cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram 1500 owners.... tires

huskyfan68
Explorer
Explorer
tried posting this on Ram site but no answers- I tow with a 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi- quad cab- Has stock 275/60 R20 tires on and needs new ones.
Anyone know largest size I can put on without any sort of lift?
17 REPLIES 17

blt2ski
Jim,
I'm in the -1.5 city, -4 hwy.
The tires are 15lbs heavier, along with a traction vs hwy tread. The overall weight IMHO is the biggest issue. Traction in the past has been a 1mpg hit.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
thats about what I lost when going to a LT E on the different 1/2 ton trucks I've owned over the years. I've also tried load D and E on 1/2 ton trucks but always went back to P tires (44 psi on P SL tires and 51 psi on P XL tires).
And one reason (when ordering) I stuck with the 17" OEM P265/75-17 tires/Aluminum wheels on the wifes 2016 1500 chevy.
I did come up with a extra set of four 17" OEM steel wheels and mounted A set of Goodyear LT 265/75-17 load C for muddy work sites and pasture work pulling a 10k car hauler with a 7600 lb blue tractor with a cab. Makes for a tall 11' 8" top heavy load. The steelies and load C tires are heavier resulting in 1-2 mpg loss on highway trips....not so much around local runs around the area.

I'll probably go down to a 275-65 as they are lighter in weight and come in an XL. Lost over 3mpg with the heavier tires.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
What he said!
And then get some LT E load tires if youโ€™re towing anything significant or just want to experience much longer tire life for not much more money.

DANG, you beat me to it!!! Much more stable towing platform and YES the tires will last a LONNNNNG time.

I put some new tires on a Chevy 1500 I bought this Winter. This is a run around truck and so I was considering lighter duty tires for it. What I learned from the tire shop is that the LT tires have deeper tread than do the P or lighter duty tires. He showed me on the screen the tread depth differences between LT's and other lighter tires. So when people say that they last longer, it makes total sense given the tread depth is deeper. It doesn't take much math to determine that paying a little more for an LT certainly is not money wasted.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
What he said!
And then get some LT E load tires if youโ€™re towing anything significant or just want to experience much longer tire life for not much more money.

DANG, you beat me to it!!! Much more stable towing platform and YES the tires will last a LONNNNNG time.

And not gonna lose you 3 mpg apples to apples.
Even Martyโ€™s startin to get cabin fever or somethinโ€ฆ.cornfusing issues l
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
What he said!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm running E tires stock size on this truck. I had 275 65 20 on my previous Ram1500 and it absolutely wrecked my towing mileage, which isn't great with a Ram 1500 to start with.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

blt2ski
Grit dog wrote:
@Marty, what is the point of LRE tires on a half ton (assuming no need for the additional weight capacity like you mentioned)?
Because what I said above. Greater value typically. Iโ€™ve run through a lot of tires and heavier duty tires last longer proportionally than the increase in purchase price.
Also means youโ€™re driving on the โ€œtop halfโ€ of the tread longer. You know the good part where you get better traction.
And generally increased puncture and damage resistance. Or less value on a total pavement princess truck, but a lot of folks do truck stuff with their trucks.

Size I wanted ONLY comes in one load range! IF I could have bought an XL, I would have! SOmething for ALL to think about when buying things like tires.
I'll probably go down to a 275-65 as they are lighter in weight and come in an XL. Lost over 3mpg with the heavier tires.

Marty

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
mkirsch wrote:
MFL wrote:
It is possible someone here, may have same truck, BTDT, and could tell what worked for them?

Pretty sure that was the whole point of asking.

That is a brilliant deduction. However, OP has not found the easy answer, he's been hoping for, and just needs to go out, measure, do his own homework, to get a proper fit, as I suggested in my complete post above.

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
@Marty, what is the point of LRE tires on a half ton (assuming no need for the additional weight capacity like you mentioned)?
Because what I said above. Greater value typically. Iโ€™ve run through a lot of tires and heavier duty tires last longer proportionally than the increase in purchase price.
Also means youโ€™re driving on the โ€œtop halfโ€ of the tread longer. You know the good part where you get better traction.
And generally increased puncture and damage resistance. Or less value on a total pavement princess truck, but a lot of folks do truck stuff with their trucks.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
MFL wrote:
It is possible someone here, may have same truck, BTDT, and could tell what worked for them?

Pretty sure that was the whole point of asking.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

blt2ski
I have LR E tires on my GM 1500, I've never had enought load in the bed to need 80 lbs on the rear tires! needed 45-50. Or what an XL/ LR C tire is PSI rated too. Unless like mine you are running 8000 lbs per axle. WHY have LR E tires?

WIth this said, I have no idea what size you can do stock on a Dodge. I's swag I had clearance for the 28-65-18 32.5" tires I upgraded to vs 265-65's at 31.5". I did do a 2" strut leveling kit in the front, and a helper spring that lifted the rear around 1.5". My sone thinks his 305-65-18's will fit. He has a 4" lift on his 05 GM reg cab.

I've done 1" diam changes on my SW 3500's in the past with out issues.

Marty

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Another @wuts duh biggest tirez iโ€™s kin fit? โ€ฆ..thread

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
What he said!
Agree. IME they noticeably increased stability at the rear of the truck with no downside.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I ran 305/55r20s on a 1.4" lift on my 2015 Ram Quad Cab. It's not really a lift at all when it comes to clearance issues. In fact a coworker had a similar Ram that sat at virtually the same height with no lift at all. My wheels had 3/4" less back spacing though, which means they stuck out that much more. That really should only affect clearance of the upper ball joint which is pretty close. I bet the dealer would test fit a tire to see how close everything is.

Unless you're talking about a taller tire. I think people routinely run 275/65r20 on stock rims with no lift. That's about an inch taller. Dunno if you can go more than that or not. Once again a test fit might tell you all you need to know.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE