Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on Yellowstone trip

bsbeedub
Explorer
Explorer
First:
We’re traveling to Yellowstone in September of 2023 and will be staying at Fishing Bridge RV Park. We got our reservations on the first available day this past September. We’ll be at Devils Tower at one point and then an overnight in Ten Sleep, WY. I want to take the least mountainous route there is and it looks like US-16 out of Ten Sleep, south on US-20 to Thermopolis then north on WY-120 up to US-14 west through Cody and into the park’s east entrance.
I’ve read that north out of Ten Sleep to US-14 west is much more mountainous. For those of you that are familiar with the trip, what are your thoughts on my route choice?

Second:
My 5er’s tires will be a few months shy of three years old when we begin our trip. I’m wondering if I should replace them beforehand. Opinions?
Bob & Susan
Shelby the Beagle June 8, 2005 - Dec. 24, 2016
2018 Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, long bed, 4.10’s
2021 Coachman Chaparral Lite 25 RE
2011 Gulfstream Ameri-Lite 23BW - retired
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - retired
33 REPLIES 33

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I did it with my Excursion and 35ft TT. I just took it slow and used the pullouts to stop and get some pics. Yes there are a lot of switchbacks, but I’ve seen way worse.
We stayed at Perry’s RV Park in Red Lodge. The other thing one could do is stay there and do an early trip up to the top of the Beartooth and then come back down and drive around to Cody. But at that point it’s so close to get into Yellowstone I would just take 212. I wasn’t the only RV or Trailer up there that day.
But the whole point of this thread was suggestions on avoiding mountainous routes. 🙂

Yes, I know they specifically said that, but they (or anyone) miss out on so much scenery it would be a shame to avoid them. Yes the Beartooth isn’t for everyone but there are options like I mentioned on stating in Red Lodge and driving the Beartooth without the trailer. And then backtracking around to Cody.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
bsbeedub wrote:
First:
We’re traveling to Yellowstone in September of 2023 and will be staying at Fishing Bridge RV Park. We got our reservations on the first available day this past September. We’ll be at Devils Tower at one point and then an overnight in Ten Sleep, WY. I want to take the least mountainous route there is and it looks like US-16 out of Ten Sleep, south on US-20 to Thermopolis then north on WY-120 up to US-14 west through Cody and into the park’s east entrance.
I’ve read that north out of Ten Sleep to US-14 west is much more mountainous. For those of you that are familiar with the trip, what are your thoughts on my route choice?

Second:
My 5er’s tires will be a few months shy of three years old when we begin our trip. I’m wondering if I should replace them beforehand. Opinions?

That routes fine, no mountain passes or hairy schitt. 3 year old tires are fine. The rest of the garble about driving the bear tooth and whatever…..whatever.
Why would an experienced RVer be asking these questions is the question?
Pro tip. If you look at a map. Most any topographical road map either paper or phone or online, you can SEE mountain passes. It’s such a cool thing I learned in like 1980 when I was 8 years old and looked at a AAA roadmap of a western state for the first time. You should try it.
And also check your abilities before pulling the land yacht. These are questions and responses that indicate some lack of skill or ability is present.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
I did it with my Excursion and 35ft TT. I just took it slow and used the pullouts to stop and get some pics. Yes there are a lot of switchbacks, but I’ve seen way worse.
We stayed at Perry’s RV Park in Red Lodge. The other thing one could do is stay there and do an early trip up to the top of the Beartooth and then come back down and drive around to Cody. But at that point it’s so close to get into Yellowstone I would just take 212. I wasn’t the only RV or Trailer up there that day.
But the whole point of this thread was suggestions on avoiding mountainous routes. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
MFL wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
You will have mountain passes anywhere you go. Personally I would go into the park through RedLodge and over the Bear Tooth Highway. Amazing scenery and takes through Cooke City. For me this is a great way to come into the park!

While I agree with much of this, I would not want to take 212 (bear tooth highway) from Laurel, towing a heavy trailer. That road uses many switch backs, tight turns, followed by steep climbs. Again, I have ridden this highway on a motorcycle, great fun. Stayed at Red Lodge KOA (nice place) I still think best option is to enter from Cody, and a no brainer, if you are already at Ten Sleep.

These areas...weather, ya never know? You take your chances!

I towed enclosed snowmobile trailers 6 times from Bozeman to West Yellowstone. Often a challenge, sometimes a wait, while plows were doing their job. This was in Winter though!

I motorcycled through Glacier Park, late July, right after they got 14"s of snow overnight. While I was riding up highway to the sun, skiers were skiing down next to the road.

Jerry
Jerry, I think he was being facetious about coming over Bear Tooth Pass pulling a trailer when the OP was trying to avoid mountain driving. 🙂

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
bsbeedub wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Did the same route last fall...

US-16 is the better route across the Big Horn Mts (vs US-14) but still a decent climb and drop. That's really the mountainous part of getting from Devils Tower to Fishing Bridge.

At 10 Sleep you are past the worst, the route isn't bad at all (north to Greybull then west to Cody). No reason to go way south to Thermopolis.

As far as tires, assuming there are no other issues (balding, bubbles on the sidewall, etc...), 3yrs is fine. Typically around 6-7yrs is when you start to consider tires having aged out.

Thermopolis looks like a cool little town. We thought the spring itself might be something interesting to see. Going through there is a bit longer but it is also something else to see on our trip.

If you intend it as a destination sure, the original post made sound like a way point to get to Yellowstone.

Fishing Bridge is pricey but the location is what you are paying for. We spent a week and it probably saved us 10hr of driving.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
"Avoid the train station"

Sorry - as someone who has been binge-watching the (often grim) Yellowstone TV series, I just couldn't help it ROFL!!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
In addition, avoid Teton Pass and instead go around through the Snake River canyon to Alpine Pass.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^^I hope that was his intention, but ya just never know??

He's right about the scenic, no question there!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
You will have mountain passes anywhere you go. Personally I would go into the park through RedLodge and over the Bear Tooth Highway. Amazing scenery and takes through Cooke City. For me this is a great way to come into the park!

While I agree with much of this, I would not want to take 212 (bear tooth highway) from Laurel, towing a heavy trailer. That road uses many switch backs, tight turns, followed by steep climbs. Again, I have ridden this highway on a motorcycle, great fun. Stayed at Red Lodge KOA (nice place) I still think best option is to enter from Cody, and a no brainer, if you are already at Ten Sleep.

I towed enclosed snowmobile trailers 6 times from Bozeman to West Yellowstone. Often a challenge, sometimes a wait, while plows were doing their job. This was in Winter though!

I motorcycled through Glacier Park, late July, right after they got 14"s of snow overnight. While I was riding up highway to the sun, skiers were skiing down next to the road.

Jerry
Jerry, I think he was being facetious about coming over Bear Tooth Pass pulling a trailer when the OP was trying to avoid mountain driving. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
dodge guy wrote:

Jerry

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Fishing Bridge around 6 years ago when we first purchased our fifth wheel. Our reservation was for the last week the park was open and ended on September 20th. The second to the last night we had considerable rain and snow mix at Fishing Bridge, but nothing stuck. The East Entrance was closed with a reported 4 feet of snow on the pass. We bugged out a day early as I wasn't prepared for winter driving.

We stayed at the Tetons prior and had a similar decision regarding Teton Pass. We decided to circumvent it.

We were lucky in that it only rained at night and we thoroughly enjoyed the park. We did hit some snow on Dunraven pass which added to the beauty. Driving and parking in the park was easy, however the main attractions were semi-crowded due to the tour buses. I wouldn't let the September time frame deter you, just come prepared more-so than what I did.

bsbeedub
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are giving me some great info. Thanks!
Bob & Susan
Shelby the Beagle June 8, 2005 - Dec. 24, 2016
2018 Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, long bed, 4.10’s
2021 Coachman Chaparral Lite 25 RE
2011 Gulfstream Ameri-Lite 23BW - retired
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - retired

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a data point, IIRC I80 has been closed by snow every month of the year in Wyoming except August. This is mountain country, expect unpredictable mountain weather.
And unpredictable means it could be 70 deg every day in September or 20 degrees. No way to tell which it will be
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is