Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow Dolly Recommendations

sparky60
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,
We’ll be buying a tow dolly to pull our 2022 Toyota Corolla behind our Class C Motorhome (cannot flat tow the Corolla). There are many kinds, no pivot, center pivot, electric brakes, surge brakes. I'd like to hear from those of you that are using or have used a car dolly and what kind and brand you would or would not recommend.
Thanks very much!
7 REPLIES 7

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
That dolly I have is a Master Tow. Made in Fayetteville, NC. I don't know how it compares to others but its been good for me other than having to replace tires. I also keep it inside when not in use.

Up_DownDeCoast
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
Early on I bought a Demco (Dethmers Mfg. Co.) with surge brakes. One of the best investments I ever made. All galvanized construction (other than the plastic fenders). Built like a fortress and never, NEVER an issue over all the years I owned it (other than tire replacements, of course). They're not cheap, but you will not find a better product. And, when and if you get ready to sell it, buyers will line up for it, because everyone appreciates quality.

X2 for the Demco dolly.

We've had ours 15 years now. Works as good now as the day I bought it. We have the KarKaddy SS which is their top of the line. Like Rick said, they're not cheap, but it's built like a tank. Well except the fenders. They've gotten a few stress cracks over the years. Had to replace a tail light a few years back, but never had a mechanical problem with it.
David and Wendy
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2021 Honda CR-V
Demco KarKaddy SS Tow Dolly

sparky60
Explorer
Explorer
Great information everyone - THANK YOU!

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
We had a Demco years ago to tow a Civic at the time. It was a great dolly, well built and performed as it should. Never any problems with it. If I recall it had a pin to pivot it but we always left the pin in. The biggest issue I had was getting the civic on it when it was raining. The highway tires and setup of the civic made it pretty challenging to get it on the ramps when they were wet. Moving it at home or at a CG by hand wasn't a lot of fun either but I guess you'd have that no matter the brand. When we sold it we also had people falling over themselves to buy it.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have used a dolly, same one, for 30 years or more behind several Cs and DPs pulling several different cars. Have had Smart cars since 2009 and got our last one set up with a Roadmaster tow bar, wired in lights, electric cut off, everything! I used it twice. That thing takes 3 times as long to hook up and unhook then there is the steering wheel wobble! No thanks. I have never had brakes, I guess that is up to you. I forget the name of my dolly but will put it on here after while. In all these years I have had to unhook it once in a campground.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had one with no brakes (cheapy) get some sort of brakes! Enough said about that from a green RV rookie who didn't know better when the bought it. Nylon straps with stretch as they age with use. Drive a few miles and re-tighten. Pulling an empty dolly is quite a show on a bumpy road. Center pivot will continue to pivot until something stops it. In our case it was the Toyota that was off center on the ramps (another no-no)
When you get to your destination. Figure out where to put the dolly before you pull into your site. Slide the tongue under the rig if there is enough room for the center plate and axel behind the rig that doesn't block the road worked for us.
We figured out that we should buy a Jeep or another auto that can be flat towed would cost more, but easier to deal with in the long run.
Have fun no matter what!
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
I was in the automobile business for just shy of 30 years, and used a tow dolly on a daily basis. Early on I bought a Demco (Dethmers Mfg. Co.) with surge brakes. One of the best investments I ever made. All galvanized construction (other than the plastic fenders). Built like a fortress and never, NEVER an issue over all the years I owned it (other than tire replacements, of course). They're not cheap, but you will not find a better product. And, when and if you get ready to sell it, buyers will line up for it, because everyone appreciates quality.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress