cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold Smoked Cheese

dedmiston
I was down to my last packet of smoked cheese in the fridge, so it was time to do another batch. It's been cold enough and I finally had the time to do it.

I buy the cheapest cheddar I can find from Smart & Final, which was two five-pound blocks of gub'mint cheese.

I cut each of those into four strips to create more surface area for the smoke and to make them into servings. I should have cut them in half again though, because these 1.25 pound strips are too large still.

It was cold enough outside that I could keep them on for three hours instead of two, so I loaded up both smoke tubes and let 'em have it.

I vacuum sealed them into individual packets and put them in the fridge to mellow for two weeks. I finally cheated after 12 days and broke into one of them and it was perfect—just what I wanted.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
28 REPLIES 28

dedmiston

Ten more pounds of cheese on the smoker today. I cut the logs shorter so the packets won't be so huge. These will be done and ready just in time to give out as Christmas gifts.

IMG_3767.jpeg

IMG_3766.jpeg

  

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Must have Spousal Unit give this a go.  Thanks for the idea.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

@Wanderlost wrote:

Must have Spousal Unit give this a go.  Thanks for the idea.

It's easier than you'd think. The trick is finding a day that's cold enough to do it without melting the cheese.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Yes, in our climate that is the issue...

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

dedmiston

Posting a test post just to see if my account works here now.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Looks like it is working 🙂

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
magnusfide wrote:
Any new cheese adventures of late?

Not sure how I missed that. It's almost cool enough to do another batch of cheese. I think we're down to just 2-3 packets left, so it needs to happen soon. The weather needs to help out though.

Have you thought about making your own cheese and then smoking it? I'm thinking about taking up cheesemaking.

I had some smoked jalapeño at our summer reunion and it was outstanding. It would be great to put in Tex Mex.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

I haven't tried making cheese yet. I bake a ton of bread and make my own butter. I guess cheese is the next logical step. Let me know if you have any luck with it.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
magnusfide wrote:

Not sure how I missed that. It's almost cool enough to do another batch of cheese. I think we're down to just 2-3 packets left, so it needs to happen soon. The weather needs to help out though.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I prefer lightly smoked too. Not chimney level. :B I really like the idea of the pencil soldering iron in a can of chips.

Magnus

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
garmp wrote:
I also use Cabot Seriously Sharp. I also have two smoke tubes with the pellets, but I much prefer a different method of cold smoking. The pellets & smoke tube tends to leave a metallic taste in my opinion. So I use wood chips in my home made contraption. I use a Campbells soup can with the top removed & a 1/2" hole near the bottom on a side. Insert a cheap Harbor Freight pencil soldering iron (about $5.00) & fill the can with alder or pecan or apple chips and plug'er in. Don't use anything harsh like hickory or mesquite. I place my cheese on the warming rack on my gas grill & rotate position after about a good hour of smoke. Can of chips generally last a good 2 hours.
Best yet!

Good idea for a way to use chips. I also go about an hour to an hour and a half. I find that any more and the cheese gets too smokey. But then, my wife likes some things to taste like the inside of a chimney!
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Udicomo
Explorer
Explorer
garmp wrote:
I also use Cabot Seriously Sharp. I also have two smoke tubes with the pellets, but I much prefer a different method of cold smoking. The pellets & smoke tube tends to leave a metallic taste in my opinion. So I use wood chips in my home made contraption. I use a Campbells soup can with the top removed & a 1/2" hole near the bottom on a side. Insert a cheap Harbor Freight pencil soldering iron (about $5.00) & fill the can with alder or pecan or apple chips and plug'er in. Don't use anything harsh like hickory or mesquite. I place my cheese on the warming rack on my gas grill & rotate position after about a good hour of smoke. Can of chips generally last a good 2 hours.
Best yet!

Thanks for the idea. Keeping a healthy diet is not that easy so I always look for interesting ideas. I need to lose some weight, I was prescribed to take Xenical (find info about it at Canadian Pharmacy Online) and focus on nutrition - excluding sugar, bakery, and junk food. I plan to add more exercise next week and hope to see the result soon.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best yet!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!