cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

uBlock Origin ad blocker

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I'm finding that uBlock Origin works great on one of my free movie sites (TubiTV), but doesn't work at all on another free movie site (Popcornflix). Popcornflix has some of the longest and most annoying ads I've ever seen anywhere. Does anyone know why uBlock Origin doesn't work everywhere, and is there an ad blocker that does (although the concensus of many others is uBlock Origin is one of the best). Thanks in advance for your assistance. Ed

PS: I understand these sites need ad revenue to survive, but it's sometimes too much annoyance. I wouldn't mind one or two not-overly-long and frequent ads, but these sites pile on so many that it makes the movie virtually unwatchable. I find ads on YouTube movies alot more tolerable, and can often be skipped (no ad blocker necessary).
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
11 REPLIES 11

Not just trash talking but many movies today don't have a semblance of a story. More just a series of events. One reason I don't go to see super hero movies which IMO, are just basically a video game on a big screen. What Martin Scorsese referred to as an amusement park ride. Mindless junk that can't keep my attention. I've dozed off multiple times in a theater.

I tend to gravitate toward independent movies. Those which most moviegoers likely don't even know exist. My favorite last year being CODA, which I told everyone was going to win the Oscar for best picture. And when it did win, I doubt most had any idea about the film in the first place. Was just fortunate to catch an Apple TV screening in a theater with an actual audience, though quickly disappeared relegating it to online streaming. Though still powerful.

Some movies are ideally suited to be first experienced in a theater. Denis Villeneuve's DUNE was a perfect example. You couldn't appreciate the full impact of the movie from online streaming that you could from IMAX Laser or Dolby Cinema presentation - saw it 4 times in theater. Kept my attention for all 2hrs 40mins+. AMPAS members must have also highly regarded the movie, as it won more Oscars than any other last year. Though 'Denis Villeneuve', one of my favorite current filmmakers, was conspicuously not nominated. Neither was CODA's Sian Heder. Oscar voters must have mistakenly thought these movies directed themselves? :S

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
mr. ed wrote:
Lantley wrote:
try Adblock plus

Thanks for the suggestion, Lantley. Quick question: is it permissible to have 2 ad blockers installed?

I use 2 with no issues
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
All the trash talk later movies are showcase of our present. Dumb, dumber and dumbest. I have hundreds of DVDs of my favorite western and other movies. All is good for me. Cheers to common sense and no woke GB.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. Now I know why ad blockers don't always work. I'm learning!:C Anyhow, I certainly won't use Popcornflix any more. All those annoying comercials aren't worth it, no matter how good the film is. Besides, there are many movies I don't watch even if the plot is good because of the common usage of foul language, which I don't tolerate. Fortunately, westerns are usually free of the modern 4 letter explitives in common use today! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I think that ad blockers don't work on Popcornflix because they are serving the ads, not a third party ad service. Ad blockers are not able to distinguish between the main content and ads on the same service. They're designed to block known URL links to online ad services.

TubiTV is one of my favorite free streaming services. They have some content that you need to pay, or otherwise, not available on other streamers. Never see any ads using browsers.

ProjectMon
Explorer
Explorer
There are multiple sites that look for Adblock, uBlock Origin, and likely others and then block their content from you if you are running them. Lately, some sites have gotten even sneakier and put some of the content required for the page to operate on some of the sites where they keep their advertisements. Neither of the tools blocks content that is displayed in a reasonable manner.

The net is this. If a site is unusable unless I turn off my ad blocker, I don't use it. There are too many alternatives that do not abuse the subscriber.
2021 Dutchman Kodiak Ultra-Light 283BHSL
2019 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92
ProPride 3P

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
try Adblock plus

Thanks for the suggestion, Lantley. Quick question: is it permissible to have 2 ad blockers installed?

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
looks as if Popcornflix only works in USA

Last time I checked, Amarillo is still in the USA, unless TX seceded from the union when I wasn't looking! :B

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Are you watching on your computer, or using an Amazon Firestick?

We use a Firestick and it is great, but I don't know if there is anything we can do about the advertisements.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
try Adblock plus
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
looks as if Popcornflix only works in USA
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.