cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Feedback on $50 Onan carbs on Amazon?

dedmiston
What's the consensus on the cheap knockoff carbs for Onan 5500 generators? They run in the $45 - $70 range, which is a lot less than $400 for the OEM.

AMAZON LINK

My gen has been giving me a little trouble and I'm thinking about ordering one to keep as a spare in case I need to fix it while we're boondocking.

Yesterday I removed the solenoid jet and cleaned it up because our gen wouldn't start (no fuel). It's purring great now, but I'm a little nervous that my fix might not last forever.

Anybody here have any experience with the knockoff carbs?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
26 REPLIES 26

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Racklefratz wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I am sure you have looked into re building the carb?

If you're "sure" about that, why is it a question?

Guess my question SA is why you even needed to comment?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Racklefratz wrote:
otrfun wrote:
I saw two OEM Onan carbs in this same link (one ~$300, another ~$450) that only had 4.0 and 4.4 reviews, respectively. Only did a quick 30 sec look. There could be more. I find that interesting.

I'm getting more and more skeptical regarding Amazon "reviews".

In many cases, seemingly, a lot of 'em don't know what they're doing. They buy the wrong product, it doesn't work, and then they give the product a bad review.

The star rating is certainly just a starting point. You need to read thru and see what they are saying. This is nothing new and nothing specific to amazon.

Reviews are still very useful...if you pay attention to what is being said.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
SuperBus wrote:
I recently purchased a cheap Chinese carb because the OE part was on backorder (and still is) since June (for a Stihl pole saw). I have been reluctant to install it. Granted, carbs aren't the most complicated things on the planet, but these knock offs are straight copies of the originals - including any flaws that are in the few pieces they copied into mass production. The manufacturer of the knock off doesn't know why one dimension is what they measured it at (tolerances aren't defined), nor does he understand the materials, surfaces finishes, etc. It is blind copy and that is why it is cheap. Furthermore, it's likely the manufacturing processes are uncontrolled, and quality varies widely. The OE part is expensive because there was a staff of professionals behind its development, it was validated in a certified laboratory, and it was made in a controlled facility (even if it may have been overseas). These are things to consider when placing parts on expensive systems.

Naw, they simply know a lot of people will buy the OEM part...just because they don't know any better. When they sell it for 10 times what it should cost, they don't don't care if it scares off 50% of the potential buyers.

Ever notice with car insurance, unless you have a specific rider, insurance will typically only pay for equivalent parts...because they work fine 99% of the time. If the after market brake brands failed regularly, it would cost the insurance company more than paying for the high price OEM brakes.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
This is why a certain Country owns us, people are happy to buy the CHEAP option over and over again.

Tried cleaning a Kawasaki on a golf cart. Messed with it and messed with it. Finally talked to a buddy good with small engines and he told me to just by a cheap knock off for a 1/10th the price of the name brand part.

10 min work to swap it out and it ran fine for the next year until I sold the cart.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
otrfun wrote:
I saw two OEM Onan carbs in this same link (one ~$300, another ~$450) that only had 4.0 and 4.4 reviews, respectively. Only did a quick 30 sec look. There could be more. I find that interesting.

I'm getting more and more skeptical regarding Amazon "reviews".

In many cases, seemingly, a lot of 'em don't know what they're doing. They buy the wrong product, it doesn't work, and then they give the product a bad review.
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

If you're "sure" about that, why is it a question?
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Buck up and buy the real deal.

Bet the "real deal" is Chinese also!!...:S

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jkwilson wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
This is why a certain Country owns us, people are happy to buy the CHEAP option over and over again.

I had two different Stihl pros rebuild my carb three times. No improvement. A $15 Chinese carburetor fixed it immediately after spending more than $200 trying to get it fixed. Youโ€™d have to be an idiot to throw more money at a losing proposition.

Especially if the โ€œprosโ€ you have canโ€™t even figure out about the simplest of all carburetorsโ€ฆ.
Although itโ€™s a good business model if they can get repeat payments for being inept. None of this is the carburetors fault.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
What's the consensus on the cheap knockoff carbs for Onan 5500 generators? They run in the $45 - $70 range, which is a lot less than $400 for the OEM.

AMAZON LINK . . .
Quite a few aftermarket Onan carbs ($45-$70) in this Amazon link have 4.5 and higher reviews (one has over 300 reviews).

I saw two OEM Onan carbs in this same link (one ~$300, another ~$450) that only had 4.0 and 4.4 reviews, respectively. Only did a quick 30 sec look. There could be more.

I find that interesting.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
There are actually two different topics here.
Carburetors very rarely "wear out".
Finding competent service for them is difficult at best.

Matt

Half of what you say is true. (I'm 69 years old) My dad owned a 66 Mercedes 250S with 2-2 barrel split shaft Zenith carbs. After about 60,000 miles, the throttle shafts wore down creating a vacuum leak and the car would not idle because too much air leaked past the worn throttle shafts causing a lean condition at idle. The only fixes: replace the carbs ($$$$$) Have a machinist bore out the worn shafts, install bushings and "o" rings, . . . problem solved. My dad's "Mercedes Mechanic" would fix the problem by pumping grease into the worn shafts. That would work until I drove the car at over 100mph (heating it up) and the grease would melt. Problem returned. My dad always knew.

Chum lee

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
There are actually two different topics here.
Carburetors very rarely "wear out".
Finding competent service for them is difficult at best.

On several occasions, I have purchased carburetors that were very good knock-off of a Walbro LMB that is used on many old Onans and lots of Kohler small engines. A Kohler in yard service can wear out the throttle shaft and bearing areas. I have repaired this several times and then pick up a knock-off. Often these need minor modification that I don't recommend.

What many refer to as a rebuild is nothing more than a complete cleaning. The Walbros with a rubber pointed needle often give problems when the rubber point is damaged by current motorfuels. But if that is the problem, a kit is usually the simple solution. Past that, if you did not tear the gaskets, all you really have to do is soak the parts in a good solvent and the clean the passages with a tag wire and blow them all clear.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ronharmless wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

That โ€œcertain Countryโ€ owns enough of our federal debt that they can bankrupt us any day they choose, and claim the entire navy fleet as due payment. They already โ€œownโ€ us and that debt isnโ€™t due to us serfs buying cheap carburetors.

He sleeps better at night in his made in the USA pjammys.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

That โ€œcertain Countryโ€ owns enough of our federal debt that they can bankrupt us any day they choose, and claim the entire navy fleet as due payment. They already โ€œownโ€ us and that debt isnโ€™t due to us serfs buying cheap carburetors.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've used the "knock offs" off Amazon on chainsaws, pole saws, weed eaters, generators and a Kawasaki powered lawn mower. All worked flawlessly except the Kawasaki lawnmower. The good part is if you watch the return time allowed, all your out is the labor (yours) if it doesn't work and return it for another or a full refund. Amazon even covers the return shipping.