cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request Structural Change.

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had any experience with having a structural change made to a trailer, during manufacturing?

Looking for a TT that has no slide-outs and the ones of a size which we like all have slide-outs (not interested in Airstream). Are any manufacturers receptive to not cutting the wall and installing the slide-out? I understand it would change the weight balance, but I'm sure we could find something to replace the missing weight.

I realize we could contact each manufacturer, but looking for anyone who may have some actual experience with this.

Marv
14 REPLIES 14

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
The upcharge would likely be more than the cost of the trailer. They would have to pull in their layout people to redesign the interior, then have the engineers sign off, then custom manufacture the interior to the new specs.

If you've got big bucks, finding a custom shop that can just build a trailer from scratch.

If no big bucks, finding an existing layout without slides is your best bet.

Is there a reason you don't want slides? There is a good reason 95% of the options have slides.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ralph_day
Explorer
Explorer
If you're not in a hurry and wouldn't mind a trip to Ontario to pick up there's Taylorcoach. Have a look at Taylorcoach.com, video walk throughs on youtube

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Allen Camper

Try calling this place:

https://allencampermfg.com/

They make specialty trailers, perhaps there is a floorplan you like they already have and ask them if they would not put the slide-out in.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
lhenry8113 wrote:
Northwood MFG. in Oregon makes Arctic Fox, Nash, etc. Should check them out-I know they make a Nash trailer camper with no slides. Also, I like the fact that they make their trailer and camper.

The last word few words are missing from your sentence.

Northwood (and ORV, a sister company) build their own trailer frames rather than outsourcing them to Lippert.

Both have at least on model with no slides. Northwood has the Nash 17k. I had one for a few years.

Nash 17k video walkthrough
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Y-Guy wrote:
I don't think you're going to find any mass producing manufacturer is going to be willing to make accommodations for a one-off custom floor plan.

DITTO!
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Sort of figured it would be a no go.

Marv

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
Northwood MFG. in Oregon makes Arctic Fox, Nash, etc. Should check them out-I know they make a Nash trailer camper with no slides. Also, I like the fact that they make their trailer and camper.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Second Chance wrote:
Google is your friend:

Article 1

Article 2

Article 3

Etc....

I suspect they’re looking for a larger TT than most of what you posted but there are some larger ones there.
Toyhauler is the way to go for big, no slide and competitively priced.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So presumably you’re looking for a big TC.
Idk anything about RV manufacturing but like others said, I don’t believe they’re like Burger King. Can’t have it your way, lol.
Presume you’re looking at bigger TTs because plenty of small ones without slide outs.
Suggestions:
1. Get a slide out model with a slide out that is very useable retracted, and never use it. It’ll help with resale and hurt nothing.
2. Get a toyhauler. Lots of large bp toyhaulers with no slide out. Bonus, more open useable living space than the same size TT. And other benefits like a porch, huge water tanks and most have built in gas generators with big fuel capacity, heavier running gear than similar size TTs. Another bonus, ability to carry toys easily whether it’s bikes or a big bbq or kayaks or if not typical motor sports toys.
3. ATC makes very nice large TTs with no slide out. And you could probably custom order anything in it. Will also cost you about 2x the average mass produced TT. Bonus, it will be on a real trailer/frame and lower profile than a typical TT.
4. Get over it and get a slide out. If you’re worried about issues with it, don’t be.
5. Everything RV is a compromise. And if you’re looking for a configuration that honestly no one makes, then it’s not popular at all and will hurt resale if you did have that. It feels like there would be something larger out there that has no slide out. Aside from the aforementioned.

Hope this helps.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google is your friend:

Article 1

Article 2

Article 3

Etc....
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
My experience:
Leaving out interior furniture->maybe.
Changes to the basic box and runnig gear->no way.
OP needs to shop around for something without a slide. There are a few.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Would not be worth their time to custom make one special for you unless you were will to pay out a premium for it. And not too likely even then. It would require new engineering drawings to restructure the framework. Basically becoming a new model in itself.

Y-Guy
I don't think you're going to find any mass producing manufacturer is going to be willing to make accommodations for a one-off custom floor plan.

I know of one manufacturer that does do some custom work; Dune Sport. Over the years they've had a bit of a mixed bag of reviews. Before you contact them take the time to read about things from one of our toy hauler members that purchased from them; purchased a custom dune sport toyhauler

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don’t think it’s just a matter of not cutting a hole and associated hardware. It most likely will require a significant changes to the floor plan as well.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT