cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth Wheel toppers

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all I have a 40 ft fifth wheel 2020 with 4 slides any recommendations in toppers installed in Texas or Florida thanks
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
2020 Vanleigh Pinecrest 392MBP
B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ford Super Duty Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs
ITEM # BWRVK3305
19 REPLIES 19

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Short slide toppers are a one person installation. I installed one on my last RV

Longer slide topper awnings are definitely a two person project.

My slide was relatively shallow, so water pooling on it was never an issue. I can see how water could pool on the awning on a deep slide (like say 24" or deeper). Flapping in the wind would be pretty annoying too on a deep slide.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
They create as many issues as they resolve. Yes they create shade and reduce heat.
However they also pool water and flap in the wind.
I chose not to have toppers show I have not experienced the benefits first hand.
But I have witnessed pooling and flapping on nearby RV's many times.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
I am with the like toppers group, they make slides more water resistant. Ours were water tight before, but being full time in the PNW, lots of rain, wind and some snow and ice. Packed up on the 1st of February to move to a different park for hosting. The temp was about 30 degrees when the slides came in big chunk of ice fell off. It is times like that I really like our 40' 6/4 SOOW 50 amp cable! Just coils back into it's 3 gallon bucket!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

slider45
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
tourusa wrote:
Thanks yes we just had the Santa Barbara storm and Florida has some good rain so considering due to rain fall ingress or am I missing something thanks
Well, I wouldn't be without them, but if you're having issues with rain coming in past the slide wipers, I would fix that issue before doing anything.

My uncle is looking to get toppers as well but we fixed the rain leaks first. The previous owner removed the toppers due to mold build-up and leaks. Got to finish the installation of the headache rack, truck accessories, and led lights on the truck before we can work on the fifth wheel.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Definitely similar number and magnitude of advantages and disadvantages either way.
But to the original question. If you canโ€™t do it yourself, Iโ€™d imagine any camper shop will or can. And any other type of shop wonโ€™t or donโ€™t.
Looking for needle in a haystack to get a recommendation of โ€œaโ€ shop somewhere in the entire southwest.
Besides this is like a 1.5 out of 10 for difficulty. Not a huge risk of screwups.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
^^ Why?

Noisy, water pools on them, not home slides out and get some big wind they can tear (been there done that), raining breaking down camp with leaves and needles on topper they get rolled up and will mold unless you extend later at home and more.

never had that issue, sounds like the tension on them wasn't set right, mine hardly move in a big wind. . for the mold you can get some black staining but it washes off with a mild cleaner and doesnt cause any dammage, this almost makes me thing that there might be different types of materials being used.. in 30 years I have never had molding on my awning or slide toppers, but I have seen people with toppers that are more of a cloth material than the vinal (or what ever it is) maybe that is a factor.

I also put my slides back out as soon as I get home so we can unload and leave the rv set up in the front so we can load and go next time so that might be a factor also.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
tourusa wrote:
Thanks yes we just had the Santa Barbara storm and Florida has some good rain so considering due to rain fall ingress or am I missing something thanks
Well, I wouldn't be without them, but if you're having issues with rain coming in past the slide wipers, I would fix that issue before doing anything.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I have had them on some campers and some did not. I currently have them on all three slides because they do work nicely and really help keep debris off. Plus they help from the sun cooking the top of the slides a great deal. Wouldn't be without them.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
2020 Vanleigh Pinecrest 392MBP
B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ford Super Duty Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs
ITEM # BWRVK3305

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My advice live without them for a while then decide!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
opnspaces wrote:
^^ Why?

Noisy, water pools on them, not home slides out and get some big wind they can tear (been there done that), raining breaking down camp with leaves and needles on topper they get rolled up and will mold unless you extend later at home and more.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
^^ Why?
The normal reasons given are "they flap", "they collect water", "they get dirty".

The reasons for are "they help keep the trailer cool by keeping the sun off the slide tops", "they keep the snow and ice off the top of the slides" after you've brought in the slides with ice and snow on top, you'll see the value, "they keep pine cones, acorns, branches, etc from becoming squashed into the slide seals", "no longer any need to carry that leaf blower, broom, ladder, and other gear to clean the leaves and such off the top of the slide before bringing in the slide". Properly installed they will not flap except in very strong winds. To me, a non-issue.

Some people like 'em, some people don't.

I agree ,I wish I had them on my present fifth wheel, had them on my previous fifth wheel ordered the fifth wheel with them . Never an issue with them in nearly 12 years .

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:
^^ Why?
The normal reasons given are "they flap", "they collect water", "they get dirty".

The reasons for are "they help keep the trailer cool by keeping the sun off the slide tops", "they keep the snow and ice off the top of the slides" after you've brought in the slides with ice and snow on top, you'll see the value, "they keep pine cones, acorns, branches, etc from becoming squashed into the slide seals", "no longer any need to carry that leaf blower, broom, ladder, and other gear to clean the leaves and such off the top of the slide before bringing in the slide". Properly installed they will not flap except in very strong winds. To me, a non-issue.

Some people like 'em, some people don't.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have owned them on my last two trailers, NEVER be without them again. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"