cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F450 Lariat Ultimate package?

NorseNW
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize for all the questions but just trying to get this a decision as close to correct as possible. After searching around for insurance on an F550 with a flatbed it appears it will be $50 more a month than on a noncommercial truck. So at $600 per year I'm not sure that's the route I will end up going. I placed an order for a 2023 F550 but it hasn't started production and the dealer only wanted $500 to make the order. I'm guessing he may have some grace if I'm still buying a F450 but we shall see.

My question is to you F450 owners. In doing an online build tonight I noticed if I selected a removable tailgate option it eliminated the Lariat Ultimate Package. I know sometimes the online stuff is just screwy but curious if anyone of you have the Lariat Ultimate package and can still remove the tailgate to put the camper in?

Thank you
6 REPLIES 6

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This is a weird thread…..
$50 insurance vs a Trim package…..and we wonder why folks have trouble figuring this stuff out.
My recommendation would be to ask a truck dealer instead of the online Build a Bear thing and then try to keep your comparisons apples to apples. That would be my advice for making the correct decision or however you put it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2019 F450 was a capable platform, but the aluminum bed is a weak spot. Not a show stopper but if your planning on a heavy camper, that bed will show a few bent or sagging spots if you ever drive on crappy roads with lots of transitions.

I loved my F450 as a stable well mannered hauler. Now that I have a Ram 5500, its very stable and carries the load even better.

Both had stiff tires and suspension that would let you know every big bump you hit.

I pay quite a bit more for the 5500 insurance. My F450 was weighing 15600 at the last weight. Full water and loaded for travel. Well over legal. My 5500 weighed 16700. 2800 lbs below payload.

The bed is longer and supports more of the camper. Lots more storage both below and above the bed is possible. That alone makes it a very positive choice for me.

Now add new suspension and its even better.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
My F450 is a 2010, but it is a Lariat. I'm not sure what removable tailgate means, but my tailgate with step is very heavy compared to one with out. If I remember right it weighs about 100 lbs compared to a nonstop that is about 60 lbs. It also has a camera builtin. It's fairly hard to remove/install due to the weight, but still removable. It would be hard for me to believe that the Ford will build a tailgate that can't be removed, but who knows. I'd ask the dealer about that feature.

As far as F450 pickup vs F550 chassis goes, we wanted a truck that looked more conventional at the time without a flatbed. The spring pack and frame are quite a lot different between the chassis cab and pickup with the chassis cabs having a straight frame. All of the chassis cabs have more capacity the last time I looked. You may find that even the F350 Chassis has as much capacity as a F450 pickup.

We have a 9 1/2 ft heavy camper. If you go larger, maybe you really need a F450 chassis or F550 chassis.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Reality Check wrote:
Don't have a clue about the package and ordering, but I'm assuming you do realize that the 450 pickup and the 450/550 chassis class our not remotely close to being similar?

Another thought; $50 a month? Hard to believe that the deciding factor...more to the story I'm guessing.

I agree. If I were dropping 100K+ on a truck, then $50 more per month would be relatively insignificant.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Didn’t know they made ‘em with non-removable tailgates…
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't have a clue about the package and ordering, but I'm assuming you do realize that the 450 pickup and the 450/550 chassis class our not remotely close to being similar?

Another thought; $50 a month? Hard to believe that the deciding factor...more to the story I'm guessing.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!