cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-40 west from Flagstaff???

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anyone recently driven west out of Flagstaff on I-40? I know I-17 into Flagstaff and I-40 east are both pothole central. I'm guessing that westbound to and through Williams and on to Kingman are probably just as bad given the winter we just had but... Our next trip out to Lake Havasu City, Laughlin and Bullhead City {for the big bike rally} is more direct on westbound I-40.

I would like to avoid having to roll through the Valley of the Sun {Phoenix} but not if it means dodging {or trying to} a lot of potholes up on I-40. :S
8 REPLIES 8

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
Janss wrote:
My friends went northbound on 93 out of Phoenix about a month ago and said it was a nice drive. Didn't mention potholes.

Last July I went westbound on I-40 to Kingman and don't recall thinking it was bad. But I sure recall the jarring drive I had coming back on I-40 from CA in October!

I've never seen so many vehicles beside the road with pothole-induced flats as we saw over a 4-day period driving that route down & back. The bad part is both lanes had 3'-4' diameter holes that were often staggered so that you couldn't dodge them some of the time.

We're not going from Vegas to PHX & Tucson area (cancelled a trip) solely due to the poor condition of 93 for miles & miles.
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

beatlecraig
Explorer
Explorer
I drove I-40 from Texas to California in late January. It was like riding inside a paint shaker at the hardware store. Parts of the suspension in the car inside my trailer were on the trailer floor after the drive. The nuts had been shaken completely off the bolts. By the time I got to Flagstaff my truck was in the shop for 2 days before I could keep going.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We came through Flagstaff headed west about a month ago. Lots of potholes in different areas but keeping my right side tires on the fog line I was able to avoid most all of them. West of Kingman to Yucca was the worst but with light traffic I could stay in the left lane(no potholes) most of the time unless someone was approaching from behind and then I would move over for them.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks one and all for your input. Think I'll just take the slightly longer trip down the 87 aka the Beeline to Phoenix. Leaving at 8, I'll miss the morning madness of the commute. Will skip 93 altogether as well and just stay on 10 out to Quartzsite and go north up through Parker and on into Lake Havasu.

Every RV Park in Laughlin and Bullhead City are booked up for the bike rally but it is only 63 miles to Laughlin and BC from our nice RV Park/Resort {Havasu Falls}. We will be hauling my Can Am Spyder in our 10' cargo trailer and are looking forward to doing a few days of quality riding on old Route 66. Probably have to take another ride out to Oatman to play with the Burro's on our way back to Havasu from the show. Coming home Sunday so we'll just head east on 10 back through Phoenix and take the Beeline back up to our home in Payson.

Here's a shot of our Can Am just off of Route 66 outside of Topock... and yes it is way too much fun:,

Here's a shot of the coach and trailer:

:B

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
You would be best off checking the local news or highway conditions over the Internet. Potholes likely just formed over the last week or so.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
My friends went northbound on 93 out of Phoenix about a month ago and said it was a nice drive. Didn't mention potholes.

Last July I went westbound on I-40 to Kingman and don't recall thinking it was bad. But I sure recall the jarring drive I had coming back on I-40 from CA in October!
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
Haven't been west on 40 out of Flag in a while but a month ago we took our car to Phx from Vegas & back. U.S. 93 between State line & Kingman is bad in places but 93 between the 40 & the Phx area is BRUTAL for a crazy amount of miles (especially around Wickenburg). Ive never seen holes so prevalent & so big in my life & I was born/raised in New England & lived in upper midwest at one point. Recommend anyone avoid this stretch of road if possible, at least until AZ decides to do something about it.
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
What potholes? :@ Have you been to Alaska where you can earn a PHD? :R

As in Pot Hole Dodging :B

OK Haven't been on I40 lately.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob