cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Heater Dometic 2022 Burning Rough Not Work Hi Altitude

tiptoptune
Explorer
Explorer
this is in a 2023 bigfoot truck camper, the Dometic water heater is a model WH-6GEA and 2022 year. It is gas and 110v.
bought unit at 7,000 feet
lit right away, burned what i thought was rougher than our 2000 model we traded in, and it went out after 30 seconds and relit automatically and stayed lit. Tried a couple times and it stayed lit, but to me was little rough burning, but flame was all blue

at 7,500 feet and above it lits, sputters for a few and then goes out, it shoots a small blue flame out the exhaust when it auto re lites. repeat and does not stay lit. i open the door and it stays lit, but is a bit rough but flame is blue.

At 500 feet elevation it lites, and stays lit, but a bit rough to me, flame is blue, and a few times it sputtered and shot the small blue flame out.

I do not want to rejet for hi altitude even though the majority of use is 7,000 to 10,000 feet. I do travle to sea level so need it to work there too is reason i do not want to mess with jetting. I think the big issue is the way the vent is designed. it is one vent top exhaust and bottom intake. it is too small of inlet and it is cut into the door at the top of water heater and burner tube where it needs air is at bottom of the door. Compared to our 2000 year model the intake vent area is about half. We have used it about 20 times and it is already turning the white metal cover a little brown just above the exhaust vent. I am thinking making a new temp cover and experimenting with adding a vent at bottom of heater near the burner tube. anyone have any ideas?

pic of cover
2023 Bigfoot 2500 10.4 TC on 2000 3500 dually duramax
Previous - Bigfoot 10.11 TC, lance TC, King Of Road 5th.
5 REPLIES 5

tiptoptune
Explorer
Explorer
This heater does not have the adjustable burner tube. Just ordered a new door and a stainless steel louver vent that is 5 inch square to cut into the door near the burner tube in hopes of giving it more air. Probably should have R&R orfice and cleaned it first. Anyone ever add a vent?

Other issue is the exhaust is turning the paint to slight brownish on the door and even looks like it may be affecting the fiberglass body and trim piece an inch above the exhaust. Going to contact Bigfoot on that one. Anyone seeing this on their newer rig with a heater like this?

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
tiptoptune wrote:
this is in a 2023 bigfoot truck camper, the Dometic water heater is a model WH-6GEA and 2022 year. It is gas and 110v.
bought unit at 7,000 feet
lit right away, burned what i thought was rougher than our 2000 model we traded in, and it went out after 30 seconds and relit automatically and stayed lit. Tried a couple times and it stayed lit, but to me was little rough burning, but flame was all blue

at 7,500 feet and above it lits, sputters for a few and then goes out, it shoots a small blue flame out the exhaust when it auto re lites. repeat and does not stay lit. i open the door and it stays lit, but is a bit rough but flame is blue.

At 500 feet elevation it lites, and stays lit, but a bit rough to me, flame is blue, and a few times it sputtered and shot the small blue flame out.

I do not want to rejet for hi altitude even though the majority of use is 7,000 to 10,000 feet. I do travle to sea level so need it to work there too is reason i do not want to mess with jetting. I think the big issue is the way the vent is designed. it is one vent top exhaust and bottom intake. it is too small of inlet and it is cut into the door at the top of water heater and burner tube where it needs air is at bottom of the door. Compared to our 2000 year model the intake vent area is about half. We have used it about 20 times and it is already turning the white metal cover a little brown just above the exhaust vent. I am thinking making a new temp cover and experimenting with adding a vent at bottom of heater near the burner tube. anyone have any ideas?

pic of cover

so your kinda in a pickel, sounds like it is justted wrong to start with if it works fine with the door open. the highest I have been with my camper is 6200 feet and I didnt have to adjust the air intake from when I camped at 30 feet. I initialy set it up so there was a tinge of yellow on the flame tips then when I shut the door it gooes just pure blue, but I have the adjustable air shutter. you might need to go to a different jet size, and since the air is not adjustable if the jet isnt hard to change out you might want to have a couple, one for higher altitudes and one for lower.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
There are a few thigns that can cause "Rough" burning and other problems

Insects sometimes nest in the hot path...
Dirty Gas Jet (Orifice)
And in your case the suspect #1 is the air/fuel ratio.

There is a sliding collar on the large burner tube just past the gas very much smaller gas jet.. at high altitude you need to slide it so the "Windows" in the tube open a bit more.. Your eyes and ears are the "Meters" you use to make the adjustment You want a clean flame and proper sound... The OWner's manual if in color, has photos or you can to the thing I don't like... YOU TUBE

Here is the RV Doctor https://youtu.be/nSjDklZh4ws

The information you provided is wrong. You provided info for an Atwood water heater.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are a few thigns that can cause "Rough" burning and other problems

Insects sometimes nest in the hot path...
Dirty Gas Jet (Orifice)
And in your case the suspect #1 is the air/fuel ratio.

There is a sliding collar on the large burner tube just past the gas very much smaller gas jet.. at high altitude you need to slide it so the "Windows" in the tube open a bit more.. Your eyes and ears are the "Meters" you use to make the adjustment You want a clean flame and proper sound... The OWner's manual if in color, has photos or you can to the thing I don't like... YOU TUBE

Here is the RV Doctor https://youtu.be/nSjDklZh4ws
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tiptoptune
Explorer
Explorer
should have added that the furnace and refrigerator work at the higher altitudes on gas so i do not think it is a system wide pressure regulator issue. I did call Dometic and they told me they are not designed to operate at the altitude i am at and had no recommendations other than take to a service center. We not wanting to do that.