cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram Reduces Max Tow Ratings

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like Ram cut it's max tow ratings and hoped no one noticed.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
59 REPLIES 59

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
blt2ski wrote:
Scooby,
Some stars have chosen to not update to most recent FBL regs. Louisiana is another. On member used to pull thru multiple states to west going east at 120k lbs. Hit Louisiana, promptly get a $360 overweight ticket. Pull out company CC, then had a ility to drive the 15-20 miles to dock. Return to Az or NM for another load next week. The ticket was cheaper than separating the dual trailers with two tractors.
Many more readers on here are realizing, that being over the manufactures ratings are not a death sentence. Weight ratings? are based on engineers design rating for the roads, not the manufactures warranty ratings.

Marty

Ratings? I think here you mean legal limits. And I don't think all legal limits are based on "design rating" for the roads. There is many places where a imaginary line changes the weight limit, and not always state lines. Once I was stopped, after weighing my truck, LEO told me "Scooby Doo, you know better than this. If you had come out (Named 4 roads that date back at least to the '40s, that I normally used) you would be so close would not get a ticket. But because you used I70 you are 29,900 lbs overweight.
Another US highway in the state allows 5500 lbs more gross weight, if hauling hogs, compared to anything else.

But if a weight watcher stops you, the 1 rating they will look at is on the sidewall of tire. The issue, IMHO, of the manufactures reducing ratings after the truck is sold ends when warranty runs out. Manufacturer can call loading above ratings abuse, and deny coverage if repair is needed

blt2ski
Scooby,
Some stars have chosen to not update to most recent FBL regs. Louisiana is another. On member used to pull thru multiple states to west going east at 120k lbs. Hit Louisiana, promptly get a $360 overweight ticket. Pull out company CC, then had a ility to drive the 15-20 miles to dock. Return to Az or NM for another load next week. The ticket was cheaper than separating the dual trailers with two tractors.
Many more readers on here are realizing, that being over the manufactures ratings are not a death sentence. Weight ratings are based on engineers design rating for the roads, not the manufactures warranty ratings.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

The last part of your statement always makes me chuckle. This forum is Chuck full of Chuckleheads always adding or buying some gadget or device under the auspices of safety or driving experience. And those same folks have surely passed a bunch of RV haulers, just like the rest of us have. And the one thing Iโ€™ve NEVER seen on a bp trailer haulers hitch is a wdh. Never.

If it was a law or necessary Iโ€™d think that the guys who tow all sorts of trailers day in day out would certainly have them.

Few years back, I was waiting for wife, and couple hot-shot drivers where waiting to unload. We where sharing shade-tree, so I could hear them witching. Apparently 1 of their regular customers was wanting longer load decks (45ft IIRC), and the first trip thru Iowa the driver had been ticketed for over length.* I had to laugh, because I battled with Iowa over length back in late '70s. I guess Iowa has/had a exemption to their law that allowed tractor/semi trailer combinations that does not apply to truck combinations.
*Shortly after the conversation I posted about it, wondering if RVers had any issue in that state, but I guess the idea was too political for the gods.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flashman wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
^^^ I think the BC law pertaining to pickup trucks pulling rvs is: If a police officer sees that a pickup is obviously overloaded he can have the overloaded truck weighed and ticketed based on the GVWR of the truck. But, Iโ€™d be very surprised if a BC cop would ever ticket a new 2500 series diesel pickup, leveled with air bags, towing an 18000 lb fiver.

Pretty vague. If the BC cop can just "see" it's overloaded and decide to have you weighed. What if the cop was a Ford hater and missed his morning donut?

My question is LEO thinks vehicle is fat, stops and weighs it, and all is good, what happens?

In Mo, if the weight watcher sees a rig that is likely over the weight licensed he can stop and weigh it. I was in court one day, (For my overload) watched several guys forced to pay because of heavy boat/pickup rigs. But the only rating LEO will worry about is tires and if CDL is needed.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Me Again wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
This could be an issue for some who feel it necessary to stay within the manufacturers maximum tow ratings. For others of us it really doesnโ€™t make an iota bit of difference what the manufacturerโ€™s tow rating isโ€ฆ. If we feel comfortable towing 5,000 lbs over the tow limit weโ€™re probably going to tow 5,000 lbs over the manufacturerโ€™s tow limit โ€ฆ. putting a different sticker on the door pillar isnโ€™t going to change the way the truck behaves.

Except for BC, which somehow enforces weight limits that other areas do not concern themselves with. In my home state of Washington one can purchase tonnage that exceeds that stickers in the door jam. No one with a pickup is going to exceed the Federal Bridge Weight laws that are enforced at weigh stations. Hot shot haulers tend to laugh at the internet weight police.

The last part of your statement always makes me chuckle. This forum is Chuck full of Chuckleheads always adding or buying some gadget or device under the auspices of safety or driving experience. And those same folks have surely passed a bunch of RV haulers, just like the rest of us have. And the one thing Iโ€™ve NEVER seen on a bp trailer haulers hitch is a wdh. Never.

If it was a law or necessary Iโ€™d think that the guys who tow all sorts of trailers day in day out would certainly have them.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Flashman wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
^^^ I think the BC law pertaining to pickup trucks pulling rvs is: If a police officer sees that a pickup is obviously overloaded he can have the overloaded truck weighed and ticketed based on the GVWR of the truck. But, Iโ€™d be very surprised if a BC cop would ever ticket a new 2500 series diesel pickup, leveled with air bags, towing an 18000 lb fiver.

Pretty vague. If the BC cop can just "see" it's overloaded and decide to have you weighed. What if the cop was a Ford hater and missed his morning donut?

Then heโ€™d wave me right on by since I donโ€™t drive them things (unless itโ€™s a company truckโ€ฆ.so thatโ€™s not my problem either!). Lol.

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
This could be an issue for some who feel it necessary to stay within the manufacturers maximum tow ratings. For others of us it really doesnโ€™t make an iota bit of difference what the manufacturerโ€™s tow rating isโ€ฆ. If we feel comfortable towing 5,000 lbs over the tow limit weโ€™re probably going to tow 5,000 lbs over the manufacturerโ€™s tow limit โ€ฆ. putting a different sticker on the door pillar isnโ€™t going to change the way the truck behaves.

Except for BC, which somehow enforces weight limits that other areas do not concern themselves with. In my home state of Washington one can purchase tonnage that exceeds that stickers in the door jam. No one with a pickup is going to exceed the Federal Bridge Weight laws that are enforced at weigh stations. Hot shot haulers tend to laugh at the internet weight police.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hope yโ€™all emerge from cabin fever soonโ€ฆ.cause ya got it bad, to get 5 pages into this goofy nonsense.

wjlapier
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy/GMC to follow?
2019 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ DRW
2023 Host Everest

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Looks like Ford is guilty of towing gate as well.

Link

Thanks FISH for the truth in lending post!!!

All discussion for last 3 days started when I posted about watching this video

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Looks like Ford is guilty of towing gate as well.

Link

Thanks FISH for the truth in lending post!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD