cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camp ground near Thuront MD for Oct 20 - 23 or so.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
NEAR is the key word. I have a 38ft DP with a Toad. Prefer a private campground but could take something else. I already googled and I have a place in Glan Burnie so I'm not interested in Cherry Hill etc. NEAR Thurmont. Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe you don't understand these official "no fly" zones. If the Pres or any other high ranking official is around private aircraft are not allowed in the area. They are and have been forever in effect. As a family owning private aircraft in the DC area trust me it is a big deal.
I may end up in Gettysburg but I will try Yogi tomorrow. Harpers Ferry is a pretty good hike. Any way thanks for all the help so far and I'll keep on looking.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fly over zones aren't a big deal at Camp David. Our house was about a mile from there and although we used to see the occasional Osprey or Chopper in and out there's not usually much to even know they are there. When we go back to visit friends and family we usually stay at KOA in Harpers Ferry or Ramblin pines. Harpers Ferry is right at 340/15/RT 9 so fairly decent location for access to Frederick and surrounding points. Ramblin Pines is better if you want to be East of Frederick, but sounds like a moot point if they're booked. Yogi in Williamsport is close to the 81/70 interchange but ungodly expensive (over $100/night) so we don't really stay there anymore. And it gets busy the entire season. Frankly I don't get it, but whatever.

If it were me, being the venue is in Thurmont, I'd stay in Gettysburg. Closer and straight shot down 15 to get there. Is the wedding at the winery on 15 just south of Thurmont?
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ramblin Pines is full when I need to be there

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantly this is the most complicated thing I been involved in lately. We are in NC right now and leaving here for Myrtle Beach then Charleston then don't know where so I don't even know where I'll be coming from. Now something about hoping nothing is happening at Camp David because of their fly over zones when big shots are there. Something about flying a banner over the wedding site. Mama don't care about leaves. Wedding site won't let us park there because some nice camper dumped their black tank in the parking lot last summer. I'll check Ramblin Pines tonight

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
CG's in that area also get busy around Halloween. Halloween and the weekends prior are a big draw for family CG's. Beware your only 1 week away from Halloween.
If you book soon you should be OK.

I agree with Way2roll that Ramblin Pines is off the beaten Path.
However its only 10 minutes or so from the interstate and has decent access in and out.
Its not a bad location if you want to be in the Ellicott City Oella area.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I was afraid of that

Looks like colorfest is 10/14 -15 so your timing should just miss it.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was afraid of that

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
I used to live about 5 miles from Cunningham falls. I can tell you that Cunningham falls and Greenbrier - which are the 2 closest CG's - won't fit your rig very well. These are older, tight State parks, in the mountains and even if they have a site to fit it, it's white knuckle getting in and out.

Probably the closest CG's are in the Gettysburg area. It's about a 20 min drive from Thurmont and there are a few that are full hookup.

Outside of that, you have Rambling pines but it's a little off the beaten path, Yogi in Williamsport and KOA in Harpers ferry. They're all about 30 - 35 mins from Thurmont.

On Edit; I would book sooner than later. The dates you are talking about is "leafer" heaven. People come from all over to Thurmont for the mountain leaves and Fall fest in Thurmont. So many people that cars get parked lined up on the highway and off ramps. It's nuts.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Ramblin Pines is basically at I-70 and MD-97.
Oella is about 20-25 minutes from Ramblin Pines.
Thurmont is about 45-50 minutes from Ramblin Pines.
Ramblin Pines is pretty close to both your kids.
Correct Trax,Splendide

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley thanks for getting my spelling right. My daughter lives on Oella and son lives on the Howard Co side of your town. Reason I said GB is because we have a house on Aviation Blvd accross from the general aviation terminal at BWI. She is getting married near Thurmont on the 22nd. I don't need to be close but would be nice. I looked at Ramblin Pines, how close to Thurmont is it?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Glen Burnie is pretty far from Thurmont. Cunningham Falls State Park Is right in Thurmont. They have sites that would fit Your DP but it would be tight getting in. However if I can fit my 39' fiver you could fit your 39'DP.
If state parks are not your thing, consider the Gettysburg CG's.
Granite Hill, Drummer Boy, Artillery Ridge, Gettysburg KOA, Round Top, are all closer to Thurmont than Glen Burnie.
If you want to be closer to the Balto. Metro area Ramblin Pines is on the west side of Baltimore in Woodbine, MD not really close to Thurmont but still a good 45 minutes closer than Glen Burnie.
Correct Trax,Splendide

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.