cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Effect of no absorption on LiFePo4?

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a low end 100Ah LiFePo4 a couple of years ago. The manufacturer only listed charge and float voltages on their spec sheet. Later I asked them about absorption and they told me 14.4v. They also said it wasn't on the spec sheet because "it's not that frequently ask by our customer". ๐Ÿ™‚ I never got around to setting my solar controller for absorption. For 2 summers of extended summer travel the battery has performed very well and is only charged by my 225w solar system.

So what is the effect on the battery to not have absorption?

Thanks,
Ralph
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram
32 REPLIES 32

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
bdosborn wrote:
If I've posted something that isn't correct please feel free to correct it. I'd like to know if I'm spreading wrong information.

Not you, bud.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
Who is judging if the thread and questions are worthwhile to discuss?

And then posts this drivel...

Well I try to stay away from the unprovoked personal attacks, but I can understand your jealousy of me/my truck. Itโ€™s okโ€ฆas unprofessional as it might be on your part.

But Iโ€™m not sorry if itโ€™s just triggering you because it gets HORRIBLE gas mileage! Lol.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
3 tons wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
And we all gotta go through a little experience with something new before learning or knowing what to expect and how to deal with or maintain it.
My response above is for the RV power โ€œexpertsโ€ if you will, who canโ€™t seem to not go down rabbit holes.

Kindly sensing your frustration, consider (in the interest of a somewhat wider info-seeking audienceโ€ฆ) that one manโ€™s rabbit hole might very well be another manโ€™s โ€˜go toโ€™โ€ฆ

Admittedly, I sometimes provide the ugly details, but mostly to help dampen the โ€˜recurring, made-upโ€™ LFP mis-information from growing recurring legs (as has happened on LFP ad nauseam - a seasoned pattern of nuisance thread misdirects by interlopers) JMHOโ€ฆ

3 tons - Guilty as Charged

Iโ€™m with ya. And knowledge is power.
But at some point itโ€™s not just more good info with which to make a decision, but really just a try hard who canโ€™t seem to stop at an appropriate level to answer the question in the context it was asked.

Well, what person do we go to, to find out what โ€˜at some pointโ€™ is supposed to mean??
I suspect this elusive person is kinda hard to findโ€ฆ

3 tons

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Iternate1 said, โ€œThere have been many times in these LFP threads that I start to write a response then delete it. You seem to handle the misinfo well that gets posted.โ€

Well, know youโ€™re post have been invaluable so I hope you will continue to persevere, and by all means feel free to correct me where I stray - itโ€™s much appreciatedโ€ฆI think we just continue to confront the few (established profiled) LFP mis-info merchants and their faux โ€˜plausible interestโ€™ mischief - sadly, just part and parcel of an open forumโ€ฆ

Very Respectfully,

3 tons

bdosborn
Explorer
Explorer
If I've posted something that isn't correct please feel free to correct it. I'd like to know if I'm spreading wrong information.
2010 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
Custom Frame, Poptop, AC, Espar Diesel Furnace, HW Heater, Sink, Shower, 12V-120V, LED Lights, TV and XM Radio, DVD Player, 300W PV Panels, PD 9140 Charger, Tongue Box, Filon Exterior, 1000W Generator, Patient Wife
Boxcar Build

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
3 tons wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
And we all gotta go through a little experience with something new before learning or knowing what to expect and how to deal with or maintain it.
My response above is for the RV power โ€œexpertsโ€ if you will, who canโ€™t seem to not go down rabbit holes.

Kindly sensing your frustration, consider (in the interest of a somewhat wider info-seeking audienceโ€ฆ) that one manโ€™s rabbit hole might very well be another manโ€™s โ€˜go toโ€™โ€ฆ

Admittedly, I sometimes provide the ugly details, but mostly to help dampen the โ€˜recurring, made-upโ€™ LFP mis-information from growing recurring legs (as has happened on LFP ad nauseam - a seasoned pattern of nuisance thread misdirects by interlopers) JMHOโ€ฆ

Iโ€™m with ya. And knowledge is power.
But at some point itโ€™s not just more good info with which to make a decision, but really just a try hard who canโ€™t seem to stop at an appropriate level to answer the question in the context it was asked.

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

There have been many times in these LFP threads that I start to write a respone then delete it. You seem to handle the misinfo well that gets posted.

It just seems even with so much real life experience of almost 7 years living off of LFP/ solar and over 2,200+ partial cycles of 35-45% DOD equalling 175-225ah daily from a 500ah battery bank so many new folks or non user know more. More power to them. I'll stick to what's been working. ๐Ÿ˜‰
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
bdosborn wrote:
Some LiFePo4 batteries recommend an absorption stage, it gives the BMS cell balancer time to work. The voltage region that most BMS balancers work in is so high on the charge curve that actual balancing might only last a minute or two. Here's what Battleborn recommends:
https://battlebornbatteries.com/programming-a-victron-smartsolar-charge-controller/
Bruce

Thanks for the BattleBorn link.
I have 5 206ah SOK batteries, (not sure what SOK recommends) but it would be nearly impossible for me to hold absorption for 10 hours (via solar charging) for my 1030 ah of batteries. What I do is set absorption to 14.2 volts for 20 minutes. I also set equalization to a schedule of once every 30 days at 14.4 volts.
Before anyone tells me I am shortening the life of my LFPs, the batteries are not quite one year old and I am 75 years old, so I think the batteries will outlast me no matter how I charge them.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

tommyznr
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Good lordโ€ฆ add this to Dedmistonโ€™s list of things men will over analyze and pick to death!

You have LFP batteries. Make sure they are relatively or fully charged, make sure theyโ€™re disconnected or no draw and then donโ€™t think about them until you need them again

This needs to be a sticky on every LFP forum everywhere and also needs to be the first result for the Google.

I went down the rabbit hole two years ago and read so much conflicting information I had my undies in such a bundle that......... well you get the picture.

I now rest easy at night that my batteries will still be there in spring where I left them in fall.
Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Good lordโ€ฆ add this to Dedmistonโ€™s list of things men will over analyze and pick to death!

You have LFP batteries. Make sure they are relatively or fully charged, make sure theyโ€™re disconnected or no draw and then donโ€™t think about them until you need them again

Ha!! In actual practice so TRUE!!โ€ฆThanks for distilling this down itโ€™s most Critical Basics!! :B

3 tons

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III