cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's cooking this weekend?

dedmiston
I stopped at Smart & Final on the way home from work last night and picked up twenty pounds of pork butts to smoke, five pounds of chicken breasts, dozens of tortillas, and a few cases of beer. I still need to go back out and get the rest of the ingredients for tacos plus all the stuff to make the smoked queso dip.

Saturday is going to be a big taco feed at our place.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
12 REPLIES 12

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Horsedoc wrote:
Found a local volunteer fire department doing a fundraiser with chicken mull. Most of you guys have never heard of it. I think it is chicken stew with saltines. I know most firefighters can cook so we are looking forward to experiencing this tonight. Bringing my Tennessee Sunshine hot sauce in case it needs improvement.
Desert included they say. We'll see.

It's a good d.o. camping recipe, short for chicken mulligan stew. Here's one recipe Chicken Mull
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Found a local volunteer fire department doing a fundraiser with chicken mull. Most of you guys have never heard of it. I think it is chicken stew with saltines. I know most firefighters can cook so we are looking forward to experiencing this tonight. Bringing my Tennessee Sunshine hot sauce in case it needs improvement.
Desert included they say. We'll see.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

dedmiston
Wow propchef. When I hear "Ramen" I think back to the college and the days of eating that gross salty packing foam that we all lived on.

Yours looks amazing. Good job.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice! Looks delicious!

Yea, bone-in pork butt is great but very dense and takes FOREVER to cook. Usually, if you get it up to 190-200 you can pull the keel bone out without too much trouble. I prefer cooking them bone-in.

Tonight it's leftover Ramen for us. We had SO much left over from our visit to a local shop.

EDIT: Fixed the width of the HUGE photos. :B

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like a Five Star meal right there! Great job!!!!!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

dedmiston
I got busy and never followed up with photos.

The feast turned out fantastic. We were celebrating my wife's birthday and had a great turnout. It wasn't a surprise party, but our kids surprised her and came to town the day before.

I made the two huge pork butts plus five pounds of chicken (some of our guests don't eat pork) as well as "the queso" that was so trendy a few years back.

The food turned out great and the event was a huge hit. And most importantly, my wife was queen for the day (more like a week) and hasn't stopped thanking us all.

As far as the food goes, I made one small mistake when I was shopping and I accidentally got the boneless butts. Who's to say whether they cook better with or without the bone, but carving the bone out kind of messes up the integrity of the large cut of pork. On the plus side though, I was smart enough to cook all the meat the day before and not sweat whether it would be done in time or not. This turned out to be a good move, because the pork took fourteen hours to finish and we would have been calling Dominos if the guests were standing around watching me watch the smoker. Cooking large cuts like that can't be rushed and there's practically no telling when the meat will be done.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:

Just follow your nose. I'll smoke the butts tomorrow, so you should be able to smell the pork from miles away.

We'll be able to smell those butts for miles.:B If you have fresh gagh and Klingon blood pie my inlaws will swarm your ship.

Sounds like a fantastic feast. Special occasion?

Magnus

dedmiston wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
Darnโ€ฆโ€ฆ. When should I be there, and where::BB:B should I go? ๐Ÿ™‚

Just follow your nose. I'll smoke the butts tomorrow, so you should be able to smell the pork from miles away.

Hopefully ill smell them here in PA !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MFL wrote:
^Hey Joe...just fly out to southern Ca, have Ron pick you up. He's not too far away, and likely going to Dave's food fest anyway.

I can't make it, due to short notice, and other commitments.

Have a fun weekend Dave!

Jerry

I will not be too far next weekend, ill be in Phoenix Friday-Monday .. but Iโ€™ve got a pretty busy schedule next weekend
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

dedmiston
ford truck guy wrote:
Darnโ€ฆโ€ฆ. When should I be there, and where should I go? ๐Ÿ™‚

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^Hey Joe...just fly out to southern Ca, have Ron pick you up. He's not too far away, and likely going to Dave's food fest anyway.

I can't make it, due to short notice, and other commitments.

Have a fun weekend Dave!

Jerry

dedmiston wrote:
I stopped at Smart & Final on the way home from work last night and picked up twenty pounds of pork butts to smoke, five pounds of chicken breasts, dozens of tortillas, and a few cases of beer. I still need to go back out and get the rest of the ingredients for tacos plus all the stuff to make the smoked queso dip.

Saturday is going to be a big taco feed at our place.

Darnโ€ฆโ€ฆ. When should I be there, and where should I go? ๐Ÿ™‚
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7