cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Bags Necessary?

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
My fridge, fresh water (50g), and single slide are all on one side (passenger side) of my Eagle Cap 950 truck camper, and as such it lists about 3/4” to the passenger side.
Is this a concern I need to address with airbags or not enough to worry about?

Thanks so much,
Mr. E
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 3K VictronConnect Multiplus II, VictronConnect smart DC-DC charger, VictronConnect 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue
10 REPLIES 10

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I would never get air bags again myself, there are plenty of other ways to make up 3/4 of an inch, and it really isn't that big of a deal unless it bugs you like was mentioned. were you sitting in the truck, and did it have a full tank of gas when it was measured. or were you out of the truck. Considering you and the diesel/gas are all on the driver's side it could be equal when you are driving.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
biggjb wrote:
I have question on whether I should get the auto leveling type air bags with onboard compressor or just the normal air bags but have two values so I can adjust the pressure on each side. My only concern is when driving the weight of the camper may shift and the auto leveling system could compensate. The plain air bags which I set the pressure are considerably cheaper...

I don't have an onboard compressor, but from what I understand some can control each side independently. Most will suggest separate controls either with/without onboard compressor is very useful.

However, with my setup, I've always run the same psi on each side. I don't find it very hard to adjust the bags with a small pump. My current truck has the connection in the finder wells while my previous truck had the connections inside the fuel door. I find the fender well fill locations a bit better. Either would be accessible with TC on, but I think shorter hoses at the fender wells is probably better.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you have someone measure the lean while you were in the driver's seat? That may help offset it some. I know I outweigh my wife enough to help balance our EC950 a bit more.

biggjb
Explorer
Explorer
I have question on whether I should get the auto leveling type air bags with onboard compressor or just the normal air bags but have two values so I can adjust the pressure on each side. My only concern is when driving the weight of the camper may shift and the auto leveling system could compensate. The plain air bags which I set the pressure are considerably cheaper...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Geo*Boy wrote:
Use the double convolute Timbrens not the severe duty kit.

He’s not looking for more overall spring capacity. So it wouldn’t make sense to add Timbrens and make the ride more harsh. I love Timbrens for what they are but not unless he needs to shore up the rear suspension overall.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use the double convolute Timbrens not the severe duty kit.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think it is that bad. Many trucks ride with that much of a lean without anything in them.

It is possible to make airbags ride horribly, but they also can make the ride better if they are adjusted to the right pressure.I like having them, but I've never bothered to adjust left to right lean based by the pressure. I always run the same pressure on both sides. I also use extended bump stops to engage the helper springs instead of just riding on the air bags.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a similar issue with my TC. The water tank is shifted towards the passenger side so that about 2/3 of the tank is on that side. The refrigerator and generator compartment are also on the passenger side. I have never had an issue with the extra weight on the passenger side but I do try to load any additional items on the driver's side.

The amount of list you measured is pretty small compared with the variation in road surfaces. For example, the standard road has a crowned surface that drops about 1/2" per foot or 4" for the roughly 8' width of your camper. We are so used to this, we don't even notice.

BTW, my experience with airbags was horrible. I got a lot of bounce and had to set my Rancho shocks at the highest setting to tame that somewhat. Unfortunately that high shock setting made for a jarring ride. If you really feel the need to level the camper, I would recommend SuperSprings. They can be easily adjusted to level the ride from left to right.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
But I know what you mean and being on the downhill side of the road crown it is a bit more noticeable. I typically ran a little more air in the passenger side.
But again if you like how it handles then you’re really only doing it for looks.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Unless it bothers you, visually, it’s all about how it handles.
I’m guessing it sags enough now to hit the overloads and help with stability.
Consider if you raise it at all it takes load off the overloads and affects body roll negatively.
Which is easily remedied by adding stable loads or shimming the overload. But another thing to add.