adjust it. This has nothing to do with an alignment rack.

While this statement is true, I think that unless a simple minded mechanic has already worked on it, there might be other issues. After all a simple minded factory worker put it together, and a simple minded dealership mechanic did a pre-delivery check on it.
This is why I say take it to a shop for complete inspection, like they do before they put it on the rack for 4 wheel alignment.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You don't even need a rack to center the steering wheel. Any simple minded mechanic can adjust it. This has nothing to do with an alignment rack.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD