cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tough Week

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
In 2019, Lucky our Shepard/rott mix was diagnosed with degenerative myelopathy. He hung in there for three years. At first it was just dragging his hind leg toe nails and having weakness in his rear legs. On Jan the 20th this year, it progressed into no appetite just copious amounts of water. He went into the final stages of the disease this past weekend. We made the decision to have him euthanized this past Monday. However he crossed over on his own with my wife and I by his side before we left for the vets.
I know I am not alone in the grief of losing a companion for 15.5 years being by my side. I know now first hand what a lot of you have already gone thru. It is tough.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023
9 REPLIES 9

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
They leave such giant holes in our hearts when they leave - so sorry for the loss of your companion
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
We understand. There are seven empty places in our hearts. When we get another, that empty place remains but the new fuzzy makes it a little softer.
Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I am so sorry for your loss. We never totally get over it but it's so nice that it happened in the comfort of home.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sorry about your loss truly. It's double tough. They're loyal and never ask for much.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had my Jack Russel for 1 month less than 18 years. Other than 154 stitches from a Pitt Bull attack he was never sick. Had a heart attack and was gone in an instant. That was 7 years ago and we still miss him. His picture hangs here in the house and also in the DP so he is still with us. I am sorry for your loss, its hard.

dturm
So sorry for your loss. I have seen a few of these in my practice and my brother had a GSD that eventually died from degenerative myelopathy. It's difficult watching knowing that there is nothing that can be done other than giving love and support. I guess the only "blessing" is that there is usually no pain involved in the degeneration.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for your loss. I understand your pain. We just lost our 14 year old springer last Saturday. He was diabetic, blind, lost mobility in his rear end and had been in slow renal failure for about a year. It's one of the hardest things we all have to face. [[hugs]]

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
So sorry for your loss, but so happy that your companion knew unconditional love and care all his life.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Your story mirrors what we went through with our previous GSD several years ago. I understand. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L