cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C without a house battery bank???

Denbie1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about moving back to a class C. Found one 5 hours away. Its a 2015 Holiday Rambler Augusta 29A. The owner thinks that there is only a chasis battery on it, no house batteries. Anyone ever heard of that? Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Denbie1 wrote:
I called the seller back and was very persistent on it having house batteries. I saw online where it had "dual 6 volt deep cycle auxiliary batteries. He was getting somewhat ill with me on my insisting that it had more than one battery. (Chassis battery) In his defense, he's 78 years old, original owner and bought it new. I told him about the auxiliary starting switch on the dash. He said that he had used it once! I said "how do you think it started then since your house battery was dead?" That got him to thinking....he finally started searching more and found 2-6 volt batteries!! He sent me a picture of them. They were probably 8 years old, still working! Within the next hour, he had gone and bought new replacements. He thanked me and said he was thankful that I had been so persistent. He is such a nice gentleman. I intend on going to see it, hopefully this week. Thanks everyone!

I don't understand. Why do you want to argue with the seller (over the phone) about what he does/doesn't have when you should be negotiating in person! IMO, if you are truly interested, you MUST go and look at this vehicle in person. Make an offer. You may want to explain why it's CONSIDERABLY less than the asking price. Then stop talking. Either your offer will be accepted or countered. Go from there. Why give your adversary information which is clearly not to your benefit? Would you prefer to pay a fair price, or, the highest possible price the seller can get? (because of information YOU gave him)

Chum lee

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad it seems to be just an uninformed seller. I bought a C from a gentleman that had similar "limited knowledge" on RV things.....generator won't start and talked him down another $5000 due to that and 5 year old tires. Replaced the house battery when I got it home and purred like a kitten.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Denbie1, Good job!
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok that makes better sense.
When Iโ€™m 88 i probably wonโ€™t remember that i ever owned rvs.
Good luck have a safe trip.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thumbs up! Itโ€™s probably like new! I love buying grampa vehciles!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Denbie1
Explorer
Explorer
I called the seller back and was very persistent on it having house batteries. I saw online where it had "dual 6 volt deep cycle auxiliary batteries. He was getting somewhat ill with me on my insisting that it had more than one battery. (Chassis battery) In his defense, he's 78 years old, original owner and bought it new. I told him about the auxiliary starting switch on the dash. He said that he had used it once! I said "how do you think it started then since your house battery was dead?" That got him to thinking....he finally started searching more and found 2-6 volt batteries!! He sent me a picture of them. They were probably 8 years old, still working! Within the next hour, he had gone and bought new replacements. He thanked me and said he was thankful that I had been so persistent. He is such a nice gentleman. I intend on going to see it, hopefully this week. Thanks everyone!

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Denbie1,
is the seller actually the owner or is the owner not able to be in the picture for whatever reason ?
Could the seller be a relative doing the transaction for the unavailable owner and really has no idea about rvโ€™s ?
Or is a scam in place ? Playing dumb ? You need to find out before you waste your time making the trip.

Ask for the vin # and see what they say.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
If itโ€™s a 2015 unit that makes it maybe 8 years old. If they were decent batteries from the factory and it was a newbie owner theyโ€™ve prolly never had an issue (or read the manual) and so are blissfully unaware there are house batteries.

Especially if itโ€™s been parked the last couple of years because of whatโ€™s been going on.

That and itโ€™s amazing to me how many people buy a completely self sufficient living space then never use it anywhere but on full services.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Denbie1 wrote:
I'm thinking about moving back to a class C. Found one 5 hours away. Its a 2015 Holiday Rambler Augusta 29A. The owner thinks that there is only a chasis battery on it, no house batteries. Anyone ever heard of that? Thanks!

Cool!
Maybe the seller would believe since itโ€™s a no house battery model itโ€™s worth like 10 grand less!
Kiddingโ€ฆ not kidding
If itโ€™s got never touched house batteries either theyโ€™re really good or nothing works without being plugged in. Sounds like a negotiation point.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
As said, If the rig comes standard with two 6v batts then there must be a tray for them.
Probably under the entrance steps.

Confirm with the seller. Ask why there are no house batteries there now. If all was/is in working order then the seller should at least have some kind of 12v battery in place to show a buyer that things are in working order. Have him send you a dated now video of things working.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
He likely doesn't know what a house battery is used for. I'd be cautious, find the batteries or their location and be very sure everything works as it should. What is the source of 12V house power w/o 120VAC? The batteries require water so likely not in good shape.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
According to these specs , rig came standard with two 6-volt coach batteries.
I am guessing the seller doesn't have any batteries in the rig.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker