cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlueTooth ear buds and phone on airplane mode...?

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
So, I abandoned my trusty flip phone a little over a year ago and am exploring the features of this mini hand- held computer that also sometimes functions as a phone- it is a low priced, entry level Samsung model.

I am a Luddite.

I recently acquired a set of wireless BlueTooth ear buds. I have linked them to the phone. The music and movies sound OK and I like the wireless feature.

The problem comes in the situation of wanting to use them on an airplane- when switching to "airplane mode" it disconnects the BlueTooth feature as well.

Is there a way to go wireless when watching a movie on a plane?
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
17 REPLIES 17

MrWizard
I have a Motorola "Moto G pure" it has an earphone Jack, at the top like normal,
USB C at the bottom ,
There are phones with headphone/earphone
jacks , most mfg have phones with jacks, or larger battery. More memory for storage Or other features, different models for different folks, you just have too look for what you want, if its not on sale this month, then maybe next month,
I bought thus one last January after watching prices shift during the holidays, this one had most of what i wanted for the price, large display, snapdragon processor, decent 2 day battery rating, came with 32gb storage and i put in a 64gb MSD card,
Specs said it would accept up to 512 MSD, but it malfunctioned when i tried to use one,, so i settled for using the 64, I've only used 33% of space, so it seems it will meet my needs as is
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
obgraham wrote:
Naah. I just finished a flight to Europe. IPhone in airplane mode. Watched a bunch of movies and listened to my music through my Bose blutooth earbuds. No problem at all.

You have a bunch of movies stored on your iPhone?
Indeed. For flying. Even for flights with movies, they are usually cr*p. The good movies on iPad, the Big Bang shows on iPhone.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
obgraham wrote:
Naah. I just finished a flight to Europe. IPhone in airplane mode. Watched a bunch of movies and listened to my music through my Bose blutooth earbuds. No problem at all.

You have a bunch of movies stored on your iPhone?
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
d3500ram wrote:

The problem comes in the situation of wanting to use them on an airplane- when switching to "airplane mode" it disconnects the BlueTooth feature as well.

Is there a way to go wireless when watching a movie on a plane?

Blue tooth is RADIO.. Yes it's a rather special Radio in fact.. Invented some years ago by one Hedy Lamarr.. yes. that Hedy Lamarr.

Airplane mode turns off ALL RADIOS. Including blue tooth.

So it is working just exactly as it should.

If you wish to play music STORED on the phone.. Use a wired headset or earbuds.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
JaxDad,

Samsung has 'learned' from Apple. There is no dedicated ear phone jack. It requires an adapter that plugs into the power port (usb c)

It's a rip off imo.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
wa8yxm,

I love wired. However my cell phones no longer have an earphone jack. I can get an adapter--but it is one more item to loose.

I don't have blue tooth ear phones either. I may have an excuse to buy some noise cancellation ear phones as my existing ones no longer cancel.

Don, if you’re referring to a newer iPhone the lightning plug doubles as a headphone socket, but of course you need lightning earphones.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:

joebedford was making a joke. That was a quote from a movie titled Blazing Saddles. Hedy Lamarr actually won a lawsuit against the producers of the movie for using her name.

I knew it was a joke.. He made that clear.. Did not know about the lawsuit.

The reason I replied to it was that some folks seem to think (Correctly I might add) that I can not know all I post.. They are right.. I do, however, know how to Google. and that was the point of the post.
If I'm not sure.. I google.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEQ3OxYL2Co
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
joebedford wrote:
It's HEDLEY!

(yes, I'm a fan of Mel Brooks)

I did not type the name used copy/paste from a document

I was only 99% sure so I googled don't you know :).

joebedford was making a joke. That was a quote from a movie titled Blazing Saddles. Hedy Lamarr actually won a lawsuit against the producers of the movie for using her name.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I have BlueTooth enabled hearing Aids, and I can put my Samsung Android into Airplane mode and still listen to music that is stored on my phone. Should be the same for Ear Buds, but it may be Phone dependent, but my previous Motorola worked the same way as the Samsung.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:
It's HEDLEY!

I did not type the name used copy/paste from a document

I was only 99% sure so I googled don't you know :).

or the person who said airplane mode does not disable his BT.. IT SHOULD.. if it does not something is wrong.

For the person who said an adapter is "one more thing to lose".

Not if you attach it to the earbuds. Bit of Glue and some string Glue string to adapter and to the earbud cord.. or.. alternative. glue cord to adapter (But that costs you a bit of cord).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's HEDLEY!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
wa8yxm,

I love wired. However my cell phones no longer have an earphone jack. I can get an adapter--but it is one more item to loose.

I don't have blue tooth ear phones either. I may have an excuse to buy some noise cancellation ear phones as my existing ones no longer cancel.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.