cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lithium Battery heater

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
I seek information on what others use to heat batteries when it is cold. I am leaning towards 12 volt heating pads of some kind. I am not sure how warm my battery compartment stays when the heat is on. And it wont be on when traveling. Is there a pad with a built in thermostat? Can anyone recommend reasonably priced 12 volt thermostat(under $40). Thank you in advance.
20 REPLIES 20

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Time2roll,

Thanks.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
otrfun,

Is there a reason for 55 to 60 as opposed to 77 f?
Very small performance drop to 50. Performance drop is a curve, not linear. And of course most things stop around 32. Heating to 77 is fine except uses more energy while providing little benefit vs 55 zone.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Because they warm up with use and would suck more juice being heated to 77deg continuously when not used?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
otrfun,

Is there a reason for 55 to 60 as opposed to 77 f?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMO, it's just a matter of time before all 12v, consumer-grade, lifepo4 batteries come standard with internal heating pads. It's far from rocket science, plus the costs for manufacturers to add a few silicone heating pads and a BMS with a heating pad terminal are minimal. Consumers wanted low-temperature cut-off, they got it. Internally heated batteries are next.

On a sidenote, some may not know that cold weather operation of lifepo4 batteries negatively affects discharge performance in addition to charge performance. Dropping the temperature of a lifepo4 battery from 77f to 32f can reduce the battery's total ah output by approx. 10%. This means a battery that produces 100ah at 77f may only produce 90ah at 32f. Not only is the ah output reduced, the maximum continuous discharge current the battery can safely produce is also reduced. In other words, powering a microwave while your lifepo4 battery sits in sub-freezing temps may not be doing your lifepo4 battery any big favors.

During the winter we keep our lifepo4 internally heated to a constant 55-60f (cell temps), 24/7. We do this to: 1) maximize ah output (any increase here helps power the heating pads), and 2) lower the risk of reducing cycle life with any high current discharges. Plus, it goes without saying . . . we also retain full charge capability, 24/7, too. For us, a win-win-win.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
We rarely see freezing temps (one of the reasons we live full time in our "wheel estate"). ๐Ÿ˜‰ And our SOK batteries have built in BMS that won't allow charging when the INTERNAL battery temperature drops below freezing. Hence, I don't see a need for battery heaters.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

bdosborn
Explorer
Explorer
You can build your own heater:

DIY Battery Heater See post #14

Bruce
2010 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
Custom Frame, Poptop, AC, Espar Diesel Furnace, HW Heater, Sink, Shower, 12V-120V, LED Lights, TV and XM Radio, DVD Player, 300W PV Panels, PD 9140 Charger, Tongue Box, Filon Exterior, 1000W Generator, Patient Wife
Boxcar Build

greenno
Explorer
Explorer
The LifePo4 batterys I got were in 4.2v cells rated at 280ahr. EVE grade A.
Building the two battery's give me about 560total hrs probably only 530ahrs or so.
They do not come with heaters.
Total cost all in for everything was about 2k. Worth it in the long run.

My BMS also has a temp reading via B-tooth as well.
Alot more bang for your buck going this way.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:
Use Lithium Titinate batteries, or SiO2

Couple little heat pads are way cheaper for occasional need.
I agree with you though if youโ€™re camping in -37 deg weather, which only 0.00001% of RVers do.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Only if youโ€™re buying!

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
Major brands of Lifepo4 batteries are available with internally heated models (eg. Battle born, Lithionics). If you're doing an initial setup, this would be the way to go.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Use Lithium Titinate batteries, or SiO2
Regards, Don

greenno
Explorer
Explorer
I went another route.
I added a small fan with a temp sensor and digital readout and the fan comes on when temp gets down to 40F and circulates the warmer air on the inside of the cabin into the battery compartment.
Added a couple of small vent covers to allow the air to flow easier.
We had 30f the other day here in SD if you can believe that and I ran outside and checked the temp in the battery compartment and it was 50f.
Temp inside the cabin was at 52f.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 tons wrote:
Get yourself a wireless Thermometer with remote sensors from Amazon, place one sensor on the batteryโ€ฆ

3 tons

Do that.
And insulate the exterior battery compartment door.
If possible, leave interior cabinet door(s) open so that cabin air can circulate into basement area.
You may not need a battery warmer unless you plan to camp in extreme low temperatures and charge battery in those conditions.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats