cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1" to 3/8" thread adapter?

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
I want to mount my cell booster antenna to a rotating mount on my ladder. The antenna has spring at the end with a male 3/8 x 24 thread. The antenna mount has a male 1" x 14 thread. I've browsed the web some for a female-to-female adapter that would solve my problem, but no luck. Maybe there is someone here with more mechanical knowledge than me that has a suggestion? ๐Ÿ™‚
Thanks,
Ralph
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram
15 REPLIES 15

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thans for posting the solution.

Another antenna solution is the use of a flag pole buddy type of mount for the antenna which allows the antenna to be raised/lowered while standing on the ground which eliminates any ladder climbing. I made my own from PVC pipe. The antenna can also be rotated manually from the ground.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Got the custom adapter from the machine shop to go from 1" to 3/8". Photo below is the full setup before it's mounted on the ladder rail. With my shaky hands I need another person to help. The lever arm is horizontal to lock the antenna rotation and vertical to allow antenna to be raised or lowered. Just hope I remember to lower it when investigating boondocking spots in trees. ๐Ÿ™‚

BTW, I used the term "pipe cap" previously not knowing a real one uses a tapered thread. The threads in both cases here are "standard".

Ralph
Instagram

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So itโ€™s NPT for the big side? What about the 3/8 thread?
If itโ€™s NPT then you could just bush it down.
That pipe cap will only get maybe 2 or 3 full threads due to the thickness of material. Is that enough to hold it?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the additional tips. I got a 1" pipe cap and took it to the machine shop yesterday. He will drill and tap the 3/8 hole. I'll post a pic of the complete antenna mount after I get the cap from the shop.
Ralph
Instagram

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
You've probably already thought of this, but you might be able to put together a "daisy chain" of reducing bushings. This is an example of one, but the price looks to be very high:

Bushing
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Docsource has the best idea, weld up something. 1"-14 is the axle thread on your trailer. Get a castellated axle nut, weld a 3/8 fender washer or two or a real thick washer you can find at the hardware store in the drawers of specialty hardware. Get a 3/8-24 self locking nut and put inside the big nut to secure the antenna.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have your friendly neighborhood welder weld a flat washer to one side of a 3/8 nut then weld that to one side of the 1" nut. Used a fender 3/8 fender washer if needed. Might work.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I donโ€™t think weโ€™re talking NPT threads here. Prolly NC or NF.
You canโ€™t get a suitable mount for the antenna?
Reason for the huge diameter on the booster?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the additional info. I'll post a pic of my solution in a couple of weeks. ๐Ÿ™‚
Ralph
Instagram

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ramblin' Ralph wrote:
I want to mount my cell booster antenna to a rotating mount on my ladder. The antenna has spring at the end with a male 3/8 x 24 thread. The antenna mount has a male 1" x 14 thread. I've browsed the web some for a female-to-female adapter that would solve my problem, but no luck. Maybe there is someone here with more mechanical knowledge than me that has a suggestion? ๐Ÿ™‚
Thanks,
Ralph

you will mostlikely have to go from 1" to 3/8th in two steps, a 1" to either 3/4" or a 1" to 1/2" if you can find it. then a step down from which ever size you ended up at to 3/8"

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
How about https://www.mcmaster.com

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
As I recall. you can jam a 3/8-24 bolt into a 1/8" brass pipe fitting. Also 3/4" pipe is around 1 1/16" OD and around 14 threads per inch. I would go to a good hardware store and get a 3/4" - 1/8" bell reducer and give it a try.

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
BarryG20 wrote:
Option B go to a machine shop and have them make one for you.

That's what I'm going to do. I found I can buy a 1" pipe "cap" in stainless or brass. Since my old hands are too shaky to DIY, I'll take it to a local machine shop to drill/thread the 3/8 hole. Thanks to both for the input.
Ralph
Ralph
Instagram

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
DIY, drill and tap? Use a 3/8" FF adapter then MF adapter?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob