cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gasket/molding issue

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2010 Winnebago, there is rubber molding that covers the joint between the upper and lower body panels. The rubber strip on the passenger side from the entry door to the back (about 12 feet) has now come out three or four times. I can push it right back in with just my thumb, but within a few days it starts coming back out. I dont want to replace it with new rubber because it is painted to match the body panel.
My first thought is to put a drop of adhesive on the top joining surface every foot of so to stop it from dropping to the bottom of the track (there is maybe a 32nd of an inch of free play) which is how it is coming free.
Or is there some rubber conditioner I should use to expand what I am guessing is shrinking rubber from it drying out over time?

8 REPLIES 8

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
google trim molding insert

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the clicky. Leave off the . at the end
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

harryjr
Explorer
Explorer
You can contact steelerubber.com/camper-rv.
They are willing to send you samples to test fit replacements for size. Very well made product and much better than OEM.
Harry Jr.
Southeastern CT

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Thanks all, I just used some clear silicon I had aboard, a dot every foot or so and scotch tape for overnight.

I once bought a trailer with the light holes cut oversized. Drop a load of shot rock in it, all the lights and gaskets would be hanging by wires. Clear silicon around each one, lights stayed in for 3 years at least, sold trailer.
You should be good.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, I just used some clear silicon I had aboard, a dot every foot or so and scotch tape for overnight.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
When that happened to mine, I put a generous amount of E6000 behind the strip and held it in place with tape overnight.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I would also put some adhesive every few feet to hold the molding in place. You could use some blue painters tape to temporarily hold the molding until the adhesive dries. Once dried carefully hold the molding in place while you peel off the tape.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Had an RV doing that many years ago. I just put a few small dots of silicone behind it and it never came out again. It would easily come apart if you wanted it to though.
Be gentle or the paint will come off the strip.