cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck starts on its own

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Last night was watching tv heard my truck start . Went into my garage truck was running all lights on dashboard was flashing, Has anyone else had this to happen? The key was off
2019 Duramax. 2500 HD 80 thousand miles

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS
66 REPLIES 66

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
As to opening the hood, parked in the garage I would simply not close the drivers door all the way.

I donโ€™t know about the newer models but our 2014 GMC will remote start just fine with the doors open.

Our 2015.5 GMC 2500 and our two other vehicles (Acura and mercedes) with remote start won't activate remote start unless the doors and trunk are closed and locked and the hood closed and windows up and no CEL.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
wnjj wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
As to opening the hood, parked in the garage I would simply not close the drivers door all the way.

I donโ€™t know about the newer models but our 2014 GMC will remote start just fine with the doors open.

Are you sure?? One needs to lock doors first, sensors would sense door open. Now I need to test!

Just tried it again. Doors lock fine with the door open. Then remote start is fine too.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bigfoot affair wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
JBarca wrote:
WOW....

toedtoes, this thread is becoming an educational event. That After Run System is for sure not a normal vehicle thing. First, does everyone read the manual that closely? Second, not knowing all the background on Busdrivers situation, could there be a temp sensor malfunction and it engage the After Run System?

Wonder how many dealers even know about such a feature.

Then comes the, if equipped. Not sure if GM still uses the RPO code feature, but how does one know if your truck has this After Run System feature?

Yeah, it really surprised me too. And I suspect most dealerships don't know about it.

For many owners, it would probably never happen. But for RVers, this is a BIG deal.

I wonder how many folks think they must have hit their fob when the truck actually activated this feature.

Well, Busdriver doesn't have the after run system as his truck is a 2019. The after run system was introduced for the 2020 model year.

If this happened the one time and I had my key's in my pocket while I was snoozing on the couch, sure wouldn't be posting about it... Get on with life.

I couldn't find a introduction year for the system - that's why I posted that it came from a 2020 model year manuel.

It may not be why this happened to the OP, but how many folks with a 2020 or newer truck know about it?

I do agree, if it happened once with the fob in a pocket or purse, etc, I too would assume I hit the fob. But, ifthe fog was sitting on a table or hanging up, I'd sure be checking for answers. I wouldn't just blindly accept a serviceman's "it must be a nearby wifi signal" as gospel (and I grew up in a dealership and serviceman family).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
toedtoes wrote:
Found a thread with this quoted from a 2020 model manuel:

"AFTER-RUN SYSTEM (HD Model)

HD models are equipped with an engine cooling feature that may be required to run after a heavy towing event. The After-Run System will keep the engine running, or may restart the engine, for 10โ€“15 minutes to ensure the engine and related components are properly cooled. See Driving and Operating in your Duramax Diesel Manual."

And

Intended Vehicle Use: After a Heavy Towing Event
If equipped, when the vehicle is turned off after towing heavy loads, the system may automatically restart the engine. A chime will sound and DIC messages will display. The engine will automatically turn off after 10โ€“15 minutes of run time or if enough cooling has occurred.
If the DIC messages display after the vehicle has been stopped and placed in P (Park) with the engine still running, remain in the vehicle with the engine running until these messages no longer display. It may take up to 15 minutes of idling. Do not park the vehicle in an enclosed area if the messages display.
If the system determines that the engine should be restarted and the ignition is turned off, the engine will turn off and then automatically restart. If the engine is restarted, DIC messages display and chimes will sound. The vehicle cannot be shifted out of P (Park) unless the feature is overridden.
Never leave occupants in the vehicle, and always take the keys and lock the doors if you must leave the vehicle idling. Some local laws prohibit a vehicle from idling unattended. Always remain with the vehicle until it automatically turns off. This could take up to 15 minutes.
If the system determines that the vehicle was not allowed to restart, or if a condition such as an open hood has been detected, then DIC messages display and a chime will sound. To help with system performance, either restart the engine, or if the engine is not running and the hood can be safely opened after one minute, open the hood to allow cooling.
If the system has automatically restarted the engine, the vehicle cannot move until cooling has completed and the engine automatically turns off. Overriding this feature will allow normal vehicle operation. To override, start the vehicle as you would normally. Then either drive the vehicle as normal or turn off the ignition if you must exit the vehicle. Opening the hood will prevent the restart or will turn the engine off when this feature is active.

Interesting, on older diesels there were add on devices to do this.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
wnjj wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

Are you sure?? One needs to lock doors first, sensors would sense door open. Now I need to test!

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:

HD models are equipped with an engine cooling feature that may be required to run after a heavy towing event. The After-Run System will keep the engine running, or may restart the engine, for 10โ€“15 minutes to ensure the engine and related components are properly cooled. See Driving and Operating in your Duramax Diesel Manual."

And

If equipped, when the vehicle is turned off after towing heavy loads, the system may automatically restart the engine. A chime will sound and DIC messages will display. The engine will automatically turn off after 10โ€“15 minutes of run time or if enough cooling has occurred.
If the DIC messages display after the vehicle has been stopped and placed in P (Park) with the engine still running, remain in the vehicle with the engine running until these messages no longer display. It may take up to 15 minutes of idling. Do not park the vehicle in an enclosed area if the messages display.
If the system determines that the engine should be restarted and the ignition is turned off, the engine will turn off and then automatically restart. If the engine is restarted, DIC messages display and chimes will sound. The vehicle cannot be shifted out of P (Park) unless the feature is overridden.
Never leave occupants in the vehicle, and always take the keys and lock the doors if you must leave the vehicle idling. Some local laws prohibit a vehicle from idling unattended. Always remain with the vehicle until it automatically turns off. This could take up to 15 minutes.
If the system determines that the vehicle was not allowed to restart, or if a condition such as an open hood has been detected, then DIC messages display and a chime will sound. To help with system performance, either restart the engine, or if the engine is not running and the hood can be safely opened after one minute, open the hood to allow cooling.
If the system has automatically restarted the engine, the vehicle cannot move until cooling has completed and the engine automatically turns off. Overriding this feature will allow normal vehicle operation. To override, start the vehicle as you would normally. Then either drive the vehicle as normal or turn off the ignition if you must exit the vehicle. Opening the hood will prevent the restart or will turn the engine off when this feature is active.

Mayne his truck left his garage without him knowing on its own, went out and towed a large excavator up a 10 mile long 10% grade, then returned, garaged itself, and decided it needed a cool down?

toedtoes wrote:
JBarca wrote:
WOW....

toedtoes, this thread is becoming an educational event. That After Run System is for sure not a normal vehicle thing. First, does everyone read the manual that closely? Second, not knowing all the background on Busdrivers situation, could there be a temp sensor malfunction and it engage the After Run System?

Then comes the, if equipped. Not sure if GM still uses the RPO code feature, but how does one know if your truck has this After Run System feature?

Yeah, it really surprised me too. And I suspect most dealerships don't know about it.

For many owners, it would probably never happen. But for RVers, this is a BIG deal.

I wonder how many folks think they must have hit their fob when the truck actually activated this feature.

Well, Busdriver doesn't have the after run system as his truck is a 2019. The after run system was introduced for the 2020 model year.

If this happened the one time and I had my key's in my pocket while I was snoozing on the couch, sure wouldn't be posting about it... Get on with life.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
JBarca wrote:
WOW....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rhagfo wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
And benefit of the doubt that busdriver would not be trying to fix this issue if it was due to him butt dialing his truck with the key fob in his pocket. Sheeshโ€ฆ

The bed it of doubt would be easier if he would come back and state where the the key fobs were at at the time of the accidental remote start.
So many have made comments to the thought โ€œNo Wayโ€ can the buttons be bumped in the pocket to activate a remote start.
Having it happen to me twice in the four years, it isnโ€™t as impossible as many may think. As to opening the hood, parked in the garage I would simply not close the drivers door all the way.

Good point. There are members here whom Iโ€™d consider to not be smart enough to realize they were the ones starting their own truck by butt dialing their key fob.
But thatโ€™s why I said benefit of the doubt.
Or maybe thatโ€™s why busdriver hasnโ€™t responded. Since he just realized what happened...
But for his/her sake Iโ€™ll go with benefit of the doubt or otherwise it would be impolite to suggest someone would be that ignorant to not understand that.
Since most people with 3 year old $70k trucks, it isnโ€™t their first vehicle with a key fob.

To add to this, this issue is not unheard of. Either starting or attempting to start without any user input. How prevalent it is, have no idea. And to get a dealer to replicate even a small intermittent issue is generally an act of futility, meaning this would likely be a very difficult issue to diagnose.
I've never given it much thought, but an event like this would kill my dogs and probably the cat, as they spend their nights in the garage.

Maybe the OP will update further. If not, oh well...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
WOW....

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II

And

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
And benefit of the doubt that busdriver would not be trying to fix this issue if it was due to him butt dialing his truck with the key fob in his pocket. Sheeshโ€ฆ

The bed it of doubt would be easier if he would come back and state where the the key fobs were at at the time of the accidental remote start.
So many have made comments to the thought โ€œNo Wayโ€ can the buttons be bumped in the pocket to activate a remote start.
Having it happen to me twice in the four years, it isnโ€™t as impossible as many may think. As to opening the hood, parked in the garage I would simply not close the drivers door all the way.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
You could probably modify the engine hood switch to fool the remote starter in thinking the hood is opened.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS