Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Verizon Grandfathered Unlimited Plan

RFOneWatt
Explorer
Explorer
Good Day!

I've been a RV.NET member for many, many years but haven't visited in a while because...LIFE.

Anyways, several years ago there was a demand for the grandfathered unlimited, unthrottled Verizon plans for Internet access.

Are people still looking for these plans? Is there something better for rural areas these days, or?

Thanks for your time!

-RF
Want a free and easy way to share files between all of your computers & mobile devices? (Android,IPhone,Ipad,Mac, etc.) Install this now and thank me later! ๐Ÿ™‚ http://bit.ly/eL1KjV
24 REPLIES 24

RFOneWatt
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Wizard was my favorite show as a kid.:)

Agreed -- torrents are BAD.

BTW, storage is cheap now-a-days.
Want a free and easy way to share files between all of your computers & mobile devices? (Android,IPhone,Ipad,Mac, etc.) Install this now and thank me later! ๐Ÿ™‚ http://bit.ly/eL1KjV

MrWizard
1 terrabyte = 1024 gigabytes
1 GB = 1024 Megabytes

1 TB = 1,048,576 MB

Broadcast HDTV 720p or 1080i transport stream avgerages 6GB File per Hr of Video when I recorded "Lucifer" or "Grimm" or "Lethal Weapon",

Expand that to 4k video and file streams are exponentially larger
I don't have a 4k tv
And my equipment doesnt record in 4k
Fyi i don't upload torrents and video,
What i record from Broadcast or streaming is personal use, just like my vcr days, when i taped every episode of every star trek series including Original, during syndication reruns, "Deep Space Nine" being my favorite series

1st episode of "Halo" streamed and recorded from Paramount+ 30 minutes runtime 720p, 2.4gb mp4 video file ,thats 4.8gb per hr,
Streaming services use more data compression, than OTA broadcasting,
One reason being software related and two way communication , the receiving device can request any dropped data blocks, it can also be updated when the service introduces new more efficient data streams

Oops sorry i get long winded on some topics
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

RFOneWatt
Explorer
Explorer
pbeverly wrote:
Limited upload speeds also limit illegal content sharing.

That depends on how dedicated you are when it comes to sharing media. ๐Ÿ˜‰

We used to uncap our cable modems back in the day to get unlimited bandwidth, both up and down.

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
Limited upload speeds also limit illegal content sharing.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

RFOneWatt
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
It is interesting to measure speeds. The local company that I'm connected to via wifi has a download speed of 300 mbps. However, they limit upload to only 10. A swindle, I'd say.

The majority of consumer internet is engineered to provide an abundance of bandwidth for download while limiting upload, simply because that's what the majority of people require.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor has Starlink. He works from home and says it hasnโ€™t skipped a beat since installed last year.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Don't confuse network management with throttling. They are VERY different.

When you have a plan that "throttles" at a certain data usage, you then drop down to extremely slow speeds for the remainder of your current billing cycle.

When you use a plan that simply uses network management, your speeds will vary depending on the tower usage and can change by the minute, hour, day, etc.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
It is interesting to measure speeds. The local company that I'm connected to via wifi has a download speed of 300 mbps. However, they limit upload to only 10. A swindle, I'd say.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
RFOneWatt wrote:
Is there something better for rural areas these days, or?

Starlink.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
jcpainter wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
RFOneWatt wrote:
Thanks for the info guys.

I just called Verizon & the support guy informed me that they can be leased / rented out.

If anyone is interested, I have ONE extra Hotspot/SIM on the Grandfathered plan that I don't know what to do with.

But why would you bother when you can just get an unlimited plan directly?

These grandfathered plans were/are true unlimited high speed plans. Unlimited plans today offer XXX amount of true high speed data and then they are either network managed or the speed drops to very low, almost unusable levels. These SIMs also give unlimited data to Verizon hot spots. For anyone that needs lots of true high speed data, this is a fantastic plan.

I've exceeded the "high speed" and it was still quite usable including streaming. 8-10yrs ago, it was a big deal. Now, not so much and expect with starlink competition, the cell companies are going to have to fight for customers, so expect plans to get cheaper and you will see an increase in data before throttling.

Also, since throttling is something they do quietly if the system is overloaded, who says they aren't throttling these older plans. I've never received a notice and even after I know I'm well above when in rural areas (ie: unlikely for the system to be maxed out), speed tests often exceed the supposed throttling limits.

PS: the OP indicated using 1-2 TB...that's a massive amount of data far beyond typical usage. Your average RV'er playing on the internet and steaming 4-5 devices simultaneous for 6-8hrs per day isn't going to use that much.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RFOneWatt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, JC.

About seven years ago I moved cross country and was living in the middle of nowhere for six months while looking for a job.

When I did the math, if I had to pay for the data used while out there it would have been around 10k or more, per month.

I was using 1-2TB per month via the hotspot.

So, for the right person it's worth it.

I'm going to hold onto it so if anyone is interested, let me know.

Thanks again!

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
RFOneWatt wrote:

I just called Verizon & the support guy informed me that they can be leased / rented out.

If anyone is interested, I have ONE extra Hotspot/SIM on the Grandfathered plan that I don't know what to do with.

These grandfathered plans were/are true unlimited high speed plans. Unlimited plans today offer XXX amount of true high speed data and then they are either network managed or throttled where the speed drops to very low, almost unusable levels.

With network management, speeds drop when the towers are busy. That might be a few minutes, a few hours or some other time frame. These SIMs also give unlimited data to Verizon hot spots. For anyone that needs lots of true high speed data, this is a fantastic plan.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
RFOneWatt wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
RFOneWatt wrote:

Yes you can rent them to someone, but you cannot transfer ownership. If you decide to "rent" it, do NOT give the renter access to your account. Just let them pay you and you pay Verizon. I did this for several years.