cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roadtrek 170 boiling cabin battery

chatvmax
Explorer
Explorer
The issue im having with my RoadTrek 170 ( Year 2000 ) built on a Dodge Ram 3/4 ton,, is that when i plug the camper in to AC it rapidly BOILS the cabin battery until it actually explodes.
I had the original one crack and the acid dripped out on the ground.. I replaced the alternator and battery isolater, same thing.
Then i was thinking that its fine when not plugged in SO it cant be those components..
Whatever it is it must be related to some charging system when plugged into AC only... any help appreciated
PS - im good with a meter and have tools..
Thank You in advance
4 REPLIES 4

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Your power converter is overcharging - that is a typical scenario with older converters.

We have a 170 on the Chevy chassis - I imagine it is similar. Our converter is under the driver's side of the back dinette cushion. There should be a vented door in front of it - probably brown. We replaced our converter with a Progressive Dynamics converter and we leave the van plugged in 24/7. It is a smart converter that changes the amount of charging so it won't boil the battery.

We used a PD4645 as a direct replacement for our old converter from BestConverter.com

Good luck.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Geez Why replace the alternator when the problem is with whatever charger/converter the RV uses to charge your battery when on shore power. Since you are still having the overcharge issue with a new battery I would think most likely the problem is with your shore powered charger unit. Find it, check it out and replace if necessary.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the voltage is under 14.4 and excessively gassing there is probably a shorted cell in the battery. Time for a replacement battery.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Symptom of over charging. What is the battery voltage when plugged in? Should be about 14.4V for discharged battery down to 13.4V as it charges.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob