cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Olympic National Park / Port Angeles

vja3
Explorer
Explorer
Going to be near Olympic National Park/Port Angeles area for one night - Sunday June 25th. We'd like to stay at Heart O' the Hills campground in the national park, but not sure if it's a good plan because it is a first-come/first-serve campground and we expect to arrive around 6:00-7:00pm. Is anyone familiar with this area and have an idea of what type of shot we have of finding a site (equipment=19 foot campervan) on a summer Sunday evening?

Alternatively, if Heart o the Hills is full when we arrive, will we be able to find something else nearby at the last minute? For example, the Olympic Peninsula/Port Angeles KOA is nearby. There are also a few other RV parks and State Parks. I am not familiar with this area at all. Does anyone more knowledgeable have a guess as to if we will find these places full on a late-June Sunday, or will something work out for us if we need to scramble at the last minute?
9 REPLIES 9

vja3
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard good things about Kalaloch, but I was thinking Mora Campground would be a little more convenient for my plans, which include stops at Rialto beach and Hoh Rainforest. I'm hoping to get reservations at Mora when they open 6 months out.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
On the coast side of the peninsula is a national park campground at Kalaloch. It has nice campground and a real nice dry camping overflow
Long way from Hurricane Ridge but good place to stay.
What is your plan for the peninsula portion of your trip?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The summer season is extremely busy in WA especially late June to Labor
Day. It is the only "less wet" time of year. Get reservations. PA is a long way from Olympic NP.

vja3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. We'll go the safer route and make a reservation somewhere.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Campgrounds are so busy around here that there's just no way I would count on getting a spot at any first-come type of place - especially that late in the day.
I would stay where I can get a reservation.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
For what it's worth, we liked Elwha RV Park -- fairly well located, good management.

The campgrounds inside the national park are very nice and are thus very popular, as you have already discovered.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would try to get to park much earlier in the day. I would be looking at closer to 2 PM. Summer is a very busy time on Pennisula.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

vja3
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the response. This is part of a longer trip around the Olympic peninsula. We are planning to hike the Hurricane Ridge area the next day and would like to stay as close as possible - meaning Heart o' the Hills campground. Just not sure that hoping to get lucky there on a Sunday evening is wise.

Seems like the safest bet would be to just book one of the state parks that are an hour or so away.

dedmiston
Hi via,

Welcome to the forum.

I donโ€™t know that camp, but FCFS sounds risky that late in the day that time of year, even on a Sunday.

I think youโ€™d be better off getting reservations someplace else, especially if you only have one night.

Is this part of a cross-country trip? Have fun.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230