cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter in Arizona...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not all of Arizona is desert. We live in Payson about 90 miles northeast of Phoenix at 5,000'. We had 2" of snow yesterday and awoke this morning to another 2" on top of that {our 6th decent snow event since November}. The temp at 0700 was 18 {feels like 10}.

Have been waiting for my indie RV mechanic to come out and make a couple of repairs {replace a leaking LP gauge on the main tank and repair/replace a leaking valve on the toilet} to our Class C out in the driveway but the weather is not cooperating. He can't work in these conditions and we can't use the coach until the repairs are completed. With no new precipitation in the forecast hopefully he will be able to get out later this week.

We were hoping to get back to Quartzite this year after a two years of Covid induced absence but that's not going happen anytime soon. Oh well, playing in the snow in our Rzr SXS is a hoot with miles of trails right out of our driveway.

We put out bird seed year round and while the birds do get some the local Grey tree squirrels get most of it. They provide endless entertainment with their antics which we thoroughly enjoy. Our daughter and SIL gave this upgraded feeder for Christmas and our fur buddies seem to like it:

:B
14 REPLIES 14

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Houston Mesa is a great CG that very few people know about. They are currently closed for serious maintenance/improvements but should reopen this spring. We lived in Payson for almost a year before stumbling on it while out for a motorcycle ride. Canyon Point has been one of our favorites for 10+ years but being at 7,700' it is only open from May through October {barring early or late snow}.

Woke to another inch yesterday and after 10 snow events {1 to 4"} this winter going back to November 3 {my brides birthday} we actually have a couple of cool ,clear, blue sky days but... are expecting 1- 3 inches Saturday night/Sunday and more in the forecast for late next week.

Compared to much of the rest of the country this doesn't sound like much but for central Arizona we are loving all of the much needed moisture. Should be an awesome spring as we are already seeing new buds on many of our plants and trees.

Our 40 year old Maple tree got it's first much needed trim/haircut last week. It is covered in buds and should leaf out by mid April:

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend who lives in Payson. We stayed at Houston Mesa campground when we were there in 2018.We stayed at Canyon Point on the way there. Payson has a nice dog park.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are from Wisconsin.
When I got up this morning at the Gilbert Ray Campground near Tucson, it was colder there than it was at home.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
We're already back in Co. but the SIL said it rained in Peoria last night and the puddles were frozen solid this AM.
I remember seeing 13* when I lived in the S-W Valley.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
As a kid I lived in South Tucson, late 1950s. In the winter we could go ski in the morning up on Mt Lemon and in the afternoon be in the pool. Even did that on Christmas once. Where I live now it may snow but not much if any. Its 75 today and since I don't ski any more I could care less if I never see any snow. Payson is nice--in the summer!

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winter just keeps on coming...

Woke this morning to 3" of fresh snow and the temperature hovering at 10 degrees. This is our 8th snow event so far. Had a couple of visitors yesterday, a pair of young bulls have been stopping by and this one even did his squirrel impersonation trying to raid the bird/squirrel feeder:

:S

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
We passed through your neighborhood yesterday, beautiful. Lots of snow! Weโ€™ve been through your area several times and itโ€™s such a treat driving 260 into Payson! Just awesome. But itโ€™s even better pulling into Mesa and it being in the 60โ€™s! :B We had a โ€œcooler than anticipatedโ€ trip but weโ€™re in the warmth and sun and weโ€™re happy.

Dan

slider45
Nomad
Nomad
That snow and fine weather are a wonderful combination!

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks one and all for the kind words. We moved up here 2.5 years ago from Tucson and have not looked back. Payson with a population of roughly 15,000 is a friendly little town {the joke is if you go more than 2 miles in any direction you aren't in Payson anymore} with some amazing weather and nearly unlimited opportunities for outdoor fun. Occasionally need to go down to the Phoenix area but it is only a 90 minute trip {in good weather}.

The forecast is calling for more snow Monday/Tuesday so am hoping my mechanic can get to us on Friday. The low temps are in the teens so most of the snow is still with us but it is gorgeous and with 4" not much work to deal with. Took a nice ride yesterday in our Honda Ridgeline {AWD}. This pic is on the road off of 260 that leads up to the fish hatchery {about 12 miles from home} fortunately we were following snowplow:

Once we return home it is time to fire up the wood burning stove and kick back with a beverage:

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Looks beautiful! We'll be coming through Payson in about a week and a half, on our way to Mesa. Looks like what we have here in Wisconsin! :B

Enjoy! BTW you live in an AWESOME area!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dan

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Just for comparison, this is a light year for us up here.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
This seems to be a Very popular year to visit Quartzite with no regard for high gas prices. It's the most RV's we have seen on BLM land and traffic in town is more than we have seen in several years of coming here for the big rv show. Hope you get the rv fixed soon.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Must be nice there at that alt. in the hot summer months!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I love N AZ. We used to go snomachining up around you. Mormon Lakes and Alpine? out east.
Be the only sled trailer heading out of Phx in the morning!
Neighbors thought they were jet skisโ€ฆ.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold