cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Used 6-point levelers to change a flat

dedmiston
I tried a few times years ago to jack up one side of the fiver with the Lippert 6-point leveler jacks, but they just wouldn't raise one side off the ground on a level-ish surface. The last time I had a flat I used my old Boy Scout trick of loosening the lugs and then moving the trailer forward to get the bad wheel over a hole in the ground to change it.

Last Friday I had a blowout and we were on pavement with no dirt nearby (no way to find a hole or dig my own). I had an inspiration though, and I'm kicking myself for not trying this sooner.

I just put a stack of yellow leveling blocks over each of the jacks and raised the entire trailer off the ground after I loosened the lugs.

The whole thing was done in under a half hour and my wife was dazzled: "Wow - New Personal Best". It made it a million times easier to get to the spare too.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
14 REPLIES 14

dedmiston
Looks like a great spot to ride.

It's funny how you get familiar with your "usual" spots. I don't think I've ever ridden much in the trees except for the desert joshua trees. I'm used to having lots of obstacles on the ground, but I'd be nervous with so many trees at handlebar height.

I finally gave up the bike a few years ago. We still have the bikes so our kids have something to ride when they visit, but I got tired of wiping out. My doctor told me after my last bad crash that in addition to the broken ribs I had injuries he'd never seen before. "I've never seen this before, but you actually sprained a bunch of vital organs. I've never seen a sprained kidney, liver, or spleen before, but you managed to do it." (The liver may have been preexisting damage.)

My wife was a demon on her bike and she still misses it, but I love riding together in the SxS and being able to talk to her and the rest of the group on the radios. We were the last ones in our group to transition to SxS and I had no idea how much radio chatter we were missing out on. It quickly changed from a pretty solitary activity to a very social one.

If you ever get another offer to head to the desert, don't turn it down. There's a lot to see and do in the deserts. It's a totally different season too. You could be riding right now if you wanted to. :B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for the video and pics! Looks like you had a great time! Nice pic of the dogs too! While reluctant to leave, they looked to be enjoying the comfortable seat, and snooze to follow. My little best friend was always first in the truck, when heading to camp, and heading home! I've never been off-roading in the desert. I had a chance to about 10 years ago, with a couple wild guys that enjoyed chasing illegals in the southwest, but declined, not sure why??

My favorite type riding is in 6-8K altitude mountains, often single track, with tight trees, and low level creek crossing. Here is a pic, summer pre-covid, as I've not done much off-road the last couple years.

Just rehydrating while level enough for buddy and I to park bikes. Heading up behind me from there.

dedmiston
Lunch break:

Dog is depressed when she saw me packing up:

Dogs are completely partied out and ready to sleep on the drive home:

The winds were insane on Sunday, plus there was a forecast for snow. I wanted to high-tail it and beat the snow, but I also didn't want to drive slow on the highway. I took surface streets home and saw a lot of places I'd never seen before.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
MFL wrote:
The lack of tire info response from Dave, indicates to me, that he does not want to turn his using levelers to change a tire thread, into a thread about tire opinions. I should not have asked my above tire questions, taking away from intended thread subject.

Hey Jerry - Yes, tire fights bore me.

It's funny to see how many people assumed that all six of my tires are the same. The blown tire wasn't a Goodyear though.

MFL wrote:
I still would like to see a cool offroad pic though! ๐Ÿ™‚

I didn't take many pictures this weekend, but my wife shot a short video of a narrow climb up a canyon. We usually ride down the canyon instead of up. It's more scenic that way for some reason, plus it's more fun when the narrow canyon is at the end instead of the beginning.

I love it though, because the trail appears to just die into a rock wall until you get closer and can see that it's barely wide enough to get through/over it. The first time I discovered that canyon I just about had a heart attack at the end, but we made it through and the rest of the group followed. It's been a favorite ever since.

The name of the canyon is Goler Wash, but my wife dubbed it Radiator Springs the first time we rode it and the name just stuck.

https://youtu.be/H2JtIBRcwpQ

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The lack of tire info response from Dave, indicates to me, that he does not want to turn his using levelers to change a tire thread, into a thread about tire opinions. I should not have asked my above tire questions, taking away from intended thread subject.

I still would like to see a cool offroad pic though! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hope you take the tire to a GY "OWNED" store and have them send it to GY to analyze the tire. I am willing to bet road hazard, very common for front tire to kick up object and next tire taking a hit. The GY ENDURANCE simply has no record of failing from non road hazard issue.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
And that's a GoodYear tire!

You can read that sidewall?

Goodyear Endurance ,how old ? They appear to have plenty of tread left .

Last time I replaced the tires on my fifth wheel , I manually raised the six point jacks, and lifted all four ,and took them to the tire shop for replacement , so far I have never had it out of stroke .

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
dedmiston wrote:
I tried a few times years ago to jack up one side of the fiver with the Lippert 6-point leveler jacks, but they just wouldn't raise one side off the ground on a level-ish surface. The last time I had a flat I used my old Boy Scout trick of loosening the lugs and then moving the trailer forward to get the bad wheel over a hole in the ground to change it.

Last Friday I had a blowout and we were on pavement with no dirt nearby (no way to find a hole or dig my own). I had an inspiration though, and I'm kicking myself for not trying this sooner.

I just put a stack of yellow leveling blocks over each of the jacks and raised the entire trailer off the ground after I loosened the lugs.

The whole thing was done in under a half hour and my wife was dazzled: "Wow - New Personal Best". It made it a million times easier to get to the spare too.

when I do it I just put the stacks under the side i want to lift then put the off side down so they just touch the ground and manualy lift the flat side. might work different with a 4 point over a 6 point though I am not sure.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, you can clearly read GY on the front tire. Looking at the tread design, it appears to me, to be an Endurance. I would be curious if this is correct, and what tire dating, and also what tires were inflated to for your trip. Unlikely to know cause of death, with that mess?

Great that your new motor worked well, providing enough hydraulic pressure to lift that heavy toy hauler.

While your PSA, with picture, will help others with tire issues, I was hoping you'd post a camp pic, or scenic pic, taken out riding. I am a shut-in, that woke up this morning to -20F. At least 3 months wait before turning FW tires.

Jerry

dedmiston
azdryheat wrote:

You can read that sidewall?

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer

I'm on my 2nd set of Michelin XPS RIB tires on my triple axle. They're commercial grade truck tires. No tire issues in 11 years.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

dedmiston
ford truck guy wrote:
Darn, youu shredded that tire.. looks like NO RV damage as well ! ! Well done..

Yeah. We got lucky. If it had been the other side the trip would have been over because that's where the hydraulic lines are so exposed.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have the hydraulic jacks, it's a no-brainer. But, FWIW, the electric jacks generally have a lower weight rating, and some will not raise the tires off the ground.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Darn, youu shredded that tire.. looks like NO RV damage as well ! ! Well done..

As far as jacking, that is what I have been doing for all maintenance.. I carry 6" square blocks of wood x 10" long to use under jacks IF the spot is really out of level so I do not get an " OUT OF STROKE " message . .
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet