cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FDR state park directions

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I will be attending my Navy ships reunion in Columbus,Ga the end of September. We will be coming down I-81 then take I-75 towards Chattanooga. Having driven around Atlanta a few times,I want to stay far away.So I was looking at taking Georgia 27 which would take us to the park. Have any of you taken this way towing a trailer? How is the road?
7 REPLIES 7

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
TN-60 / GA-71
-jbh-

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:
Take the Dalton Bypass, far preferable to Chattanooga, then GA-53 between south Calhoun and Rome, then US-27 south. Mostly two-lane, roads are ok.
What is the route number for the Dalton bypass?

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:
FWIW KOA Chattanooga North, actually at Cleveland, is a good stop, handy to getting to the Dalton Pike / Bypass. BTW, I found the north end of the Dalton Bypass to be a bit rough back in June. Certainly not giant holes though. Take it a little slow.

I can vouch for the KOA north CG. Stayed there last year for a week and am booked again this coming April. Great place.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW KOA Chattanooga North, actually at Cleveland, is a good stop, handy to getting to the Dalton Pike / Bypass. BTW, I found the north end of the Dalton Bypass to be a bit rough back in June. Certainly not giant holes though. Take it a little slow.
-jbh-

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Johnhicks nailed it. just traveled it Monday and great road all the way. Traveled it lots of times.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Take the Dalton Bypass, far preferable to Chattanooga, then GA-53 between south Calhoun and Rome, then US-27 south. Mostly two-lane, roads are ok.
-jbh-

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
If time is not too critical then sure, get off the e-way and do the secondary roads. If you want to miss Chattanooga then bail off 75 at Cleveland TN and take TN 74 over to TN 60/GA 71. It's 2 lane but I've pulled my 37ft. on it before and for me it's worth missing Chatt. It takes you into Dalton GA. At GA 52 head west to 75 again until you want to bail off and go over to 27.

I have not been on 27 so can't advise you there. Look on Google maps satellite view to see if the route is acceptable. My guess is that it is fine.

I just looked at it, it looks to be mostly 2 lane divided hwy. Looks like a great choice.

Another point, from where 81 hits 40 it's a 50 mile trip over to pick up 75. I live almost where 81 hits 40. You can save some miles by picking up 129 (airport hwy) in Knoxville and go toward Maryville and then get on 411 all the way to Ocoee and hit TN-74 there. That's how I go any time I head toward Chatt.