cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aqua Hot not igniting on Monaco Dynasty

mexicanpiloto13
Explorer III
Explorer III
I performwd annual maintenance on the aqua hot system on our 1998 Monaco dynasty, replaced the nozzle, fuel filter, cleaned everything, adjusted the ignitors and put it all back together and tested it and it lit fine and went through the whole cycle correctly. We did not use the RV for a couple months and on our 1st trip, aqua hot will not ignite. it goes on but I don't hear that pop when it ignites after about 8 seconds and I'm wondering what gives. I read somewhere that you're supposed to use it every month but I can't believe a new nozzle clogged up after just one test firing. any thoughts?
5 REPLIES 5

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
odds are you had a air bubble in the fuel line between the Filter and the Unit. It does not take long for a unit to cycle off on Diesel. It probably ran just long enough to use the fuel between the Filter and the Aqua Hot. Then setting a month, caused the air bubble to block off fuel. I was going to post previously. I was going to ask if you had a strong smell of Diesel by the exhaust OR you had Diesel dripping out the down pipe elbow for the exhaust. THAT would indicate fuel IS getting to the unit, but the spark is NOT happening. When it failed to start, IT DID time out and the webasto shut down after a few minutes? It should have. I usually have to run a flooded unit up to 1 hour to get rid of ALL accumulated residual diesel to get rid of all white smoke. And NO, the fuel nozzle should not have a problem from a month of inactivity. ALL Aqua Hots, need to be run monthly on Diesel and activate the furnace section also. This keeps the furnace section check valves from sticking. THIS is a usual cause when the Aqua Hot Furnace section is not used for a long time. Doug

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
White smoke is a result of accumlated fuel during the non start times, maybe not a fuel issue. It will likely happen again. Suggest tighten/clean all wiring connections and it could be a component failure. Intermittent failures can be hard to isolate.

White smoke can also be due to a worn nozzle, not your issue as it cleared.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

mexicanpiloto13
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thank you always for the helpful input on the forom. that I really appreciate all the smart posters out there regarding the aqua hot that would not ignite. I kept turning it on yesterday about 5 times, and each time it didn't ignite, I would turn it off. finally at the end of the day it popped on with a big cloud of white smoke And it continued very smoky for about 4 or 5 minutes and then cleared up. since then I have successfully turned it on each time I'm not sure why all of a sudden it started to work maybe, there was air in the fuel line but it's working great now.
Many thanks. Hope it saves me a service call.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It could be a air leak with the new fuel filter gasket or a loose wire connection.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I have had 2 different Aquahot units with the same issue. One was very intermittent. What I found was the control thermostat sensor would build up a little resistance and keep the unit from firing. Every time I replaced it . . . problem gone. Page 22 below

Aqua Hot Manual
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie