cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

USA export controls on golf carts?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
We've acquired a golf cart to help getting around campgrounds and we're wondering if we can take it to Canada.

I know motor vehicles must be exported - so a Class A would be subject to export controls but a 5th wheel isn't.

I know our golf cart is motorized (36V electric motor), but does it qualify as a motor vehicle?

I could probably call up CBP and ask, but I'm wondering if anyone here has experience.
7 REPLIES 7

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:
Good to know. I'd hate to get to the Canadian border and get sent back to USA customs for export paperwork.

I know I have to pay the taxes but did you have to get an inspection or anything else?

You only have to pay the taxes if itโ€™s being โ€˜importedโ€™ to Canada. If you tell them itโ€™s a US possession and will be taking it back south they will likely tell you to go on through. If they balk you can insist on โ€˜bonding it throughโ€™ which means you pay the CDN Federal (only) tax on the way in and get it refunded on the way back out.

If they insist on that keep the paperwork and present it on subsequent crossings, they usually see youโ€™re not telling a tall tale and wave you through.

Iโ€™ve been doing this for years without a hassle.

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Joe; we were asked if we had paperwork for the cart, at the Canadian entry. We confirmed we did, expecting to be flagged in for a VIN verification, or worse. Asked what we paid for it, told the GST amount due wasn't worth the parking space, and to keep moving. This was during peak snowbird migration season on I 15/ Hwy 4. I guess they were busy in secondary, and didn't want the money, vs. the crowd already inside the building. YMMV
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good to know. I'd hate to get to the Canadian border and get sent back to USA customs for export paperwork.

I know I have to pay the taxes but did you have to get an inspection or anything else?

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
No Export paperwork when we brought one back. Still got hit by the Tax Man, though.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
No, you weren't clear about your nationality, and the specifics of this little cross border shopping adventure. Are you in Ottawa? Name now sounds familiar.
I would expect you'll have to pay GST at CBSA, and HST possibly at Service Ontario/MTO, just like any other item, in this case low speed vehicle, you purchase outside Canada, and want to bring home.
I would start with Transport Canada's website to determine whether or not you can bring the golf cart in legally, and under what restrictions. Just like any other importation of a vehicle from outside Canada. btw, travel trailers (and probably 5th wheels) must also be cleared as "importable" by TC. I brought one in from Michigan back in 2013, and had to get it cleared for import, and then inspected here, and approved, before it could be licensed in Ontario/Canada.
IIRC, the US side of things was handled by the RV dealership. If there were export controls forms required, they took care of them. Can you ask the golf cart seller about it? I don't recall stopping on the US side when we brought it through on the Bluewater Bridge. We did have to stop at CBSA secondary with some paperwork. Then home. Then Canadian Tire to get the inspection done, then MTO for registration.
As for golf carts, I'm less certain, and they may be considered a "low speed vehicle" under the Ontario pilot program guidelines, and will be regulated at the municipal level for legal usage.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/low-speed-vehicle-pilot-program
In hindsight, unless there's a pressing need to bring it home, can you leave it at your campground or with someone else down there? Might be the easier route, at day's end.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
A motorhome for personal purposes definitely has to be exported from USA - lotsa paperwork 3 days in advance of crossing the border.

Maybe I wasn't clear: I'm Canadian an want to take the golf cart to Canada for personal use (then bring it back next winter, or not).

If it makes any difference, the golf cart is not street legal.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Is this a commercial operation? If the motorhome and golf cart are for personal use, aka vacation travel, I don't think "export controls" apply.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)