cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splendide dryer solution?

bob_b
Explorer
Explorer
To all who have experienced shut-down during the drying cycle I have some info. Ours was caused by a buildup of damp lint in the dryer discharge passage. Not the flex vent hose but just inside the machine, about five inches down from where the hose attaches. I was able to extract the lint "balls" with a hook I bent from a section of wire coat hanger. It works fine now but I've been wondering why it happens.
It may be a design flaw, there is a sharp 90 degree bend the dryer air must make or, we may be the cause of the problem by the procedure we follow when drying. We have always pulled the clothes out while still damp and hung them to lessen wrinkles. This may allow the wet lint a chance to gather as opposed to drying and blowing out the vent hose. We are still removing our clothes but letting the dryer run to complete the cycle. Let's hope this works! Bob
bob b
10 REPLIES 10

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Either way, most units are installed in a closet space barely big enough for the machine. Because of the small loads, our vented unit gets its workout by doing multiple loads every day. I'm very familiar with the drier shut down. I've come to realize there is no permanent fix and each time it happens...it becomes a real pain having to pull the unit out and clear the lint.

I'm getting ready to do this again and thinking that a will cut the small door opening in the side, hinge it and make access a tad easier.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Ray_IN
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Ray,IN wrote:
This is the latest/new Splendide method of lint removal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdTdW7bAdkk

This is for the Washer/Dryer Combo. The OP stated he had a vent hose. Washer/Dryer Combo's are worthless to dry clothes. As to the OP, I have worked on Splendide's for over 20 years(hundreds) and have NEVER seen the kind of blockage the OP stated he had. ALWAYS, the blockage has been the exit at the back of the dryer and/or the vent flex tube out the back to outside has built up lint. Now, the one thing that may cause the OP's problem is IF he has any screen filter at the back outlet of the dryer or anywhere else. I have NEVER installed or seen an OEM install have any type screen filter at the heat exit connection on a Splendide Dryer. Doug

Apology accepted.
After working on Splendide units for 20 years, I'm surprised you'd make that mistake.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom pushed by a 2013 Chevy Silverado K1500 And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
LouLawrence wrote:
You just make a slot above the location of the filter so you can reach down and remove it. I know it takes a bit more work, but it is done in some installations. It can also be a hinged door, but access can be provided.

Your comments made me go and look back at various install manuals for Splendide. OLDER models did have that removable lint screen like on some household models. But, the ones I have installed(AND OEM installs) did NOT come with a removable lint screen. Just the screw on adapter that you hook the flexable vent hose to. Also, nobody mentioned(I also forgot), the front debris/lint plastic filter, that you need to check a few times a month, maybe more if you use the washer/dryer combo a lot. This would not be on a dryer only. Doug

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
You just make a slot above the location of the filter so you can reach down and remove it. I know it takes a bit more work, but it is done in some installations. It can also be a hinged door, but access can be provided.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
LouLawrence wrote:
Doug, the Splendide washer dryer combo does have a vent hose. There are non-vented versions but that's not what the OP is talking about. I have also seen (and owned) a Splendide with a filter in the exhaust at the exhaust exit. Mine just had a slot you reached into to pull the filter up.

You are correct. I should have stated NON VENTED Splendide Washer/Dryer combo. Also, the way almost ALL OEM's install and secure the Vented dryers, there is no easy way to remove to clean that screen vent. Which is why nobody installs the screen vent, including me. The Oem's and I install a shelf above the combo as the customers do not want to lose that storage space. So, installing the screen vent at the back of the Splendide cannot be done unless you want to lose that extra shelf space.
Doug.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, the Splendide washer dryer combo does have a vent hose. There are non-vented versions but that's not what the OP is talking about. I have also seen (and owned) a Splendide with a filter in the exhaust at the exhaust exit. Mine just had a slot you reached into to pull the filter up.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Ray,IN wrote:

This is for the Washer/Dryer Combo. The OP stated he had a vent hose. Washer/Dryer Combo's are worthless to dry clothes. As to the OP, I have worked on Splendide's for over 20 years(hundreds) and have NEVER seen the kind of blockage the OP stated he had. ALWAYS, the blockage has been the exit at the back of the dryer and/or the vent flex tube out the back to outside has built up lint. Now, the one thing that may cause the OP's problem is IF he has any screen filter at the back outlet of the dryer or anywhere else. I have NEVER installed or seen an OEM install have any type screen filter at the heat exit connection on a Splendide Dryer. Doug

Ray_IN
Explorer II
Explorer II
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom pushed by a 2013 Chevy Silverado K1500 And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
phil-t wrote:
...Have you been doing the clorox cleaning cycle?...

Would you pass whatever that is on to the rest of us, please.
2014 American Eagle

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Have you been doing the clorox cleaning cycle? Ours had a marked drying time increase, ran the clorox cleaning and it came to drying life. Must do something to the accumulated lint stuck in the inards.
2014 Allegro 36LA