cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane smell inside oven

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
There's a thread which is very useful not not quite applicable to my case: "Propane smell inside trailer...how to best diagnose?"

There is a slight propane smell inside the oven when the pilot is lit but none anywhere when the pilot is off.

What should I look for?
18 REPLIES 18

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
We turn the pilot light on when we use the stove. It has a piezo-electric igniter so not a big deal.
A piezo lights the pilot that then lights the stove?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Get some soap bubbles and check your pilot tube, the nut at the pilot and at the gas valve. I have found lots of small leaks on pilot tubes over the years.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had the same thing going on and it was a real small fuzz leak where the tube tightened into the pilot assembly. Tightened, smell gone.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
When we leave our oven pilot light lit for a few days, my wife can smell it. What she smells is not propane though, it is propane combustion byproducts. Get a propane detector and put it in there. They are very sensitive. If there is propane, it will tell you. Otherwise, it is probably combustion byproducts you smell.

My thought as well.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we leave our oven pilot light lit for a few days, my wife can smell it. What she smells is not propane though, it is propane combustion byproducts. Get a propane detector and put it in there. They are very sensitive. If there is propane, it will tell you. Otherwise, it is probably combustion byproducts you smell.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
That should be BAKING!
auto correct sucks!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
enblethen wrote:
Why are you leaving oven pilot on when not backing or broiling?
I don't know what backing is but we leave it on because to light it, one of us has to get down on the floor and reach backwards with a lighter while holding the pilot knob pressed in.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I turn off the pilot to the oven to save fuel and make my feeble safety mind a little happier. This while we are traveling not when setup.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Is your propane level low? If so, then the mercaptans in the propane will start to smell because it is more concentrated in the bottom of the tank. That's why both the pilot light and the burner produces an odor. Just refilling the propane tank will take care of the problem.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a problem, just a waste of propane. Not a big waste, but... We turn the pilot light on when we use the stove. It has a piezo-electric igniter so not a big deal.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I do that. Is that a problem?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look at the end of the pilot tube. Many have a small "deflector" it could have been hit so the pilot is not burning all the propane.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
If no one else has a good answer, this might be a question for youtube.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
It smells with just the pilot going (though I think it also smells when the pilot is on and burner tube is lit).