cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CGs Near Osseo/Eau Claire, WI w/o Minimum Stay Requirement?

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
Hello,

I am planning my return route from out west this coming summer, and it will take me through the Eau Claire / Osseo area off of I-94. I am running into an issue where nearly every campground is requiring a minimum two-night stay. Even a state park has this rule, which I have never encountered before. Unfortunately, I am only passing through on my way home and need just one night. Can anyone recommend a good campground in the area that does not have this restriction? As a last resort, perhaps we'll just stay in a hotel. I will continue searching and update this post if I find something. Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Flapper wrote:
Ditto - seems that it is becoming more and more common here in the central Midwest to at least require two nights on weekends (any weekend). Yes, I have paid for Fri and Sat, and then left after only the one night...

This is an easy solution. Just pack up after one night and move on.

Wallydocking is certainly another option.

The other question: Is there something forcing you to stay in this specific area. Pulling up/Pushing on for an hour or two gives you a pretty big area to find a campground.

We cut across last fall from the Michigan UP to Oshkosh then west to LaCross and no issues finding places to stay.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
I think a number of factors play into it:
1. Proximity to an urban area - is it an easy part day drive from "home" to the CG., especially if that urban area is of the type that can support easy storage of an RV when not in use (suburban lots, lots of storage lots, etc.)
2. Is there a strong "outdoor" tradition (camping, hunting, fishing) culture in the region?
3. Are there noted frequent festivals/events in the region?
4. Is the CG itself in the more desirable range of amenities - "family friendly", "resort style", etc.

All of it plays into the RV boom of the last several years - more RV's, with people inclined to use them.
Madison and Milwaukee - huge source of people with RV's who want to get away for a weekend. Philadelphia - not as much, even though it is a big tourist destination!
So easy for a CG to not risk having empty spots vs other areas where they'll hope and pray enough will show up to keep them operating.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
rr2254545 wrote:
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
We stayed at THIS place in Osseo a couple of months ago. It let me select a Saturday check in and Sunday check out just now.

It's not cheap, but it is a nice clean resort. At least we thought so, but it was our first RV resort. We were visiting family there so we didn't spend a lot of time at that place.

They have a minimum

Night Minimums:
Friday & Saturday must always be booked together for all sites.
Two-night minimum is required for all rental units.
One-night stays are only allowed on RV sites Sunday-Thursday of non-holiday weeks.
Three-night minimum stay on holiday weekends. (Memorial, 4th of July & Labor Day Weekends)- Weekend Rate charged for all holiday days. 

They certainly do, and that is actually the resort that kicked me off on asking this question.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
We stayed at THIS place in Osseo a couple of months ago. It let me select a Saturday check in and Sunday check out just now.

It's not cheap, but it is a nice clean resort. At least we thought so, but it was our first RV resort. We were visiting family there so we didn't spend a lot of time at that place.

They have a minimum

Night Minimums:
Friday & Saturday must always be booked together for all sites.
Two-night minimum is required for all rental units.
One-night stays are only allowed on RV sites Sunday-Thursday of non-holiday weeks.
Three-night minimum stay on holiday weekends. (Memorial, 4th of July & Labor Day Weekends)- Weekend Rate charged for all holiday days. 
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the recommendations and tips, appreciate them all!

I wonder why this area (WI) may be more inclined to do two-night minimum stays? Living in Michigan, camping is incredibly popular requiring 6 month or more advanced reservations for any given weekend, and I don't see the min. stay requirements (exceptions being ownership resorts; sometimes owners require min. stays). Is it due to popularity, i.e. regions with less traffic are pushing this min. stay? I would suspect WI enjoys a similar level of popularity, but maybe not?

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Often a direct call to the campground can get a one night booking even if the web says otherwise.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
There's a concession operated military campground on Ft McCoy WI that is open to the public. It may fit your needs.
It's been a few years since I've been to Ft McCoy so I have no idea what it's like now.
Description, prices, pictures here. Pine View Recreation Area, Ft McCoy WI
Camped in every state

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
On our trip last year couple of campgrounds did have that rule, but if you don't make reservations and keep an eye on the number of open sites, walk ins are not required to book two days if there are nay openings. And if passing through we just had to have that campground for one reason or another just pay for two & leave when you must. I know it isn't the most economical way to do things but it works.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto - seems that it is becoming more and more common here in the central Midwest to at least require two nights on weekends (any weekend). Yes, I have paid for Fri and Sat, and then left after only the one night...
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
I have run into this in that area also - we stay at the Hixton KOA no min there, its only 40 miles south of Eau Claire
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
craig7h wrote:
Have never stayed here nor driven through but for an over night it looks like it would work

https://www.expocenterec.com/campsites.phtml?utm_source=campgrounds.rvlife.com&utm_campaign=RVLife_Campgrounds&utm_medium=referral

Thank you! Funny enough, I stumbled across this one too when I used Google instead of the Trip Planner. I will be keeping the number handy as they allow reservations no sooner than three days ahead of time.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Have never stayed here nor driven through but for an over night it looks like it would work

https://www.expocenterec.com/campsites.phtml?utm_source=campgrounds.rvlife.com&utm_campaign=RVLife_Campgrounds&utm_medium=referral
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
vermilye wrote:
SuperBus wrote:
naturist wrote:
You don't say WHEN this summer, and that is the kicker. Many, many campgrounds institute a minimum 2 night stay on major holiday weekends, such as Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day. It is because demand is so high, they sell out early, and rather than take a loss on a site they could have filled both nights, they make it mandatory. I have never run into a minimum 2 night stay except on one of those major holiday weekends.

So I'm guessing you are talking about one of those holidays, and all I can say is "good luck" finding one. Might just be the night you spend in a Wally World parking lot.

Given how popular camping is on those weekends, you are very likely to find that finding a place to stay at all on the second night of that weekend will be very difficult. If you really want to camp, this might be God's way of telling you to sit still for that second night.

I know, not what you wanted to hear. I wish I could point you to the campground of your dreams for a single night that weekend. Best of luck finding what you want, and remember to stay safe out there.

Good point, however, I am NOT referring to one of those weekends, as of course it would be obvious that such a requirement may be in place, and if so it would probably be three nights. It is possible there is a local festival that weekend, which would be prudent for me to investigate, and a quick search indicated there was no such thing. We travel a lot, and to many places, and this is unique. Generic weekend stay requirements in the middle of WI? Just seemed odd.
Not all that unique. Some NY State Parks have 2 day minimums throughout most of the summer.

Interesting. I get it from an operator's occupancy perspective, but it sure is inconvenient for a "passing through" situation. Lets hope this does not catch-on elsewhere. We have gone back to certain campgrounds for longer stays after discovering them during one-night stays on long trips. With "forced duration stays", it is sad to see that option for discovery go away. I can't rationalize paying for two nights if only using one.