cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 1500 series pickups and Hensley Arrow

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’ve never towed with a half ton nor have I towed a tag axle RV. My sister has a newer GMC Denali 1500 with the baby Duramax and tow package. The truck is rated to tow up to 13000 lbs. She has no experience towing. The trailer they are planning on buying is a 24 foot tandem axle tag trailer with a GVWR of about 6000 lbs. Is buying a Hensley Arrow hitch for such a small trailer of much value or is the GM anti sway control along with a typical weight distribution hitch more than adequate to provide a safe and pleasant towing experience?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
19 REPLIES 19

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
. She has no experience towing.?

Get the Arrow -- no white knuckles when an 18 wheeler passes her. My wife would not drive until we got the Arrow because of the 18 wheeler bow wave. Now she want to do ALL the driving. That is OK with me.

x2

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
4x4ord wrote:
^^^ It’s an honest question. I found a super deal on a new Hensley but if it’s just totally unnecessary for her application, than even at a deal it might be a waste of money. They have a cheap weight distribution hitch that is supposed to provide some sway control that they used on their previous trailer. My BIL figures that’s all she needs.

He's right, it's all they need. The Arrow would be nice, but would there be a night and day difference in towing? I don't think so. Maybe if the trailer was closer to 9000lbs.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
Either way this question is pretty leading coming from the OP who hauls 30k or whatever behind his f350.

That's on a 5th wheel pin. If he's never towed what I call a "bumper pull" trailer as he claims...

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
Well for sure the Hensley would GUARANTEE a safe pleasant towing experience.

Any weight distribution hitch worth buying these days has sway control integrated into the design. It would not make sense to buy a simple basic hitch to save a couple hundred bucks.

The reality is that by and large, "tag axle" towing is not that big of a deal. Sounds like this rig will be well within its limits, and probably would not even need weight distribution save for the receiver rating of 500lbs.

Couple hundred bucks? What you talkin aboot Willis?
Simple WDH with sway control = $500 new or dime a dozen used for half that much.
A pro pride is like 4 grand…..
You must’ve meant save “a couple thousand bucks” is not a big deal?

Four grand?? At that point just put that amount toward an HD truck and skip the half ton altogether.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I would never say a Hensley or PP are unnecessary. They perform like no other hitch. Skills and ability do come into play but if you think you need a Hensley or are contemplating a Hensley, than you are likely a good candidate for a Hensley and would benefit from the additional performance it provides.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^ It’s an honest question. I found a super deal on a new Hensley but if it’s just totally unnecessary for her application, than even at a deal it might be a waste of money. They have a cheap weight distribution hitch that is supposed to provide some sway control that they used on their previous trailer. My BIL figures that’s all she needs.
B&W Companion

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
mkirsch wrote:

Any weight distribution hitch worth buying these days has sway control integrated into the design. It would not make sense to buy a simple basic hitch to save a couple hundred bucks.

The reality is that by and large, "tag axle" towing is not that big of a deal. Sounds like this rig will be well within its limits, and probably would not even need weight distribution save for the receiver rating of 500lbs.

Simple WDH with sway control = $500 new or dime a dozen used for half that much.

No.

The "couple hundred bucks" is the difference between conventional WDH and WDH with sway control. The Hensley was not even part of that statement.

Gotcha. I agree. Maybe I was thrown off by the words in the statement above the statement you’re referring to. My bad.
Either way this question is pretty leading coming from the OP who hauls 30k or whatever behind his f350.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
TenOC wrote:
4x4ord wrote:

Get the Arrow -- no white knuckles when an 18 wheeler passes her. My wife would not drive until we got the Arrow because of the 18 wheeler bow wave. Now she want to do ALL the driving. That is OK with me.

Statements like this trip my bullsnot meter. Why? Because thousands of times I have seen trucks with 20 foot van bodies have to move back to center of lane because they where pushed by my truck's wind blast.
I can not see any way any hitch between 2 vehicles can make the pair more stable than mounting both to same frame.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
mkirsch wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
mkirsch wrote:

No.

The "couple hundred bucks" is the difference between conventional WDH and WDH with sway control. The Hensley was not even part of that statement.

Hensley Arrow on eBay

Plus $500 ??? shipping Also a ProPride listed for $1,800 ???
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
mkirsch wrote:

No.

blt2ski
Looks like the GCWR is around 17K or 19K depending on the tire rim diameter.

So yes, she "COULD" go to 13K or so! I would not go much higher than 8-9,000 with my 1500. Thats higher than my rated number with a 4.3 V6. At some point in time, you just plain over task a given truck chassis with the load behind it! That little dmax has more or close to the same HP/torque spec, more gears in transmission etc than some of the late 90's BIG diesels in 25/35 series trucks rated at or about 12-13K also. I would fully expect the baby dmax to do just fine.

With this said, a trailer with dual 3500-4000 lbs axels, add in 1000-1200 lbs of hitch weight. 2-4 bodies(people or dogs etc) in that truck. Your maxed out payload, rear spring wise etc. My dual cab has around 3000 lbs of payload to max axel capacity, ~2000 to GVWR.

You know how to figure out the how fast up a hill that rig will go based on the motor specs, gearing etc. It's more of a what will the chassis handle?

With that, an aerodynamic trailer will need less HP, better speed towing, fewer issues with wind, be it actual or bow waves from trucks etc.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
4x4ord wrote:

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
Ok you never mentioned max tow. Just the tow package. Those are 2 different packages. People get confused and see the high tow rating and assume that’s what they have. Her towing capacity will be posted on the drivers door jamb.
Here’s the fine print on your link:

1 Maximum trailering ratings are intended for comparison purposes only. Before you buy a vehicle or use it for trailering, carefully review the Trailering section of the Owner’s Manual. The trailering capacity of your specific vehicle may vary.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^ I checked. Looks like the 2022 crew cab 4x4 1500 with the Duramax and the max tow package is rated for 12900 lbs conventional towing:Click
B&W Companion