cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12v rv freezer difficult to open,,,suction

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The freezer in the small motorhome in sig is very difficult to open after it has been on for over an hour or so. At first, I thought the rubber gasket was sticking so I thoroughly cleaned it up and that didn't change anything.
I then noticed that I hear a suction/vacuum type sound coming from the freezer and that's when it doesn't want to open. I'm afraid that I'm going to break the plastic handle having to pull on it so hard when trying to get it open.
What is going on with this suction/vacuum problem. BTW, the freezer and refer both work great and stay nice and cold.

Moderator, can you move this to the proper category? Thank-you.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata
29 REPLIES 29

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We really don't open the freezer that often so I guess it's a good problem to have. I'll continue to just use the 90 degree screwdriver.

It slides under the gasket and removes the suction with little effort. Much better that ripping the handle off of the door frame.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dougrainer wrote:
Dusty R wrote:
If it's a refrigerator/freezer perhaps the condensate drain is plugged.

2 door RV refers, the freezer has no drain or air egress. So, the OP has a problem LOTS of rv'ers wish they had-----a completely closed freezer door seal.

Right? A real live example of a First World problem here!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
dougrainer wrote:
Dusty R wrote:

2 door RV refers, the freezer has no drain or air egress. So, the OP has a problem LOTS of rv'ers wish they had-----a completely closed freezer door seal.

I agree, this is a good problem to have.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Dusty R wrote:

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
It seems like it takes longer than 5 minutes to reopen, but I've never timed it. The screwdriver only takes a couple of seconds but is inconvenient.

The aerosol tube through the gasket sounds like a good idea.

Thank-you for all the suggestions. Interesting to know that others have had this happen. I've had 8 motorhomes and this is a first for me.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You may have to wait 5 minutes before opening that door. IF you wait 5 minutes, does it open OK? Doug

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We have a separate small freezer. It does the same thing. Better get what you want out of it or plan on waiting 5 minutes or so to reopen it
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

John_Burke
Explorer
Explorer
This would be my recommendation also. Tube should not compress and if you push it thru the top of the gasket it will not fall.

'This too. Like a snip of spray tube from an aerosol can.
Could even punch it thru the gasket if there’s a spot where it’s a straight shot.
Drilling a hole thru the unit in some random place is not preferable'

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
A decent, functional gasket is going to form a seal around tape or something similar. That is why I recommend using a piece of non-compressible tubing.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Close it with a little strip of paper or thin cloth etc. across the seal somewhere. Will prevent a tight seal and no suction.

I tried a piece of tape and the gasket sucked right up against it. Still very difficult to open.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
Just tape a 1" piece of small diameter metal tubing to the gasket to break the seal and allow pressure to equalize. That small gap will barely affect the efficiency of the unit.
The tape alone might provide plenty of gap. Don't need much.

Could take three layers of duct tape to create the gap.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is the freezer portion of the refer. The model# is RM3863.

It's not that big of a deal to use the 90 degree screwdriver, just hoping there might be a permanent solution to release the vacuum pressure.

Just not sure if drilling a small hole in the door jam would work although it sounds feasible.

The gasket does compress and seal properly.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
means you have a good seal on the lid. Our ice coolers have this problem on occasion. Basic physics. Cool the air, density goes up pulls a slight vacuum. Doesn't need to be much before it takes some effort to open the lid.

And our portable 12V compressor cooler/freezer for camping does the same thing.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!