cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creak when reversing the fifth wheel

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all I have a B&W fifth wheel hitch and dexter axle on the fifth wheel, when reversing I’m now getting a creak followed by a bang when stopping,

Any ideas is it the B&W which need grease or the axle in the fifth wheel

Sounds like an old bed

Can you suggest or confirm If I can use litium grease from Walmart in the jaws of the fifth wheel and anywhere on the fifth wheel thanks
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
2020 Vanleigh Pinecrest 392MBP
B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ford Super Duty Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs
ITEM # BWRVK3305
51 REPLIES 51

JIMNLIN wrote:
tourusa wrote:
Great thanks so doing this on the road sounds doable one bolt at a time makes total sense thanks

When jacking a trailer till the suspension hangs watch those side links as sometimes they can flip. If it does when letting the suspension down it can cause much more load on one tire and the equalizer bar doesn't work like it should (suspension imbalance). BTDT and its a bear to get the link to flip back in the correct position.
When it does flip back its a big bang.

I always thought it was a bear to switch. Also, until my best friend had it happen to him. We did a YouTube search and it was incredibly easy. Put a jack underneath the properly hung axle and just jack it up. Any other side will flip
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
tourusa wrote:
Great thanks so doing this on the road sounds doable one bolt at a time makes total sense thanks

When jacking a trailer till the suspension hangs watch those side links as sometimes they can flip. If it does when letting the suspension down it can cause much more load on one tire and the equalizer bar doesn't work like it should (suspension imbalance). BTDT and its a bear to get the link to flip back in the correct position.
When it does flip back its a big bang.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ford Super Duty Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs
ITEM # BWRVK3305

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought the MorRyde wet bolt kit, includes wet bolts, bronze bushings and thicker shackles. Paid about $100.

Jack one side up, take out one spring bolt at a time and replace it with the wet bolts. Every year I put a pump of grease in the wet bolt. I used to have popping and creaking sounds when I drove slow through a campground, it is super quiet now.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Dexter axle, I would say plastic crappy, do you know how to replace and where to get the good ones from thanks
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have wet bolts with bronze bushings in the suspension, or the crappy plastic bushings? If plastic, it will wear through pretty quickly and make that banging sound.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
tourusa wrote:
Thanks much I will proceed with your suggestion

Let us know how this ends up. Might save someone else from dealing with it.

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks much I will proceed with your suggestion
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
My experience with a creaking noise on my tandem axle boat trailer and 5th wheel leads me to believe your noise is coming from the springs and associated areas. Rust builds up and any movement will cause a creaking sound. I coat all surfaces with PB Blaster, red and tacky grease or fogging oil used for winterizing outboard motors. It always goes away after a few miles of driving. You must have someone stand next to the axles and move the rig back and forth to see if the noise is actually coming from the axles. The way RV's are built today it is very common to have frame cracks or welds cracked. You cannot isolate this noise from the cab of the tow vehicle. Get someone to help

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your time and input always learning thanks
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I said "I don't recommend them", I didn't say "Don't use them". You are certainly free to do whatever you wish. It's your grease, and money, to waste.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Just to clarify, you can't get too much grease into the axle to blow past the rear seal using the EZ-Lube system and a hand powered grease gun. Excess grease will exit the axle past the grease zerk. If grease gets past the seal, it's a bad seal.

The problem is, using the EZ Lube is akin to working blindfolded. One cannot tell if a seal has failed until the damage is done.
I don't recommend using the EZ-Lube system, I was just explaining you can't "blow the grease seals" by adding too much grease via the EZ-Lube zerk. I don't use them, and don't see the value in using them.

Dunno. I used them every year for 13 years on my '04 Komfort and never blew out a seal. Jack up a wheel, spin it while =slowly= pupmping grease, listen for popping noise, stop pumping, lower the wheel, jack up the next one. (shrug)

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks and agree, on the road I had to leverage future will have a trailer company perform full service
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Just to clarify, you can't get too much grease into the axle to blow past the rear seal using the EZ-Lube system and a hand powered grease gun. Excess grease will exit the axle past the grease zerk. If grease gets past the seal, it's a bad seal.

The problem is, using the EZ Lube is akin to working blindfolded. One cannot tell if a seal has failed until the damage is done.
I don't recommend using the EZ-Lube system, I was just explaining you can't "blow the grease seals" by adding too much grease via the EZ-Lube zerk. I don't use them, and don't see the value in using them.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"