cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaf Spring Failure - Replace the Others?

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last summer I experienced a leaf spring failure on my 2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield. The driver's side rear spring snapped in two about 2-inches from where it attached to the frame. After being alerted that the tires on that side were rubbing together, I pulled to the side of the interstate. I had just entered the highway about a mile back, so I was lucky to discover it so soon, and there was no damage to the tires or the trailer. I was very lucky!

AAA got me to a nearby RV repair shop that happened to have a used leaf spring off of a 7000# axle, and it fit my trailer (My axles are 7000# too.) The used spring that was installed appears to be heavier duty than the one that failed. The used one has 7 leafs and each leaf is about 3/8" thick. The one that failed has 6 leafs and each leaf is about 11/32" thick. (1/32" thinner.) Both springs are about the same width.

The tech that installed the used spring recommended that I replace the other 3 leaf springs with heavier duty ones when I got back home. Although the episode could have been a lot worse, I still wouldn't want to go through it again.

Should I replace them, or just consider this event to be an unusual occurence that is not likely to happen again?
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
24 REPLIES 24

CarnationSailor wrote:
buc1980 wrote:
After 3 springs broke during the years I get fed up and install the IS .That system put the end of the worry to get stock on the road.

What's the "IS"?

IS = Independent Suspension Morryde

It is an unbelievable system, but with that come a price tag that is steep... To those who have it, its like non other, to those who never had it they have no idea just how nice it rides...

I believe I paid $6800 back in 2019 for mine last one, as I have had the system on my last 3 RV's
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

buc1980 wrote:
After 3 springs broke during the years I get fed up and install the IS .That system put the end of the worry to get stock on the road.

Smart decision ! ! I did the same but it was B-4 I broke a spring or 2
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since OP has a broken spring, he also has an equalizer. If itโ€™s doing its job the wheel weights on the same side will be very close if not the same. A bigger problem in trailers is one side weighing more than the other. The CAT scales that I have used have curbing that doesnโ€™t allow side to side weighing, but Iโ€™ve had individual wheel weighing done at an RV rally. That showed that the wheels on the same side were equal or within 50 lbs. But, it also showed that the heavy side (often the appliance side) was 950 lbs. more than the light side. Worse yet, it showed the heavy side to be overloaded for the springs and hubs. We moved some stuff around and started carrying less fresh water (the fresh tank runs front to rear on the heavy sideโ€”great design!) and shifted the difference to 750 lbs. now a little below the suspension rating. I was able to verify the improvement by finding a grain elevator scale where I could weigh with one side on the scale with the other side off.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
About 6 years ago I replaced my stock 6 leaf spring packs with 7 leaf spring packs thinking that would put an end to any concerns about spring failure.

Wrong!

Had a catastrophic failure of one spring pack in Newfoundland last year. No 7 leaf replacements were available. The best trailer shop on the island only had 6 packs & only 2 of them in stock.

Bought the 2 of them & spent 2 days swapping both sides on the front axle. Tough job but DW & I got it done.

So now we are riding on 6 packs fwd & 7 packs on the aft axle. One 7 pack spare riding in truck box. 6000 miles later, no issues.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
buc1980 wrote:

What's the "IS"?

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the helpful responses. I will be replacing all 4 leaf springs with ones that are about 10% higher rated and of higher quality. I will be paying up for the higher quality, but the peace of mind I get in return will be worth it.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
When my first TH was new, I had two blowouts and replaced them with whatever I could get "on the road". When I got home, I replaced all 4 because E rated tires were clearly not good enough.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
ronharmless wrote:
How many RVโ€™s are on the road that have never experienced a spring failure? Yet somehow you believe you got 4 bad ones. I say replace them all, then send the old ones to me for proper disposal.

Same could be said for tire blowouts. Yet, crazy people replace tires that haven't blown yet...crazy.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
My 05 FW had made in China springs and I broke 2 at different times always where second leaf ended, not overloaded. Has operated current FW with extra long second leaf that extends to where main leaf is attached, we call it military wrapped. And no issue.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

IF you do not think the broken spring was from mis-use... heavy pot holes, always curbing it on turns, Then I would look at it like this..

It is probably a sign of things to come, replace all 4 and call it a day... look into the spring ratings and YOUR scaled weights, then decide if you want to go heavier or not.

Going heavier does NOT ALWAYS equal the best answer....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Question?
Are springs now coming from China and if yes, when did that start?

China and India actually and yes it's been happening for a while.

Broke one last year hitting a nice pot hole. Replaced all 4 including one axle that was starting to lie flat. Age and mileage wear them out.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Question?
Are springs now coming from China and if yes, when did that start?

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
ronharmless wrote:
How many RVโ€™s are on the road that have never experienced a spring failure? Yet somehow you believe you got 4 bad ones. I say replace them all, then send the old ones to me for proper disposal.
Well, there's "broken", and there's "need to be replaced". I'd be willing to be there are lots and lots of "need to be replaced" out there, but few realize it. The springs still work, kind of, but are kind of like worn out shock absorbers: you don't really notice how bad they are until they're replaced. When your springs start looking like W's, it's time. Most people simply don't look.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"