Explorer
Explorer
Any where???
37 REPLIES 37

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:

It is estimated the the snowbird population around the Quartzsite area alone is in the 500,000 range. Mesa's population swells in the winter, causing waiting lines at restaurants to go out the door

....Interesting. I wonder how many of the ~500,000 Quartzsite "snowbirds" (guestimate: almost all are boondockers) actually stay in Arizona, all year 'round (ie. they migrate from Quartzsite to BLM land in the high country when Quartzsite gets too hot) ?

I think (don't quote me) that Arizona has the 9th fastest growing population in the US (Florida is ranked 5th fastest growing)

We are "snowbirding" in an ocean front condo (Butler Beach, near St Augustine), however, after the condo, we have a park model rented in March that is water-front on the intercoastal. Too expensive to haul an RV down here from Canada....at this juncture.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Water shortages will continue to get worse as long as politics allows it. As will electric blackouts as long as we continue to allow more consumption, such as electric vehicles, without any more energy production. When is the last time a power plant was built? Snow birds are only a drop in the bucket.

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
Before you buy in Mexico you might want to follow this for a while

http://www.borderlandbeat.com

dedmiston
CBBeggs wrote:
My wife and I are getting ready to retire (about 5 more years) and looking at purchasing a condo in Mexico for spending our winter months and back in US for summer RV'ing.
Is there anyone doing this who could give some advice to help us prepare or have any advice before making this decision?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Happy camping.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
CBBeggs wrote:
My wife and I are getting ready to retire (about 5 more years) and looking at purchasing a condo in Mexico for spending our winter months and back in US for summer RV'ing.
Is there anyone doing this who could give some advice to help us prepare or have any advice before making this decision?

Thanks

No matter what, I would definitely rent for the first few winters.

CBBeggs
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œBirdsโ€ fly north too. Escaping from something during June July and August. Catching Kanadian fish. Making their way to Alaska. Banff, Jasper we see lots of American plates.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
OkieGene, Arizona only has so much water available and all the snowbirds really out a strain on the resource.
It is estimated the the snowbird population around the Quartzsite area alone is in the 500,000 range. Mesa's population swells in the winter, causing waiting lines at restaurants to go out the door (summers, it's walk in and have a seat). So the year round population gets a little tired of the birds.
"So many snowbirds, so little room in the freezer." is heard often among the year round population.

Yes absolutely water is a huge issue.

I've been following the story of the town (not really a town but a very nice home area) by the name of Rio Verde Foothills, a suburb of Scottsdale AZ. Rio Verde has NO water supply. The residents have been paying water trucks to bring water in from a supply in Scottsdale. Scottsdale kept warning Rio Verde to get their own water supply because Scottsdale residents come first. Huge homes continue to be built, there's NO water for them. A few weeks ago Scottsdale made true on their warning to cut off the water supply. Trucks now have to drive an hour or 2 away to get water to haul back to Rio Verde. In an interview I saw, one resident was using 24,000 gallons per month!!! That's crazy. Wasteful.

And west of Phoenix, not too far from Buckeye, the Hughes Corp spent something like 600 MILLION DOLLARS to buy a 37 THOUSAND ACRES to build 100,000 new houses.

THERE ISN'T ENOUGH WATER TO GO AROUND!!!! Yet we see more developments, more golf courses etc etc etc.

You can google those 2 stories I mentioned to see how sad and pathetic it is, and how builders just want to make their $$$ building with no regard to water going forward.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
OkieGene, Arizona only has so much water available and all the snowbirds really out a strain on the resource.
It is estimated the the snowbird population around the Quartzsite area alone is in the 500,000 range. Mesa's population swells in the winter, causing waiting lines at restaurants to go out the door (summers, it's walk in and have a seat). So the year round population gets a little tired of the birds.
"So many snowbirds, so little room in the freezer." is heard often among the year round population.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
As a fulltimer I usually head south with the snowbirds. This winter I am snowbirding in place in Delaware due to family medical issues.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Forget the RV Parks in AZ for a moment. TThere are a LOT of RV's not staying in parks at all, or just occasionally.

The free to almost free land in AZ holds a LOT of RV'ers, of all types.
You can slip across the border to Whackyfornia and get the same deal.

Some BLM land is free, some you pay $40 for a 14 day stay, the best bargains are 7 months for $180.

Under a $1 bill a day is very attractive to a lot of folks. Depending on the location, it may include free trash dump, free tank dumping, and fresh water.

The Quartzite to Yuma contains a LOT of this.

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
They're here in Brownsville, TX
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
For sure they all didn't go to the Rio Grande Valley.
100,000 moved to AZ in the past year alone. Add in Snowbirds and traffic is a nightmare.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah